Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AveryMaurice

Doom 2 Empire = Site Closed

Wow that was quick. And to think I even PMed him by pointing him to a darkexodus drama thread as a way to show him where he was headed.

To be fair however, he received unusually harsh ripping to shit criticism in too short a time, even by DW standards.

Update: http://totcomics.webs.com/doomii.htm seems to be still up, Doom "conversions" and all.

Doomworld must be the only Doom site out there!!! Anyone who disagrees or opposes our will shall fall!!!

I have received every kind of insult and verbal smack in the face on forums in response to posting my honest effort, though I have never posted my "work" here. Things amounting to full written essays detailing everything I did wrong and how badly it sucked. Watch out if you have ideas that run contrary to the norm... WHOOOAA expect a lot of shit for that. If it's not completely professional and fucking face-meltingly awesome, it will be attacked.

So tell me: who out there was a legendary badass at everything when they were a kid?

But seriously, I've noticed DW is a lot nicer than the NewDoom crowd to noobs. Usually Phoebus banned them right away with little provocation (even just having terrible grammar is apparently a bannable offense). DW is pretty tame. I've only noticed the DW folks being "mean" when the noobs overreact to constructive criticism in the first place.

Uh oh.

Before this goes out of line too, it would help realizing what was the exact sequence of events (your posts and their responses) that lead to the escalation of trolling and patronizing you're talking about. I'm not saying that you should apply Sun Tzu's "The art of war" on your forum conversations (although it generally helps, even in life), but you should realize that it's one of those things where you may commit no apparent mistakes, yet still "lose", in a way.

Learning to gracefully take hits from trolls and knowing when to respond doesn't come spontaneous to anyone, and everyone here has made mistakes. In the meantime, you may realize what went "wrong" and learn, or start going totally batshit on the first sign of lack of "respect" and becoming the forums' lulz cow.

Take it easy and try building an aura of respectability around yourself, lashing out like that isn't going to help you.

Nomad said:

But seriously, I've noticed DW is a lot nicer than the NewDoom crowd to noobs. Usually Phoebus banned them right away with little provocation (even just having terrible grammar is apparently a bannable offense). DW is pretty tame. I've only noticed the DW folks being "mean" when the noobs overreact to constructive criticism in the first place.

From my first experience on this site, I found everyone here rather friendly, even when criticising my work (maps). Even when I first came here, I spouted stupid questions, and the DW community kindly solved my dilemmas. Some "newbies" do over-react when taking constructive criticism, however, and I can see why some of the DW community become sick of these people pretty quickly.

Poor kid.
Hopefully he reconsiders on coming back if possible.

Back when I entered, everything wasn't bad, and my first blog (which I don't use now) had an idea of a lolwut Zombie man, I almost thought the ones who posted were asses, but seeing them further on, they aren't bad at all...
Slightly 4chan-ish but it's what makes a forum live.

Edit.. Oh yeah, it was this: http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=38461 .

Mithral_Demon said:

Poor kid.
Hopefully he reconsiders on coming back if possible.

Almost all of his posts were either useless or resulted in flame wars. Considering he insulted us calling us "Doom Nerds" and other insults, I really hope he does not return.

avery1555 said:

Almost all of his posts were either useless or resulted in flame wars. Considering he insulted us calling us "Doom Nerds" and other insults, I really hope he does not return.

Eh, what ever, I don't care if he comes back or not, just a forum.

The whole reason I got pissed earlier is that everyone was telling me to deal with constructive critism (which i'm fairly good at.)but most of the critism wasn't constructive. Actually the overall responce of all of my posts was negative. (which over time gets real damn annoying.) Granted a few did like what I had done, but most would rather insult me than give advice especially that avery 1555 guy who started this whole thread to insult my failure in doom2empire. The whole reason I destroyed the site was because after you DW guys said it was crap i knew no one would visit. My opinion on DW changed once people in this post turned from insulting to understanding. So i may stay i may not, but please STOP INSULTING ME I'M STILL NEW TO USING THIS FORUM!!!

Fatal Error

fatal error said:

The whole reason I got pissed earlier is that everyone was telling me to deal with constructive critism (which i'm fairly good at.)but most of the critism wasn't constructive. Actually the overall responce of all of my posts was negative. (which over time gets real damn annoying.) Granted a few did like what I had done, but most would rather insult me than give advice especially that avery 1555 guy who started this whole thread to insult my failure in doom2empire. The whole reason I destroyed the site was because after you DW guys said it was crap i knew no one would visit. My opinion on DW changed once people in this post turned from insulting to understanding. So i may stay i may not, but please STOP INSULTING ME I'M STILL NEW TO USING THIS FORUM!!!

Fatal Error

The reason why people started to flame is because once we told you your site was breaking copyright law, you refused to take down the content and said it wasn't illegal unless "they told me to remove it.".

And the reason why people don't take your posts that well is because your previous posts were not that impressive either, considering we gave you criticism (constructive) on all your posts and you continued to get defensive, we of course were not going to take you seriously.

I used to be like you in my earlier posts (check my history) and trust me, its not a road you want to go down. And the reason I made this thread was for humor. You cant really take shit I say too seriously.

fatal error said:

STOP INSULTING ME I'M STILL NEW TO USING THIS FORUM!!!

Oh relax, open up Doom and start shooting, you'll feel better. And give people a listen when they say something, folks here have been doing this a lot longer than you, and know a few things. In your last thread myk was giving you good advice about the proper way to do things and you essentially told him to bugger off. If you expect to be part of a community then you're going to have to try and make certain concessions to that community. Otherwise go fly a kite.

avery1555 said:

The reason why people started to flame is because once we told you your site was breaking copyright law, you refused to take down the content and said it wasn't illegal unless "they told me to remove it.".

Won't need to worry about the site it's dead. If you want to play my WADS you'll have to rely on totcomics.webs.com

avery1555 said:

I used to be like you in my earlier posts (check my history) and trust me, its not a road you want to go down. And the reason I made this thread was for humor. You cant really take shit I say too seriously.

Well like many people I take what I do seriously and took that joke the wrong way. No offence but i still don't like it. Now that i know what your going at I understand, but at first I thought it was a insult.

fatal error said:

Won't need to worry about the site it's dead. If you want to play my WADS you'll have to rely on totcomics.webs.com

Well like many people I take what I do seriously and took that joke the wrong way. No offence but i still don't like it. Now that i know what your going at I understand, but at first I thought it was a insult.

Ill edit the post if you want if you think its insulting. I'll remove the sarcasm as you wish.

Basically, the only reason why most peoples ideas are shot down is because there is some really, really nice WADs and content by members on this site so its become standard, and once they get shown a newbies work they think it really sucks.

If your really serious about Doom, just dont take peoples insults too harshly against yourself, and just keep developing Doom Wads and projects (just be careful about those copyright laws man -.-).

Use3D said:

Oh relax, open up Doom and start shooting, you'll feel better. And give people a listen when they say something, folks here have been doing this a lot longer than you, and know a few things. In your last thread myk was giving you good advice about the proper way to do things and you essentially told him to bugger off. If you expect to be part of a community then you're going to have to try and make certain concessions to that community. Otherwise go fly a kite.

I understand what myk was doing and it wasn't my intent to tell him to "bugger off" but i apparentlly insultted him so my post was nuked.=(

fatal error said:

The whole reason I got pissed earlier is that everyone was telling me to deal with constructive critism (which i'm fairly good at.)but most of the critism wasn't constructive. Actually the overall responce of all of my posts was negative.

Your creative re-interpretation of how copyright works is what caused most people to get hot under the collar, attempting to defend such an untenable position is what turned you into trollbait.

Granted a few did like what I had done, but most would rather insult me than give advice especially that avery 1555 guy who started this whole thread to insult my failure in doom2empire. The whole reason I destroyed the site was because after you DW guys said it was crap i knew no one would visit.

Doom 2 Empire disappeared before I could pass judgement on it, so I'll just offer this advice - inviting a few people to test-drive and provide feedback on a new site BEFORE it's opened to the public can significantly improve it's chances of survival.

My opinion on DW changed once people in this post turned from insulting to understanding. So i may stay i may not, but please STOP INSULTING ME I'M STILL NEW TO USING THIS FORUM!!!

Welcome back to Doomworld - please refrain from feeding the trolls. :-)

Patrick said:

Doomworld must be the only Doom site out there!!! Anyone who disagrees or opposes our will shall fall!!!

It worked for newdoom. just ask aliotroph? or nomad.

Bank said:

That comics site makes my brain cry :(

Again. I don't think this is helping at all.

Irony:

LEGAL NOTICE

The Cat bros. are copyrighted material made and owned by Joe Andersopn of TOT COMICS INC. If you post, sell, reproduce, or distribute these comics in any way with out permission, you are breaking the law and will be prosecuted to the fullest possible extent. If you put that in simple terms, I will take all of your money for such a crime.

The trailer for the game being sold on that site uses music from Doom 3.

The things I said about the other site apply to the comic one. They are as follows:

• The site gets points for at least not burning my eyes out like a lot of sites do.
  • The navigation is random. Probably those games should be grouped, for example.
  • The whole thing needs a spelling/grammar check. Honestly, with computers that's just not forgivable.
  • The for-profit copyright infringement needs to go.

As for the games...

• The DOOM maps need could use work (just from the screens, obviously alignment issues), but that's for another thread another time. :)
  • One of those games has too much brown. Way, way way too much brown. Also, the brown textures don't match the style of the rest of the game.
  • The whole hand-drawn thing would be better with a couple of animation frames for the various things.
  • I like to harp on about game maps that don't have light sources. I do it to *everybody.* ;)

Personally, I think it's a bit of a shame that someone new to the scene tries to do something constructive (however misguided) to keep that very scene alive.

It worries me that in a couple of years time all the stalwarts of this site will be in their 40's and hitting their 50's and this will be the only DooM site left...

Just my tuppence worth. :)