Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Jello

Quake 1 on Vista 64

I was trying to install Quake 1 on my computer, it's running Vista Home Premium Edition 64. Whenever I try to either autoplay or go into my cd drive folder and manually select setup.exe or deice.exe it gives me the error "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of windows you are running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 or x64 version of the program, then contact the software publisher." I'm used to seeing that error since switching to Vista but usually I can find a work around but so far Google has yielded nothing as far as installing it on Vista. Nothing on id's site either. All the advice seems to be geared towards source ports and assume the game is already installed. It's a legitimate CD, version is 1.06, if anyone has any advice on getting it installed I would greatly appreciate it.

v1.06 sounds like it's the later Windows installer release from late 96, so the DOSBox solution is out. It uses Installshield, so you might have luck with the Universal Extractor. Then you get a port (I recommend Darkplaces or Winquake even) then blah blah blah.

EDIT: Deice.exe also? DOSBox it then.

Good call on the dosbox, managed to get the game working with it. I may have taken some unnecessary steps, but for anyone interested here's what I did. Downloaded dosbox .73, created a folder c:\quake (this may not be needed) mounted my cd drive in dosbox. In my case mount e e:\ mounted my quake folder on my c: drive, mount c c:\quake\ (again, probably don't need the quake folder, could probably just mount c c:\, but this is what I did to get it to work.) After that, switch to the cd drive. In my case just E: then type install.bat It'll go through the install process, then you can either run Quake in dosbox or install a source port, such as Dark Places, and play. Just make sure you run install.bat instead of setup.exe or deice.exe, deice.exe looks like it's installing, but all it does it put a 23 mb resource folder in the directory which just kind of sits there.
Thanks again though Leileilol, the dosbox suggestion saved me quite a bit of time and frustration. Now I just need to set up a working Windows 98 partition to boot from to avoid this irritation in the future.

And for reference, I tried universal extractor, but it couldn't recognize any of the files on the CD. Neither could any .pak extractors I tried.

1 click to hop into a dos game. I use a .bat for all my DOS programs, and each program has its own .conf with custom settings for that specific program.
This .bat and .conf loads up boom202 with specific iwad, pwad and deh. Then closes dosbox when game exits. Pretty seamless.

boom.bat:

cd c:\doom\boom
set dosbox="c:\program files\dosbox-0.73\dosbox.exe"
set doscfg=c:\doom\boom\boom.conf

%dosbox% -conf %doscfg%

And bottom line of boom.conf:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount c: c:\doom\boom
c:

boom -iwad pwads\plutonia.wad -file pwads\pl2.wad -deh pwads\pl2.deh\
exit

Super Jamie said:

Plenty of modern options

Not really. Darkplaces is the only good port on the list. Tenebrae is broken. There's nothing else. 2 isn't plenty.

Well the initial problem wasn't finding a source port, I've known about Darkplaces and Tenebrae for at least six years. The problem was actually installing it, Vista 64 wouldn't run setup.exe, or install.bat, or deice.exe. Using dosbox I got it to install and could actually run it just fine in dosbox without a source port. I'd rather not have to launch dosbox every time I have to play, but Darkplaces seems to be working fine so far.

leileilol said:

Not really. Darkplaces is the only good port on the list. Tenebrae is broken. There's nothing else. 2 isn't plenty.

There might be a few others...

http://www.quaddicted.com/engines/engine_comparison.html

That page is a little out of date/missing info. Fitzquake is up to 0.85 and can now run 'limit removing' maps like "warpc" in the test, though for warpc you have to add an increased limit number in the config. Fitzquake also has an SDL version being worked on by someone else though it is still at version 0.80 with standard limits for now. MHQuake has a shiny new DirectX renderer.

The list is also biased toward GL engines so Tyr-glquake and aguirRe's glquake fail some in the Graphic Features even though their optional software engines have fullbrights and overbrights or Waterwarp like WinQuake.

I hear Darkplaces brakes a lot of classic mods, I only of one (Malice) off hand so... Goodluck with your options. :)