Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Maledictio - An E2M5 replacement

I've finally finished up the 5th map for the episode 2 replacement dubbed "Corruptio", which took me slightly longer due to procrastinating and with my new desktop set up so I can play other 3d heavy games.

Anyhow, the map is pretty tough from a pistol start on UV but there is full difficulty settings as all my maps have. Once all the maps are done and put into an episode, it will be a bit easier due to having free rocket launcher access in E2M4.

Idgames link: HERE

Let me know what you folks think of it, I LOVE feedback!

Just had a play through, and to be honest, I can't think of a whole lot to say. Everything seemed really solid.

The ammo and health seemed extremely well balanced for UV. (By luck, I was able to survive without dying on my first go.)

I found the secret exit well before I found the real one, and thought that the secret exit was hiding in the rest of the map, beyond the yellow/red key rooms.

If it were me, I'd hide the secret exit closer to the end of the map - I don't like the idea that players can skip too much of my map, but maybe that was your intention :)

Also, your secrets are insanely well hidden, but I guess I just suck at finding them when I don't have some sort of mis-aligned texture or something similar ><

Good map. Haven't played straight doom in a while so it felt a little low-key but all the more dangerous for some reason. I also think the ammo/health is good, as I had enough after recovering from letting a baron rough me up >.< I second the secrets though, I only found 4 on my own and spent 10 minutes noclipping to find 5-8. I eventually just opened it up in doombuilder and smacked my head when I found the last one. Really man, if someone can find all the secrets in one of your levels on the first go he must be a treasure hunter.

I would add that this map requires a Boom compatible port.

There is a single switch (line 1265) that lowers some out of sight bars, that use a Boom line type.

Easily replaceable with Vanilla Doom line type 23.

Also, I encountered the "P_AddActivePlat: no more plats!" error when I tried to lower the lift after the Red Key.

After 5 embarrassing deaths I decided to start saving my game, and made it in 2 more deaths, which you will see too. You can tell the previous areas I died as I start using the plasma there. Finished with 100% kills, 44% secrets. I forgot to go back for the yellow key button, and didn't want to take that trap-looking teleport next to it. PrBoom demos here.

I also included the one of me getting stuck in the Yellow Key passage on first play so you see what I mean.

What else can I say but I loved it! The change of scenery is great, much more earthy, eldrich and fleshy than the previous maps. Hell certainly has its hold on the base by now. I love how you make areas secrets and traps, instead of just switches switches switches. The traps are surprising and can be difficult but are not too unfair. I don't know if it's intentional, but the Caco in the warehouse can very suddenly pop up and look in the window when you're upstairs which scared the shit out of me the first time it happened.

The only thing I didn't like was that some traps (red key, exit area) really did need prior knowledge of what you were getting into so you could pick the right weapon to survive. Then again maybe I was a bit hasty with rockets and plasma too early on.

Either way, these maps just keep getting better and better. I was actually kinda sad when the exit appeared, I didn't want it to be over. Rad work. Another classic masterpiece :)

I didn't have any trouble with the difficulty. No deaths with no saves on UV, finding the rocket launcher and plasma rifle in secrets made it a very comfortable map. Gameplay was average, still had loads of ammo and health (only found 4/9 secrets including the secret map).

The visuals range from average to downright bad imo. To throw these off as being like idsoftware or something is wrong and silly.

I played with skulltag considering some of the bugs noted in here and from this thread.

Super Jamie said:

Another classic masterpiece :)

right.

edit:

Super Jamie said:

I love how you make areas secrets and traps, instead of just switches switches switches.

Regarding switches, alot of them I had no idea what they did or there were more than 1 in a room, abit of visual or audible feedback would be good.

I appreciate all the input put and will make it a note that all future levels need a Boom compatible port for the sake of not having it crash for the Vanilla purists.

Korus: The maps are intended to give an oldschool feel and look so that is why there is the occasional texture inconsistencies (IE Wood area).

Super Jamie: Lift problems? All lines seem to work for me and I don't see what the problem is since everything is accessible. I will check the demo in a bit.

EDIT: Forgot the tag again! Fixed.

P_AddActivePlats? In my Doom level? Nah, can't be :P But anyways, I merged the pillars that lower into one sector in hopes it won't trigger and will not cause that error again.

I will also reupload this with these troubles ironed out hopefully.

Well in this case, that single Boom 221 line type does exactly the same thing as a Vanilla Doom line type 23 would. It lowers some bars to the floor.

Seems a shame to make the level require a port that is both Boom compatible and limit removing (on account of the no plats error), rather than just a limit removing port. It doesn't take two seconds to change the action on a single line.

Actually, there is more that just one boom linedef type in this map. A quick scan revealed at least 7. Types 109, 112, 123, 124, 125, 126 and 219 were noted. The highest linedef action for vanilla doom is type 104.

EDIT Vermil's 221 makes at least 8.

Also it is possible to get to the secret exit area - sector 481 - without the use of any keys. This results in missing a great deal of the map and only killing about half the monsters.

I think sector 308 would look better with a height of 72 and the flat TLITE6_1 to match the rest of the ceiling.

The secret level to accompany this will be short and sweet. I don't know what to plan for E2M6 tho..

hawkwind said:

Actually, there is more that just one boom linedef type in this map. A quick scan revealed at least 7. Types 109, 112, 123, 124, 125, 126 and 219 were noted.

Eh. Line types 109, 112 and 123-126 are all Vanilla Doom line types. The highest numbered Vanilla Doom line type is 141.

As for the single 219 Boom linetype. All it is used for is to lower the barriers in a monster teleporter pen to allow the monsters to reach the teleporter. A Vanilla Doom line type 38 could do exactly the same thing.

Chrome Bolt said:

Perfect difficulty for me on HMP.

UV will give a furthe world of pain if you try.

Anyone know how to reach the secret exit? I tried and tried and even looked in Doom Builder, but found no clues. Anyone willing to give a hint (with a spoiler tag)? I sent a PM to Chris about this, but a sooner answer would be welcome, as he hasn't been online for hours. If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

Spoiler

Make sure you activate all the switches you see, and look for a teleporter.

If this isn't clear enough, complete solution :
Spoiler

The switch lowering the teleporter wall, tagged 46, is in the same room as the switch lowering the walls blocking the door, east of the map. The teleporter itself (sector 480, tagged 47) is in a room on the west side, the one where you activate the switches to raise the toxic waste bridge. It's behind the flesh part.

Phml said:

Spoiler

Make sure you activate all the switches you see, and look for a teleporter.

If this isn't clear enough, complete solution :
Spoiler

The switch lowering the teleporter wall, tagged 46, is in the same room as the switch lowering the walls blocking the door, east of the map. The teleporter itself (sector 480, tagged 47) is in a room on the west side, the one where you activate the switches to raise the toxic waste bridge. It's behind the flesh part.

Oops, looking on the other side of the map was tricky and unexpected. Found the secret exit now. Thanks for the help.

Hey chris, how many of these are you intending on doing? The whole episode? if so, let me know when you finish them all. I'd rather play the whole thing than in parts.

Vermil said:

Eh. Line types 109, 112 and 123-126 are all Vanilla Doom line types. The highest numbered Vanilla Doom line type is 141.

Now here is where the confusion comes in ... Both the doom.cfg files for slade and DB1 have 104 as the highest line action for doom1.

The unofficial specs claim that 105 to 141 came with doom version 1.666.

... I guess I'll have to do some doom vanilla testing ...

UPDATE ... You are correct Vermil. Ultimate Doom E4M8 uses line types 123 and 127.

Slade and DB1 were obviously using pre - v1.666 specs.

Nomad said:

Hey chris, how many of these are you intending on doing? The whole episode? if so, let me know when you finish them all. I'd rather play the whole thing than in parts.

Yes, it's intended for a complete episode 2 replacement. I also uploaded this map and the secret level to the archives so expect to see them in the next /newstuff.

I'm releasing level by level because I'm doing it on my free time and don't want to end up abandoning it halfway through. When the episode is done, I will make tweaks to ALL levels so they are not carbon copies of the individual files on the archives.

In other words, work on E2M6 has started.