Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Abyssalstudios1

What's up with Compet-n?

The archive on the Compet-n database only goes up through 2005. There also haven't been any updates to the site since 2005. I find it very hard to believe that no one has done a speedrun since then, or that the site maintainers decided to quit all together. But then again, I've only been playing Doom for a year and a half, so I may be missing something.

Sure, lots of demos have been recorded for compet-n since then, and they are in the /incoming folder.

But no, the site has not been maintained, or the incoming demos officially processed, for several years.

It's not a very satisfactory situation, but Adam Hegyi doesn't seem to have found anyone to take it over, and no one has seen fit to try to try to take it over (in some manner) without his blessing. It's more than just a simple matter of finding someone to do the donkey work (which might not be such a simple task in itself, of course), but anyone who maintains the compet-n site would need to have a great deal of technical expertise and be widely respected.

perhaps the compet-n demos could be transferred to doomedsda.us, it's the site i use to search even before compet-n now and easy to use. of course, if this isn't too much work for andy.

sad to see that adam left without a trace, among many other doomers.

If I could get my hands on the actual database the Compet-N site uses, integrating all the old demos into the DSDA wouldn't be difficult. In fact, I'd really like to do this, but I don't know if anyone still has access to the old site.

Your best bet would be to ask BahdKo, since she manages the Doom2.net server.

Grazza said:

It's not a very satisfactory situation, but Adam Hegyi doesn't seem to have found anyone to take it over, and no one has seen fit to try to try to take it over (in some manner) without his blessing. It's more than just a simple matter of finding someone to do the donkey work (which might not be such a simple task in itself, of course), but anyone who maintains the compet-n site would need to have a great deal of technical expertise and be widely respected.

Do you know anything about the fact why he is gone, what is he doing these days? I don't think I have seen for quite some years now.

Sorry, no idea. I never had any real contact with him.

My impression is that he finished his studies and moved on from Doom to other stuff (I'd guess a career of some sort), after a prolonged period where he had had little time for maintaining the site.

I guess the subject came up at the Prague LAN, probably in the pub. I have a vague recollection that even people who had been in touch with him were unsure what he is doing these days.

I'm working on reviving compet-n already. compet-n.com will be the new location, and theres gonna be a youtube chan named DoomCompetitioN with good quality conversions of all the records

Its gonna be based on a 1.9 mimmicking port. Old records will stand and be transfered to the new site, with a new database. Hopefully you'll all like the outcome of it, the idea is a hardcore classic compet-n site. We do ask for a slight patience tho, since theres details to work out, and stuff we need to have a proper solution for in order to make it a fair transfer of old recs to a new environment.

Some of the details Andy mentioned are pretty involved. As some examples, Doom recs have always encompassed quickstart, which was basic to the nature of Doom2.exe but a problem for ports. It can't be ignored in any modern Compet-N that intends to keep the old recs around in any form. Executable versions that too closely resemble the original Doom will have the problem of running somewhat slow-mo under modern operating systems, which amounts to a cheat. There's the consideration that open-source versions of Doom can have their source edited and recompiled by cheaters to give them an advantage.

I think Andy does intend to do as he says, and I recall Dashiva was looking at some of the issues with him at some point in the past. But yeah those yet-resolved details are important to a demo competition that needs integrity.

BTW there's nothing preventing anyone else from making a brand-new single player doom competition. I know from talking with Ocelot, Andy, and Dash that it's harder to make a doom demo competition 'right' today than it was when Compet-N started. Even smallish-seeming things like policy mistakes about which demos to allow in the competition could ruin such a thing - let too many in and you'll end up with a little clique of people doing tablefilling and turning your intended-competition into a giant collection of crappy newb demos.

There's pretty much an open competition whenever any new wad is released. If the demos are newby, then players can beat them.

This is pretty exciting news. This might be the thing to finally get me interested in speedrunning now.

I just want to add to this thread, that you are doing a wonderfull job with DSDA Andy. Its obviously been tedious, hard work from your side, and its much appreciated by everyone who cared about Dougs original consept.

Thanks, Andy! And it's great to hear someone is working on getting the Compet-N back up and running. I look forward to seeing the results. Is the plan to modify the old site and transfer it to a new location, or are you working on a completely new site?

Will the new C-N site accept chocolate doom / prboom demos or else I think it is doomed to die.

*Note: I haven't seen you on irc lately. :/