Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AndrewB

Texting while driving can turn an LOL into an OMG

Too bad I can't understand shit they're saying with the autotune.

Better use of vocoder/autotune. But for the most part I agree, it's retarded.

Bank said:

Every damn song is this stupid autotune effect now.

As mainstream musicians become less talented technology has to keep up somehow.

It's just a mainstream trend. That whole quasi-chiptune retro sound has been back in for a while now with all the electrofags.

It's so cool to be creative and make a different sound... just like everyone else is :/

Vocoders are awesome (you can use them on instruments other than vocals). But auto-tune just sounds irritating.

Nomad said:

{Cynic Youtube}

Wow, it sounds like they really fucked up that remaster.

Not that Focus ever needed a remaster.

I blame Daft Punk for pretty much pioneering the trend...

Then again, they make it sound awesome...

Danarchy said:

What about Cher? There's plenty of blame to go around but I think she was the first.

Bank said:

What about Cher? There's plenty of blame to go around but I think she was the first.

Yeah, that song does beat Daft Punk's Discovery by a year. Still, I think it was Kanye West sampling Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger that brought it into the mainstream. After that song the sHiT kInD oF hIt ThE fAn.

Wikipedia reckons some bloke called Trevor Wishart was the first to use a phase vocoder on human voice in 1990.

It says Cher was the first mainstream artist to use Antares' Auto-Tune, in 1998. Eiffel 65 followed up in 1999 with their Europop album, with all vocals passed through Auto-Tune. Auto-Tune was only written in 1997, so that's coming pretty close.

There is one person, however, who's been using a vocoder since before alot of us were even born:

Danarchy said:

The oldest example I can remember is Eiffel 65 from 98/99, and before that was there was a Cher song (Believe) that used it. Most youtube videos of it are either non-embeddable or have disabled soundtracks though...fuck.

It's used much more sparingly than other videos too, and Cher has a weird voice to begin with, so...

Update: heh, talk about redundant posts...should have read the whole thing. I remember someone else had brought up the autotune issue in another thread, claiming it's "modern" and "innovative"...yeah right.

Nomad said:

Yeah, it's a shame there weren't any robot vocals on Traced in Air. Still a pretty cool album though.

Heh, kinda surprised anyone knew who Cynic was, let alone their first album. They're definitely an unsung pioneer of vocoders in heavy music, though. It's kind of awkward but definitely unique for them.

I think it was the unbearable robot vocals that made Cynic unlistenable to me. Otherwise the whole jazz fusion mixed with metal thing was pretty cool.

Oh yeah, Eiffel 65. Speaking of which, what the fuck is up with all these fucking pop songs taking the old Europop songs then making terrible new songs out of the tune and pieces of the lyrics. There was one that sounded like Eiffel 65's Blue song and that sounded like O-Zone's Numa Numa (can't remember the real name). There's also one that's a horrible rip off of Right Round by...I can't remember which is sad because I'm usually an expert on synthpop. Well, anyway it's really sad and tacky that they make that shit, and even worse people are saying I'm making shit up when I tell them it's ripping off of another song.

Danarchy said:

Oh yeah, Eiffel 65. Speaking of which, what the fuck is up with all these fucking pop songs taking the old Europop songs then making terrible new songs out of the tune and pieces of the lyrics. There was one that sounded like Eiffel 65's Blue song and that sounded like O-Zone's Numa Numa (can't remember the real name). There's also one that's a horrible rip off of Right Round by...I can't remember which is sad because I'm usually an expert on synthpop. Well, anyway it's really sad and tacky that they make that shit, and even worse people are saying I'm making shit up when I tell them it's ripping off of another song.

Probably Sugar by Flo-Rida, who is also responsible for the Right Round song. Music has become so cyclical it'll spin us all into a centrifuge and all of our bones will be crushed.

Danarchy said:

Don't know if I can pin the blame on Daft Punk. After all they are a House/Electro band and they have been using autotune/voice synth long befor all these ass hats started using it. More or less it just example of how there is no such thing as orginalty in most pop music these days. They are just recycling old idea's to make more money. To bad there so many people out there that eat the shit up.

Pretty much all mainstream music these days just sounds the same to me, I have no idea how people go to RnB or dance clubs and listen to hours of it, weekend after weekend.

Then again, all the metal I appreciate the subtleties of probably sounds the same to them. Different strokes for different folks, the world would be a boring place if we all though the same.

Just don't make me listen to any more repetitive derivative autotune remix crap.

AgentSpork said:

I think it was the unbearable robot vocals that made Cynic unlistenable to me. Otherwise the whole jazz fusion mixed with metal thing was pretty cool.

You could definitely argue that. They definitely aren't the reason I listen to Cynic, but I always thought they made Focus a pretty unique album.

Heh, I'm going to have to join that group.

Satyr000 said:

Don't know if I can pin the blame on Daft Punk. After all they are a House/Electro band and they have been using autotune/voice synth long befor all these ass hats started using it. More or less it just example of how there is no such thing as orginalty in most pop music these days. They are just recycling old idea's to make more money. To bad there so many people out there that eat the shit up.

I was using "blame" in jest. Daft Punk are a couple of cyborgs or whatver. They have a reason to sound like robots, like Kraftwerk before them. :P Otherwise, my point is pretty much yours. Rappers and the like heard that Kanye song and were like "Autotune is a pretty cool guy he has no singing talent and doesn't afraid of anything" then started using it.