Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
perkristian

High quality original Doom sfx - updated 01-08-10

I know this is quite a bump, but I just found out about this sound pack and wanted to comment on just how awesome it is! It literally sends chills up my spine everytime I play, and it feels more high definition than any HD texture or sprite pack does. I can't wait for the final version. :D

Also, I didn't know you were the same Per who did PerQuake. That's probably the best weapons mod for Quake, and I always load it up when I reinstall Quake again. :)

This thread deserves periodic bumping. My speakers recently broke, but until they are fixed replaced, I will be doomin with the updated sound wad again.

Thanks for the bumps!

I doubt there ever will be a complete version, hopefully a updated version.

Making PerQuake is the most fun I've had modding a game. Me, my brother and some other guys used to have LAN parties in the weekends and then we would test whatever new stuff I made. I tried to make the weapons equal in terms of effectiveness but different in the way they worked. With regular Quake deathmatch the rocket launcher was the only weapon to have and it's a dull weapon.

Looks like I'm late to the party! Nonetheless, this really is a fantastic, superb collection. I've got it autoloaded now, along with the smooth weapon animations as well! :)

It's too bad it's missing some, but it's understandable; I can't imagine trying to track down/recreate even ONE of these sounds, let alone all of them!

perkristian said:

The comments are greatly appreciated :-)
Here is another (short) teaser where I use the Plasma rifle on Bloodfalls:
http://home.online.no/~per-kr/Stuff/pk_doom_sfx-music_-_bloodfalls.mp3
It's with the Plasma rifle sound I plan to include in the sound pack - if it's approved?

The sounds are taken from different places. Like for instance the thumping fall sound of the pink daemon when it dies is taken from Vampire Bloodlines as I didn't find it in any sound library.

Most of the sounds are from the sound libraries, but after a sound is found there is lots of cutting, editing, mixing, filtering and fading work involved. Many of the sounds are a bit pale coming directly from the library, so I've filtered them and made them sound more crisp and fat.

Hey, maybe tone down the sfx in the track? The track sounds really great otherwise.

Perkristian, please go post this on the ZDoom forums, along with your sprite updates.

I do think your weapon sprites and updated sounds are some of the most vital mods that have EVER been created for Doom in its long, long life.

I've been using your updated weapons for a little while, and they do make a tremendous difference. But with the additional sounds, Doom feels somehow more kinetic, alive and visceral.

Bravo sir, and if you don't mind my saying: fucking fantastic work. I've tried a few of your music remixes, and they're very well produced, too!

Edit: Perkristian, I have a little request: for modern ports, it would be nice to have a version with 16-bit WAVs, optionally 44.1kHz and stereo where possible.

I hope so! This is an overhaul of one of the fundamental components of Doom, and is the sort of thing that partners nicely with the additions a source port such as ZDoom brings.

Thanks for your kind words chischis!

As for 44.1kHz 16bit stereo sounds, there isn't much difference between 8bit/16bit, just a little noise which is noticeable on some sounds. Even though I have the 16bit sounds I still use the 8bit sound pack. I don't like stereo WAVs in FPS games; the game engine should be responsible for making stereo.

What I would love to see/hear in Doom is ambience sounds. Crackling torches, running water/lava/slime, humming lights and plasma ball/rocket fly sounds with Doppler effect. Maybe an outside background noise that changed according to the sky texture.

Maybe an outside background noise that changed according to the sky texture.

That's a really cool idea. I'd like to see that done.

When talking about the new iPhone Doom, Carmack mentioned he found the original, high quality sound effects. Would the iPhone Doom sounds be much different than these?

perkristian said:

Thanks for your kind words chischis!

As for 44.1kHz 16bit stereo sounds, there isn't much difference between 8bit/16bit, just a little noise which is noticeable on some sounds. Even though I have the 16bit sounds I still use the 8bit sound pack. I don't like stereo WAVs in FPS games; the game engine should be responsible for making stereo.

What I would love to see/hear in Doom is ambience sounds. Crackling torches, running water/lava/slime, humming lights and plasma ball/rocket fly sounds with Doppler effect. Maybe an outside background noise that changed according to the sky texture.

I'm sure some Decorate work in ZDoom can accommodate the latter. But I would still like to have 16-bit sounds. The other attributes, I agree, are less important, but the noise-floor at 8-bits is unpleasant at times.

Scuba Steve said:

When talking about the new iPhone Doom, Carmack mentioned he found the original, high quality sound effects. Would the iPhone Doom sounds be much different than these?

Carmack also said that he could hardly tell the difference between the original HQ material converted to 22kHz and the 11kHz standard Doom sounds. I have no idea how the original HQ material sound like, but there's a world of difference between the standard 11kHz Doom sounds and the 32kHz ones in my sound pack.

I'm mostly interested in the Archvile and Baphomet's awakenng sound and basically any other sound not in PSX Doom, since those obviously never had repalcements made for them :p

Great job, Perkristian!

And could you provide a zipped .wad file as well? Zipping really decreases the file size, for those of us who have to wait many minutes for one megabyte.

perkristian said:

I can of course zip it, but is it really necessary? It's only 2.2MB, which is less than most stuff on the net.

There are at least two Doomers that are still stuck on dial-up connections, so I'm sure they'd appreciate the gesture.

As someone who went from dial up to broadband less than a year ago, I second this

Whoa, thanks, I missed the 8/04 update.