Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
David_Dweedle

How do I tell what my onboard graphics memory is?

Onboard GFX memory can either be:

a) Dedicated, a fixed amount (only on higher-end solutions). Look at your mobos/laptop specs for that.

b) Shared, fixed user-selectable amount (on older designs). Check mobo/laptop specs and/or BIOS settings.

c) Shared, system-managed amount. In this case you can't actually know beforehand how much you have got in a given instant.

In any case, going Desktop -> right click -> Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced... -> Adapter should report you how much is in currently in use.

Torn said:

But he said he's a total computer n00b. Cpu-Z, with such a 1337 name, is clearly aimed at t3h 1337 fux0r h4xx0r demographic. Let alone that he must go through the ultr4-1337 procedure of d0wnl04d1ng 1t and running it, which is too 1337.

That's even more 1337, and only meant for the fux0r h4xx0r 0v3rcl0xx0r AZN c4s3 m0dd0rz among us. Sorry kiddo, back to reading the paper printed manual for you.

Start -> Run -> devmgmt.msc -> Display Adapters -> Read Card name
Though this is for Windows XP, for Vista:
Start -> Type "Device Manager"(Without quotes) in the text box at the top, and it should show up on the Start menu.

Though GPU-Z is an easier solution, and you can get more detailed information on your video card.

Maes said:

In any case, going Desktop -> right click -> Properties -> Settings tab -> Advanced... -> Adapter should report you how much is in currently in use.

Oh, hey, looks like I have 128MB of video memory. And that's terrible.

Danarchy said:

Oh, hey, looks like I have 128MB of video memory. And that's terrible.

That's as many as four thirty-two.

Belial said:

And it's Gpu-Z anyway.

Ran it on my Pentium 200 MMX rig with XP with said Ati Pro card, and here are the results.

...YEAH. PH34R MY PCI ATI RAGE PRO'S 4194612 CROSSFIRE GPUs and 9484370 MHz GPU CLOCK!!! AND ALL THAT WITH 0 MB OF ONBOARD RAM!!!111! EXTREEEEEME1111!!!11!!

Thanks for the help guys. I found out what I needed to know.. My computers so out of date... Ive got one of those ATI Radeon Xpress 200 series things... I dont think i'll beable to run Star Wars knights of the old republic 2.. guess i'll have to locate an Xbox version.

Actually, it may be perfectly capable: Kotor 2 is a DirectX 9.0 game released in 2005, while the Xpress 200 is built around the Radeon R300 core, which is full DirectX 9.0 implementation.

Just be glad that you don't have an Intel GMA.

TO make a comparison, my Athlon XP 1400+ laptop with an Ati IGP320 is perfectly able to run Battlefield 1942, something which would be impossible with an Intel GMA on that CPU and with shared memory. However, you may need to set the memory to a certain amount before being able to play it (I had to switch between 16,32 and 64 depending on whether I needed more for game, or more memory for apps).

Maes said:

Actually, it may be perfectly capable: Kotor 2 is a DirectX 9.0 game released in 2005, while the Xpress 200 is built around the Radeon R300 core, which is full DirectX 9.0 implementation.

Just be glad that you don't have an Intel GMA.

TO make a comparison, my Athlon XP 1400+ laptop with an Ati IGP320 is perfectly able to run Battlefield 1942, something which would be impossible with an Intel GMA on that CPU and with shared memory. However, you may need to set the memory to a certain amount before being able to play it (I had to switch between 16,32 and 64 depending on whether I needed more for game, or more memory for apps).

I guess the only way for certain to know if I could run the game is go and buy it.. least EB would refund me if it didn't work.. Damn hassle that I live way out of the main city area..

You could try a demo or similarly specced game. Better yet, try Doom 3. If it runs it, you're game.

Maes said:

You could try a demo or similarly specced game. Better yet, try Doom 3. If it runs it, you're game.

Haha, yeah. Doom 3 required so much and it still didn't look as good as other games in it's time, then a lot of people were disappointed when they spent money on hardware and they saw how repetitive Doom 3 got.

Whoo said:

Haha, yeah. Doom 3 required so much and it still didn't look as good as other games in it's time, then a lot of people were disappointed when they spent money on hardware and they saw how repetitive Doom 3 got.

Yes, certainly this hardware was not useful for anything but Doom 3.