Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zilken989

The best of the best...

Wow, after looking at many sites dedicated to the original, the classic... the best of the best, Doom... I finally found one. After sorting through many, many ports of the classic game, I wanted the original feel, action and look to the game back, like in the good-ol' days, when gaming was at it's best, in my opinion. I nearly gave up on my search, until I uncovered chocolate doom... oh, what a find!

This version, to me, captures the exact feel of the original, as it's objective clearly states. A great set-up program, and an easy to use basis makes this port a favourite of mine, and I highly recommend it to anyone who misses their old computers, and the dos days. I have played the titles many a time, and I will continue to do so for the years to come.

For the content of chocolate doom I was amazed at how well it captured the original '320x200' look of the old-school resolution, and after direct comparisons through doom95, dosbox and zdaemon, I have found chocolate doom to provide the richest, most original expierence. This goes for the sound quality as well, as I've always had issues trying to find versions that captured the original sounds and soundtrack that was intended for us to enjoy. Many ports succeed greatly, but none, in my opinion, score as high as chocolate doom. This is comming from a guy who loves the classic look, feel and gameplay that was meant to be... Thank you.

Playing at 320x240 on a 24" screen is kinda painful. I'm so used to high-res, 640x480 is "classic" for me now.

However the music is the biggest show-stopper for me. Most of the Doom songs sound awful played through modern freepats/Windows software implementations.

There are ways to force OPL emulation under Windows, I haven't looked into it under Linux. When Chocolate's opl-branch is integrated into the main branch, things will be wonderful.

For this reason I usually stick to ZDoom. It's software based and the physics aren't too different. PrBoom and Eternity are favorites for demo-related activities.

True, and I agree... don't you think, though, that it captures all the same great feel as the original intended and did accomplish? I mean, nothing is 'perfect' eh? :P :)

Yeah, the '320x200' is a stick in the side, but I too play it at '640x480' for the same reason... with the aspect ratio intact, for the 'real' look of it

David_Dweedle said:

Nah guys! the best Source port is Risen3D with all the Hi Res textures and 3D models! best Doom Experiance ever.

Which might be good if you don't care about gameplay mods.

Super Jamie said:
Playing at 320x240 on a 24" screen is kinda painful.

Playing at 320x240 is painful on any monitor, because the resolution is too low to even adjust to DOOM's natural 320x200. The graphics will either look flat or they'll be crippled during vertical stretching. Other than that, how evident or bothersome low resolution is depends mostly on how used to it you are. After a good while of using higher resolutions, going back to a noticeably lower one will be a bit of a shock, but if you use it consistently it becomes natural as your mind and eyes adjust to it, the size of your monitor notwithstanding.

I too played Doom on several different ports, such as JDoom and ZDaemon for years... but I still LOVE the classic look, no matter what the resolution spits out, so to speak... but I'll never be sick of the original look of it all... lol know what I mean, fraggle? :P :D

Yes, and I appreciate your understandings on my opinions as well, as they are just opinions. Everything counts, too! :)

A few times I've been tempted to switch over to PrBoom as my main port of choice, because of the extra features, but there's always some little detail that stops me from making that switch. Chocolate Doom replicates the original in all its gory details perfectly :)

Does' it ever! Man, I just beat episodes 1-3 with just the 'happy ammo' cheat, on Ultra-Violence and it felt so right and perfect with Chocolate Doom... I can't believe how original it feels, like I said before... it's the closest thing to Doom we can get without actually owning a DOS operating system :P

Chocolate doom is great but a few SDL issues (with vista I presume) get in the way sometimes (In particular in any SDL app I've run I can't adjust midi volume without it adjusting sound volume). But it's still soo much better than heading to dosbox when you want a old-school burst or want to test something to see if it works in classic doom.

Okay, I love Chocolate Doom too, but your zeal is starting to annoy me.

While there is nothing wrong with expressing your opinions, there are other options for people who want a bit more flexibility and still retain the classic feel. Odamex, Eternity, PrBoom, and even ZDaemon can be configured in such a way that make them feel very close to the original. Of course it's a fact Chocolate is nearly an exact replica of the original engine, but in this day and age, things like visplane overflows, static map limits, and few editing features are not something I can't really tolerate as a mapper any more. I'm sure others share some of my frustrations.

Chocolate Doom is an impressive port, but whether it's the "best" under all situations, I have to disagree.

Listen... It's a forum... people write what they want, when they want and yes, peoples opinions, including my own, are just that... opinions! That's why we have threads and that's why people talk to eachother here, man... So please don't be so harsh... Thank you

Besides, I play ZDaemon everyday online, with all the crazy-cool 'mods' and such... and they're a blast!... This was just for the original feel and gameplay that came in the box and on the floppy back in the early 90's :P

EarthQuake said:

Okay, I love Chocolate Doom too, but your zeal is starting to annoy me.

Super Jamie said:

Playing at 320x240 on a 24" screen is kinda painful.

On my previous computer (or maybe just the monitor I had for it), running at 320x240 wasn't an option as the display went black. Some kind of "not enough signal" issue or something. Worst part of it was I thought my computer had a problem, I rebooted, and Windows got it into its head that was my default resolution and I was stuck with a black screen. Had to do a bunch of Safe mode crap to fix it.

</tangentially-related story>

ouch... really I know nothing of that... crappy... I'd talk to fraggle, as I know nothing on the subject, just the game

Probably a limitation of the video chipset and drivers. As technology moves forward, older screen resolutions like 320x200 are being dropped. 640x480 is considered to be the minimum now.

Zilken989 said:

ouch... really I know nothing of that... crappy... I'd talk to fraggle, as I know nothing on the subject, just the game

No need to talk to fraggle, Chocolate Doom already supports scaling 320x200 up to whatever resolution you choose in the setup program. Whether you have it set to 320x240 or 1280x1024, the game will look the same (I imagine the aspect ratio correction is less noticeable the higher you go, but Chocolate Doom's correction is barely noticeable at 640x480, unlike other ports).

Lol, no I don't think so, man... I'd have no idea how to make a Source Port for the life of me, lol :P