Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DuckReconMajor

Windows built in ftp

I just found out about it today. Is it a suitable alternative to FileZilla? I downloaded a .txt file from /newstuff with it and it seems to work okay. I just figured it would get mentioned more often, since I hear it comes with nearly all versions of Windows.

Are you talking about ftp.exe, the one that runs in a CMD window? If so, that's got some issues of its own - when uploading files, you have to choose whether to upload them in BIN or ASCII, and a wrong choice can result in a bad upload. In addition, it's rather a lot of pain to tell it where you're uploading files from.

FileZilla just expedites things with its easy graphical interface. Ftp.exe does appeal to some (like some people browse with Lynx or prefer to use Pico for their text editing), but I'll stick with my graphics.

You can also just use Windows Explorer to upload your files -- Just set the address to the FTP site and it will open it for you. Then you should be able to drag and drop in the text and zip files.

Wow.

@ WildWeasel: I had to mess with it for my Unix course. I know downloads/uploads go to/from my User folder. .txt's need to be transferred with ASCII. I'm pretty sure .zip's are done in binary, but I'd have to check. It's just that I'm not totally comfortable with FileZilla's interface yet, and I'm scared of uploading junk to the Archive

There is also a known problem with the builtin ftp client and servers using PASV mode (typically doesnt connect when other clients do)

I ended up switching to NcFTP (http://www.ncftp.com), an alternative command line ftp client.

DuckReconMajor said:

I'm scared of uploading junk to the Archive

Some people lack your scruples. ;-)

From the /newstuff FAQ

ftp archives.gamers.org
username:anonymous
password:(put email here)
cd /pub/idgames/incoming/
bin
put (ZIP file)
put (text file)
quit

WildWeasel said:

you have to choose whether to upload them in BIN or ASCII, and a wrong choice can result in a bad upload

And for some reason, it's ASCII by default... All text editors except notepad.exe can read without problem a text file with Unix-like endlines, but any non-text file that gets LFs added to its CRs will be warped something ugly.

Yeah, I normally use the command line FTP client if I ever upload files (under Linux, so it's not the Windows version, but the Windows version is a port of the Unix FTP tool anyway, so it's practically identical)