Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Rare Doom level pack? Check this out.

I was searching eBay and found the strangest disc. Its called "Doom Heaven II for Doom II". A Google search turned up no results and the disc itself in the eBay image looks very old. It apparently has 2500 levels plus other add ons. I thought you guys would want to take a look and since it seems pretty rare someone here might be interested in purchasing it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Doom-Heaven-II-for-Doom-II-PC-CD-2500-additional-levels_W0QQitemZ250473060906QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Software?hash=item3a515b9a2a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Tell me what you think.

I picked up a copy on eBay some time back and was disappointed with what I found - most of the wads are Doom-to-Doom2 conversions.

Looks like a typical shovelware disk. It's a nice touch that all the screenshots are from doom2.wad.

david_a said:

It's a nice touch that all the screenshots are from doom2.wad.

I noticed that too. Maybe its because, as GreyGhost said, some of the levels are Doom to Doom 2 conversions. Wonder what the other 2450 levels are... they probably are not that great. But you never know...

There are always some gems on compilations like that.

The downside is the amount of time you must spend shoveling through everything else to find them.

david_a said:

Looks like a typical shovelware disk. It's a nice touch that all the screenshots are from doom2.wad.

Even better touch, he's wasting a bfg shot on one archvile.

doomygecko said:

Even better touch, he's wasting a bfg shot on one archvile.

Id say an archvile is worth a BFG shot considering how fast it kills you.

avery1555 said:

Id say an archvile is worth a BFG shot considering how fast it kills you.

Not when you are in degrelessness mode *point the doomguy face in that shot*

KoiKitsune2006 said:

Looking it at, it was released under the radar and Id never found out about it. But I wonder what kind of maps are on that thing.

It's one of dozens of shovelware CD's that were released in the mid 90's - AFAIK several publishers subsequently made royalty payments to id in order to avoid legal action. As for the maps - most are already in the archive, the rest are a mix of re-worked IWAD maps (E1M2 with 200+ pinky demons, 3 cybers & etc.), compilations of other peoples maps, some truly cringeworthy "this is my first" maps and maybe a few lost gems.

Archvile78 said:

Not when you are in degrelessness mode *point the doomguy face in that shot*

Still, less tedious than trying to kill it with pretty much any other weapon. I can't stand being thrown back by that damn flame + explosion attack when I'm trying to kill archviles in degreelessness mode. Sheesh.

david_a said:
It's a nice touch that all the screenshots are from doom2.wad.

Yeah, they're id's promotional shots. The one where the player is loading the shotgun in Map15 is on the back of the DOOM Collectors Edition box, for DOOM II. The dudes selling the thing must have taken them from id's DOOM II page.

GreyGhost said:

It's one of dozens of shovelware CD's that were released in the mid 90's - AFAIK several publishers subsequently made royalty payments to id in order to avoid legal action. As for the maps - most are already in the archive, the rest are a mix of re-worked IWAD maps (E1M2 with 200+ pinky demons, 3 cybers & etc.), compilations of other peoples maps, some truly cringeworthy "this is my first" maps and maybe a few lost gems.

compilations of that kind made sense when fast internet connections were rare. today one would buy these cd's mostly for nostalgia, because better maps can be downloaded for free. i have a few shovelware cd's in a rack and haven't loaded them in years. but i remember how fascinated i was when i found some recolored monsters on such cd's and the power to alter doom... :p