Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Weird Discovery

Is this texture pictures of kevin clouds arm with wood borders around it? I was analyzing what material this texture is made of and noticed the hairs on my arm flow in the same direction as the 'scratches' on this texture.

Well, next time I make a map, I'm going to exclusively use that texture so I can call it "Tribute to Kevin Cloud's Arm Hair". =P

I never spotted it before but, yup, it looks like a hairy arm to me too.

Jeez, you ruined the texture for me :(

But yeah it does look like the exact same material as the fist 'weapon'.

Well, the sliced-open, bloody skin texture was already revealed to be a snapshot of a wound (I think Kevin's knee), so this doesn't surprise me.

Wasn't that already known? I am positive about the wound thing, and recall that the "skin" textures are actually skin...but skin as wood...heh

Maes said:

Wasn't that already known? I am positive about the wound thing

Yeah, In the book "The Masters of Doom" it is mentioned that the team were taking photos of things to use as textures, and they took a picture of a scab on someone's knee (I can't remember who) and used it as a texture in the game. I'm pretty sure this is the texture:

JohnnyRancid said:

Yeah, In the book "The Masters of Doom" it is mentioned that the team were taking photos of things to use as textures, and they took a picture of a scab on someone's knee (I can't remember who) and used it as a texture in the game. I'm pretty sure this is the texture:

I know it was supposed to be gorey before, but now that kinda grosses me out.

Maes said:

Wasn't that already known? I am positive about the wound thing, and recall that the "skin" textures are actually skin...but skin as wood...heh

I always assumed it was a wood framed skin texture. That was hard to place on anything.

I just realized how long I've been here. Damn.

Yeah, SKINFACE is from Kevin Cloud's anorexia experiment during sunbathing.

But honestly, I always thought it was lowly hanging wrinkly skin framed in wood. When I was younger, I thought SKINCUT and SKINSCAB were horiffic. This texture didn't really make me feel anything.

Odd. You're all freaking out and I don't even recognize the original texture. Is it only in Doom 1? Where is it used?

Odd to discover that hairy arm skin textures have become marginally more disturbing than the game's ample supply of strewn corpses and entrails.

It's also at the beginning of The Courtyard in Doom2. My arm hair looks nothing like that... It's all straight.

Well if anyone needs to do some fist or arm weapon sprites, you know where to get some filler texture from.

So, what we see in those screenshots is that a thematically schizophrenic texture is actually right at home in a thematically schizophrenic environment. It's strange how all of those textures still kind of feel like they belong together.

Butts said:

It's also at the beginning of The Courtyard in Doom2. My arm hair looks nothing like that... It's all straight.

I also used it in map27 of cc2. The hair on my arms is so thin and light you can barely see it. I'd fail at Doom textures.