Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Sephiroth

your system sucks

we have alot of kids in my school that think the only gameing system is a playstation 2 or a 2ghz computer. I always hear stuff like you still got a PIII and my 256MB ram is better. first off i use a PIII 550 and it still kicks ass. also i hear stuff like TNT2 and Geforce 2 cards are old. hell geforece 2 card are still damn good, tnt2 card also work nice. My system can run games that it would be unable to with out that card. Also i still have a pentium 166 which i use to compile quake/halflife maps. as for the ram they think they have more than me just cause that is what a system came with, hell you would be luck to get 256 with a computer. I got 320mb ram. of course these are the same kids that say doom sucks and quake3 rocks.

AMD K6 333 64 Mb RAM GeForce2. Compared to most systems, It sucks the Big Hairy Pockmarked One, but Half-Life runs real well on it. So does Doom. That's all I need.

As long as you can play the games you want to play what does it matter?

It helps if the computer can run them ;)

Some people use big cars or big guns or big televisions or big computers or join the military to make up for the fact that they have no shaft on their penis. It goes right from pubes to helmet. Sad, really.

Ehe...yeah.

Actually, I have a system at home that's an AMD K6-III+ 550, overclocked to 792Mhz (!) on a 132Mhz frontside bus. I had to jump up the core voltage by almost a full volt, put a copper Athlon waterblock on the CPU, and put heatsinks (one with active cooling) on the northbridge and the clock generator. Anyway, that system, with 512MB of PC150 SDRAM @ CL2 and a Voodoo5, runs Max Payne, RTCW, and pretty much everything else just peachy. ^_^ Just goes to show you what you can do with a little overclocking, and that old hardware can go a long way. Most people would scowl at a K6 system used as a gaming rig, but can you really argue with a rock-solid 60FPS at 1024x768x32?

PII 333 64MB with 8MB ATI RAGE, 13GB local and an ageing motherboard...

It's great for Doom!! Ahem...

Kat, check out my earlier post in Sephiroth's cheap shit thread which you failed to read before!!

Ehe...yeah.

Actually, I have a system at home that's an AMD K6-III+ 550, overclocked to 792Mhz (!)...

...Just goes to show you what you can do with a little overclocking...

A "little" overclocking? Huuuu... Kat, me fears you :)

Well, as long as the watercooler keeps watertight... not bad :) Ahem, one of my Macs I have fitted out with a 500 mhz accelerator board, one that comes with a G3 processor. The original processor in that Mac is (that chip is still inside) a 60 mhz PPC601. That is also quite impressive, eh? From 60 mhz to 500 mhz RISC. Despite I have not done much to gain the extra speed, just bought the board (cheap) and put it in. Of course way slower than my G4, but since that Mac, a PM 6100, black painted, looks so sweet in its low profile housing (Peter smiles at that Mac and he smiles back).

hell speaking of overclocking. As my title says i have goten some wierd shit to work. i had a 486AMD overclocked to 200mhz (from 100). may not seem much but the motherboard was only made for 100mhz. I did this by playing with jumpers, no monification to the main board. it was nice for a older system. also even with double the speed and uping of the voltage heat was not much of a problem

I have a 1.2 GHz Athlon with 128 MB of RAM and a GeForce 2 MMX card. It performs really well for most games, but I get really shit FPS on some games, and I can't explain it.
I also have my old PII 266 MHz with 96 MB of RAM. I use that one to play Doom.

I said it many times already. TI 86, with 6MHz Z80 processor, 96K RAM, 128x64 display and a link port. Plus a BASIC interpreter and a calculator program inbuilt into the ROM. The only disadvantage of the system is the lack of QWERTY keyboard (it has an ABCDE one, though), otherwise it beats the crap out of any newer computers.

>>> 1.4 T-Bird (runs stably at 11.5 x 138 = 1.587 whenever the fuck I want using the stock AIR cooling =)

>>> 512MB DDR266 (PC2100) RAM

>>> GeForce 2 GTS 5.5ns 32MB 200/365@228/400

(At 228/400 it roughly equals the performance of a
GeForce 2 Pro 64MB card--and yes I have the numbers to prove it--so I'm holding onto it until GeForce 5 comes out =)

>>> AMD761/VIA686B chipset

>>> Some ridiculously fast DVD-ROM and CD-RW Drives

>>> Western Digital 40GB ATA100 7200RPM HD

>>> SB Live!

>>> Some ridiculously fast NIC, but who gives a fuck if your NIC is fast when you're downloading from
F{ag}ileplanet and you get .000001 Kb/s

>>> And it's all in a plain full tower beige case that's practically nuke proof and weighs around 1,000 lbs. And oh yeah, it has more airflow than the wind tunnel at Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab and can be quieted with my homemade fan voltage regulator.

Kat...BTW, overvolting your K6 by 1.0V will shorten its lifespan considerably because of electromigration. I hope you keep that thing at -20C or else it won't last too long ;-)

That's why I don't volt mod any of my stuff unless I'm prepared to sacrifice it to the chip gods.

/yawns

Holy shit, must be like a year since the last time I wrote something here. =P

Anyway, I use an Athlon 750, 256mb(133)ram, geForce 2 gts 32mb(sdr, i think).

It does everything I need it to, but for some reason, most Direct3D games run like molasses on a cold day. My buddy's machine (p3-450, geforce1 32ddr,192ram), runs Unreal Tourney almost the same.

Still, I don't see any reason why I just HAVE to have 2 ghz cpu, unless I was doing professional animation or something(dream on^^).

Bah. It doesn't matter what PC you have.

In general, PCs rock.

Consoles suck.

So does rock/metal music. (sucks)

Back way back when, ram used to be $60 per meg, the cost of 256 then? 15,000 bucks :(

Uh oh, gramps is remebering the old days :P

Sephiroth: Ignore them damn kids.
They're just like one of my classmates back in my public school days, who said that Doom sucked only a year after Doom came out.

What counts is that you can play the games YOU like on your comp.

What counts is that you can play the games YOU like on your comp.

Damn straight. The inability to play Quake 3 should be a selling point. =)

I'm on a P3 450mhz with 256 of SDRam and (sadly) a GeForce 2 MX. I've played around with a ghz Thunderbird with 512 DDR and a GeForce 3 TI500, and quite frankly, I'm not really missing out on anything.

The games play, I can see them, the framerates are playable. It's like the better nVidia card you buy the worse the drivers get. At this point the only video cards I would even consider buying would be a Radeon or a Kyro, preferably in the latest available flavor. That 8500 looks damn nice, but I'll most likely go with a Kyro instead. I wish they'd get that Goddamn 3 out there already.

I have a pentium 200 MMX with 16mb ram and a 2MB S3 virge video card. It is slow but it even runs quake 2 at a decent frame rate...and oh yeah, 2GB HDD (which due I had to format due to an annoying little brother)

How many times do I have to say this? The Geforce 2 MX is utter crap. If you have one in your system, IT IS WHY YOU ARE GETTING BAD FRAME RATES. Period. It's slower than a TNT2.

Also, deadie (heehee), wait for the Kyro III if you're going to get a Kyro, or at the very least get the "Ultra" model of the KII, which is clocked at 225Mhz, and significantly faster.