Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr. Freeze

Fake Marine spotted at Reno Airport

I've been harassed by both cops and military men for wearing an old camo parka. It wasn't even an official issued coat (It was made in China).

EDIT: Boy there are some true Americans on that board.

Technician said:

I've been harassed by both cops and military men for wearing an old camo parka. It wasn't even an official issued coat (It was made in China).

Over here you can wear full camo clothing and even a beret if you want, as long as you don't have any rank, corps, school, or nationality insignia on it.

As a souvenir from my army tour of duty, I have 5 full camo fatigues (complete with their corps and rank insignia) that I use for hunting/mountaneering/grease work and a tailor-made battledress/high uniform. However, unless I'm recalled for a drill/post-duty training or a war breaks out, I would too run into troubles if I wore them in public without stripping them of their insignia.

Haha, personal story time. Buddy of mine went to a bar dressed as a marine, trying to pick up chicks. He ended up hitting on the wrong chick (her boyfriend was in Iraq) and he got his ass handed to him by a girl half his size. He still has a scar above his eye.

Yeah, I don't see what's wrong with just wearing camo. However, wearing a full-on military uniform is just asinine if you haven't served. But I lol'd at this comment in the thread:

The marines have standards....I doubt he would pass

Yeeeaaah...

Maes said:

Over here you can wear full camo clothing and even a beret if you want, as long as you don't have any rank, corps, school, or nationality insignia on it.

No insignia, it's just the camo patern is the same as todays modern wears.

Wearing cammo is one thing, trying to pass yourself off as a marine is another. Clearly this guy was a foreskin or something (ie, a bit of a dick).

I would like to state that I am very happy with the current size of Doomworld avatars. And the fact that they are located on the side of posts.

Oh, and I guess dressing up as a military dude is fairly stupid.

Technician said:

No insignia, it's just the camo patern is the same as todays modern wears.

Duh, then those assholes giving you shit didn't know jack. I wonder how they would react before re-enacting societies, softair/paintball teams or wannabe-mercs gangs, then. They were probably just being squarebadges looking for someone to vent on.

That guy is a failure. If you're gonna pretend to be a marine in public at least get your uniform right. It even looks wrong to us non-military guys from other countries.

What's the point of pretending to be a marine? Do you get a veteran discount at stores or something? Not to be baggin on any of our troops but having a military uniform on in public isn't really impressive to me.

The marines have standards....I doubt he would pass

My dad used to be a colonial in the military (he was a doctor though, so he didn't see too much of the front lines) and when he was stationed in Fort Bragg he saw his fair share of marines who had nearly killed themselves doing stupid shit. Hell, one of his patients nearly died after he tried to drive home on a crotch rocket after having a few beers.

My friend knew this guy who was a marine sniper...nearly split his face open when firing a magnum because he held it wrong. Then my friend's wife ran off with him. :/ Women have no good taste in men. :P

What stood out most to me is the way he slouched. Just about every person I've seen in a military uniform has had a posture that would put a telephone pole to shame.

On a related (?) note, the SS Nazis in Doom don't wear proper SS (or Wehrmacht, for that matter) uniforms. In all the WW II documentation I have, I have not seen a single German unit of the period wearing blue overalls or fatigues.

Closest there is, are the grey/blu Luftwaffe uniforms of the period (which also have that garisson cap), which however have nothing to do with the SS:

If anything, they seem to dress exactly like the SWAT team at the beginning of the first "Dawn of the dead" movie. Especially the blond SWAT guys make me chuckle every time I see them, because they make me think of the SS nazis.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/2284356201_6627ef3636.jpg?v=0

I call bullshit on Maes' post. There is no way that Wolf 3D is anything but an exhaustively researched realistic shooter.

Creaphis said:

I call bullshit on Maes' post. There is no way that Wolf 3D is anything but an exhaustively researched realistic shooter.

IT'S TRUE

YOU CAN'T TURN WHILE YOU STRAFE

HAVE YOU TRIED DOING THAT IN REAL LIFE???

Butts said:

Ok, Creaphis, time to write an incredibly long argument.

Heh. When I say something ridiculous in only a sentence or two, it isn't intended to be taken seriously.

The corollary of this is that when I write something ridiculous in five paragraphs, it actually is intended to be taken seriously...

Creaphis said:

For that matter, almost none of the uniforms pictured in the game is historically accurate, except for Hitler's (in human form): a brown NSDAP/SA uniform.

For the rest however, the uniforms are out of place: the soldier guards, for example, appear to wear a cross between an SS/Wehrmacht uniform (Stahlhelm, boots, tunic, black collar patches) and an SA/NSDAP one (brown color, black leather belts/suspenders) , which never actually existed.

I already wrote about the "SS nazis", which actually look more like S.W.A.T. teams or British airmen with MP40 submachine guns....

The "white officers" are a bit more "in tune" but then again, only NDSAP/SA and Luftwaffe (air force) officers had white tunics.

So somehow, Wolf3Ds enemies all happen to be NDSAP members and officers, with some blue-dressed airmen/SWATs thrown into the mix.

Here's your incredibly long argument :-p