Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoWits

What does AGM stand for?

I have played Freedoom and quite like it, but I haven't a clue what AGM means. Advanced genetic mutation corp? Artificial gene manufacture? Anything Good for Mindless-violence? What does it mean?

Afterglow's momma so fat, she broke vanilla limitations. That's why Freedoom uses Boom.

It was an in-joke, and don't feel bad for not understanding it completely... I don't really get it either :P

If you were wondering just in case of writing a story or some such, I doubt anyone would care if you re-define what the letters AGM mean.

The arithmetic-geometric mean (AGM) is a function of two variables (usually complex numbers) that is very useful for numerical evaluation of elliptic integrals and also leads to the asymptotically fastest known algorithms for the elementary functions (the well-known quadratically convergent AGM iteration for π is a special case). Was first studied by Gauss.

Fredrik said:

The arithmetic-geometric mean (AGM) is a function of two variables (usually complex numbers) that is very useful for numerical evaluation of elliptic integrals and also leads to the asymptotically fastest known algorithms for the elementary functions (the well-known quadratically convergent AGM iteration for π is a special case). Was first studied by Gauss.

Wikipedia copypasta?

Anyway, I was going to make a Doom TC based around the AGM, and how they do right dodgy stuff.. the Advanced Genetic Mutation corp. - blah open hellgate, blah splice Imp genes, blah super-Imps, blah do it to other monsters too, blah cheap replacement of UAC-related textures and flats, blah NOW KILL STUFF.

AGM is a bloody horrible set of letters to come up with an acronym for.

That being said, why not try SLAKFN? It was something I came up with some time ago that sounded cool.. but the only thing I ever used it for was to name the casseroley stuff my mum makes sometimes.

Nixot said:

Wikipedia copypasta?

Nope, and you could look it up. The Wikipedia article, incidentally, doesn't provide all that useful information.

Anyway, if you need something better, I suggest "Aerospace, Guns & Monsters".

Try Amalgamated/Associated General/Global Machines/Manufacturing

If it is anything like the companies I know, the name has nothing
to do anymore with the business they do. Like Honeywell makes
thermostats, gyros, avionics, Space Shuttle Main Engine Controllers,
and now merged with a company that makes train signals.

Nixot said:

Anyway, I was going to make a Doom TC based around the AGM, and how they do right dodgy stuff.. the Advanced Genetic Mutation corp.

That's pretty good. Advanced Genetics & Machinery would be a plausible name for a company that may have assembled the (non-freedoom) Cyberdemon.

Creaphis said:

This Acronym is a Gold Mine.

Please tell me you did this on purpose. It's awesome.

alien8 said:

Please tell me you did this on purpose. It's awesome.

Indeed I did. I'm glad it packed enough of a punch to get this bumped over a month later.