Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nomad

WIP Skulltag Duel map

Yesterday I got the wild urge to start working on this map, and I've been pushing myself to get it in decent playable shape. So far I'm about out of ideas, but it needs to be playtested before I can really say it's finished.

It's quite small and simple. I had set out to do at least a 4 player dm map, but with the current design I can't really think of any spots to put DM starts that would be very fair. So I guess from now on it's going to be a Duel map.

Figured I'd post it here to get some feedback. Please take a look and let me know what you think! Also if you would like to arrange a playtest let me know.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2KEW4OTV

[edit]I should mention, a few things planned for the map is to surround it with clifs and lava falls and stuff (a la DVII); infinite lava is pretty ugly. And also definitely going to find a different sky.

Those SUPPORT3 pillars sticking out on top in the first screenshot should use CEIL5_2, as it matches the metallic textures (METAL, SUPPORT3, BIGDOOR6-7) best

Unlike SP-ers we deathmatchers don't have time to spend navel-gazing into such trivialities x_x

Not got time to take a look into the map now but I'll try to remember later!

Heh, this reminds me a bit of a plas map. Well, one particular map in PlasDM1 anyways.
At first I thought it would be annoying as hell with all that lava insta-death but once you get used to the map then it's not too perilous. Still, there's gonna be some times when you get shot in which will be frustrating to both the shooter and the victim. Be nice if there was some way out of there, however difficult.

Your screenies look ok but I did find it (on my gamma setting) to be too dark and dingy. There's just not enough contrast between the map, the sky and the lava (which also looks brown to me at the light level you used). So yeah, that new sky would definitely help. I did like the lights you put in the corridors as they break them up nicely, both in terms of looks and also providing a smidgen of cover.

Now I don't think this would make a good duel map due to the scale, disconnectedness and frequent lack of visibility of the other guy. As for the start positions, well what makes you think they'd need to be in different places for different numbers of players? One thing I can say is that they are currently in the worst possible spots - on an exposed corner at the furthest point from any weapon. The current spawns could be improved if you placed weapons on the lifts though. Off the top of my head then I'd also place a DM start up by each SSG, cut an alcove out of the central area opposite each medikit and put a couple more starts in there.

But you're on ST, surely you can go add some bots and see what feels right?

Hey, thanks for actually checking it out!

Actually, there is a way out of the lava. From the center "island" off each corner is a teleport that stick you on the far south-west island with some medkits. So if you can make your way to one of the teleports you can get healed up and continue the action. I just made the teleports hidden so they're not too easy to find. But if you know where they are it's pretty easy to leap off the corners of the center island and hit the teleport without taking any damage from the lava.

I'm working on another version that will expand the playfield and it will likely have more deathmatch starts so it won't be a duel map anymore (and as I said, a duel map wasn't really the intention in the first place). Once I'm done with that, I will upload it again and hopefully do some playtesting with some friends!

That looks great. Does that work on doom legacy? i can play splitscreen game on doom legacy.

Don't really need a skybox. Just surrounding the whole map with cliffs and lava flows. Adding some more platforms and such as well.