Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
trooper077

Scariest Moments In Games

What is the most frigtening moment in a game that you've experienced?

Mine would have to be in castlevania order of ecclesia when dracula starts walking FUCK that was scary

Wolfenstein 3D wasn't scary, but it's the only game that has haunted me in my dreams. Funny thing is, that in the dream I was fighting Nazis in an upside down pyramid instead of some Nazi castle.

Winnowing Halls in Hexen was scary when I was younger. Also, playing Hexen in coop and hearing the other player die as he jumps into a pit was scary because you could hear the sounds no matter how far away you were.

-Resident Evil dogs jumping through windows. On the Gamecube remake that is, it surprised the shit out of me since I never played the Playstation original

-Silent Hill 1 locker scene. That was completely unexpected with the angle the camera is during the cutscene.

-Condemned 1's school locker scene where you find that dude in the locker who seems to be dead due to missing an arm and pretty damn bloody. Take one picture but then your partner asks to take a close-up and that is when the surprise happened. Scared the shit out of me on my first run through that level.

Yeah i agree with the condemned one. One of mine was in Eternal Darkness for the gamecube where you would enter the bathroom and out of nowhere the camera zooms in on the main characters corpsey body in a bath of blood, accompanied with a screamer esque scream. And I was 8.

Doom scared the crap out of me when it first came out. Of course, I was like 9 at the time.

To reference a game no one else has played, the part in Return of the Phantom when the Phantom jumps out of the shadows while you're walking across the catwalk scared the crap out of me the first time. It doesn't help that he then proceeds to throw you backwards in time.

It's been to long since I was really creeped out by a game to really remember a good example, though.

I recently played Clock Tower for the SNES and it was the first game in a very long time that's actually scared me, so I think they did a pretty decent job with that one. :D

When I was young I was afraid of one of the music tracks in Lemmings. I was also afraid of the level in Goldeneye where you're at the snow place again, but everything's got that reddish glow.

Almost every unique enemy in Elvira, especially if you're unprepared and end up dead :P

Heh, lots of games scared me when I was little. X-Com gave me nightmares because of that opening scene, and the brooding music during the battles. Duke Nukem 64 (yeah, the nintendo version) scared me pretty bad because most of the levels were really dark, you could hear the monsters grunting around you, and there was no music. Let's see.. Quake used to scare me, and honestly it still kinda does. More recently, the chase sequence at the end of 7 Days a Skeptic was pretty freakin' intense.

Oh yeah, and the aforementioned scene from Eternal Darkness practically killed me.

The first one I can think of right off the bat were the hauntings in Silent Hill 4. What really made it seem scary to me was just how quiet it was. Everything was quiet, nothing out of the ordinary. I was going to stash some items in the items chest and although I didn't know it, I had screwed myself over quite a while ago. I didn't know that if you put the shabby doll in the chest, it becomes haunted and damages you every time you get too close. So I went into the living room and BAM. Screaming babies popped out of the wall, my screen started flashing red, and my health started to drain. After taking the shabby doll out and putting it in a second time I pretty much got the idea that I should hold on to it.

Sure, Doom 3 was pretty dark in sections, but the whole thing is seriously overblown. I never had trouble seeing enemies in dimly lit areas (except when that was intended), and in the case of imps, their fireballs sort of guide you as to where they are. Sure yeah, the I can't play it for long periods of time, but whenever I sat down and played it I definitely enjoyed it.

Doom 3 was a good game.

The darkness in Doom 3 really didn't bother me too much. I honestly think that Fallout 3 was much worse about that. I had to crank up the brightness to the max in several places like the offices of the Museum of Natural History just so I could get a sense of where I was going. You also got a flashlight in Doom 3, unlike Fallout 3 where all you had was a little bit of light from your pip boy.

dark forces on hard with last life. the dianoga and the terminator dark troopers in particular. the interactive music didn't help.
and when i was a kid, i was mentally scarred by the screams of the burning people in crusader: no remorse. does that count?

There were a few scary spots in Half-Life, there's a hallway with those headcrab things which comes to mind but I have no idea where in the game it is.

A well-placed Archvile or Cyberdemon is plenty scary.

Craigs said:

The darkness in Doom 3 really didn't bother me too much. I honestly think that Fallout 3 was much worse about that. I had to crank up the brightness to the max in several places like the offices of the Museum of Natural History just so I could get a sense of where I was going. You also got a flashlight in Doom 3, unlike Fallout 3 where all you had was a little bit of light from your pip boy.

yeah the light from the pip boy fucked me over alot sometimes i would just shoot off my linkcoln rifle to make all the enemies come to me so i know nothing wont shaft me over in the dark eeven then i got shit rocketed but the odd ghoul or super mutant

When the room was quiet, and while playing DooM, an Imp popped out of nowhere. Got a startling jolt from that.
Other than that, none.

-Any game that requires the player to swim through deep water. I absolutely hate having to go in deep water :(
-Jabba's Ship in Dark Forces. More specifically, the kell dragons.
-Doom 3 had a bunch of scary moments, especially the bathrooms.

Lord_Z said:

-Doom 3 had a bunch of scary moments, especially the bathrooms.

Hell yeah, when you return through Mars City and look in the bathroom mirror.. I just about shat myself.

Lord_Z said:

-Any game that requires the player to swim through deep water. I absolutely hate having to go in deep water :(

Heh, I used to love deep water in games, that is until I got Gex for the nintendo 64 for my 11th birthday anyway. I got to the usual generic underwater level and made the mistake of swimming too close to the ground. All of a sudden some kind of eel thing popped out and scared the shit out of me.

dew said:

dark forces on hard with last life. the dianoga and the terminator dark troopers in particular. the interactive music didn't help.

Boo!

Krispavera said:

Duke Nukem 64 (yeah, the nintendo version) scared me pretty bad because most of the levels were really dark, you could hear the monsters grunting around you, and there was no music.

Duke Nukem normally doesn't scare me at all. But when you are in a level full of slimers in this game, and you hear their creepy noises... Yeah, that's my scariest moment in a game so far.

I also used to hate the ghost valley levels in Super Mario Kart when I was younger. Maybe it was just the music with all of the "moans" of ghosts and dead people.

* Wolfenstein 3d: I was haunted by the boss-in-regular-level-beyond-a-deep-secret myth. I was especially scared when playing with the PC sound. Every time I was hearing a door close, I had to make sure it's not actually a boss behind the corner!
* Diablo 2: with all the new poisonous matter which I thought could destroy my character (not), treading through the desert tombs was no nice task. The long-haired, michaeljacksonesque TALL undead were strangely creepy (well, the expansion nerfed some of their sound effects. Previously they sounded lethal)
* Baldur's Gate 2: played for the first time, the large crypt caused me to shiver.
* Half-life: the barnacles were a definite no-no for me playing that thing any more.

Lots of moments in Doom 3, but especially whenever there were those spiders on screen.

Also any moment in Resident Evil when there were spiders.

There were also a few times in Pong when I thought I would never make it over to the ball in time that were pretty scary. But I'm thinking this is a different kind of fear :^)

You know that scene in Doom 3 where you encounter the first Lost Soul? The one where you find the woman, and all the sudden she starts shaking and her head and spine rip out of her body? That freaked the friggin' hell out of me. There were also a couple of moments with the whispering voices that really scared me.

What really scared me in Doom 3 were the zombies. Not the commando zombies I mean. Just good ol' z-sec and regular zombies, because they always had the habit of sneaking up on me when I was somewhere where I couldn't hear them too well or when I was busy working with a console or putting a combination into a safe. Like one time when I was working with a control panel near a machine that was so loud that it drowned out all other noises. I finished with the console and turn around to find myself face to face with a faceless zombie and end up with a bloodstained wrench lodged in my face.

Lord_Z said:

Yes! I hate this. Vision get's all fucked up, you can't move well, and stuff can come up right below you. I always tried avoiding water and/or spending as little time in it as possible because I always feared something was going to come up and eat me. And half the time I was right! Bastard level designers. :P I hate all fish-monsters for that reason.

Mattfrie1 said:

Duke Nukem normally doesn't scare me at all. But when you are in a level full of slimers in this game, and you hear their creepy noises... Yeah, that's my scariest moment in a game so far.

Yeah, those things scared me too. Especially since they could sneak up to you if you weren't careful and latch on to your face. I always get a bad feeling when I see their eggs and the green stuff on the walls.

Actually, pretty much anything that runs up to engage you in melee I hated, especially monsters. I don't know why. Probably too many times in Doom, Quake, and Quake 2 where something would start eating me whenever I fell into a pit. For this reason I hated the pinkys in Doom, the mutants in Quake 2, the barnacles and headcrabs in Half-Life, and the Fiends in Quake. Speaking of fiends, the first one you encounter in Quake scared the crap out of me the first time I saw it. I think the suspense of the door taking forever only helps add tension to it, then you see it standing there and you're like "what the shit is th-" then it jumps at you and you start screaming and flailing. Damn... I forgot how awesome games like that were for me when I was a kid. FPSs just tend to enrage or bore me these days.

printz said:

* Wolfenstein 3d: I was haunted by the boss-in-regular-level-beyond-a-deep-secret myth. I was especially scared when playing with the PC sound. Every time I was hearing a door close, I had to make sure it's not actually a boss behind the corner!

I remember someone telling me something similar. That and the fact that the secret levels were level 10 made me think they had bosses tougher than the end-of-episode bosses hidden in them somewhere.

david_a said:

Alien vs Predator 2 - the marine missions.

Yes and the ones from the first game where scary as all hell too. I hated how the messed with your motion tracker all the time. I wasted so much ammo because of that.