Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Books with fantasy/mythical content about angels or heaven?

Yeah, I'm interested in books that contain angels and heaven, similar to how demons and hell are contained in many others.

Most of the time angels and heaven are shown as powerful once-in-a-lifetime illusionary inexistent unverified moral messages, not as characters and a place. Most average people (the general audience) wouldn't need any complicated depiction anyway.

I'm asking this because I'd need some inspiration in order to try to picture them in Doom, and indeed, Wikipedia has described me quite some peculiar variations of angels: the Thrones, as wheels with eyes all over, carrying God's Throne. And of course the Seraphim, with six wings each. And so on... such as the more humanoid (but androgynous) archangels. Would be interesting to see lots of strange (but luminous) types of creatures.

In Nomine -- or, if you read French, the original INS/MV which is a lot more fun.

I love To Reign In Hell by Steven Brust, but others consider it overrated. However, as you're probably looking for imagery to draw inspiration from, this might not be the right book as most of the physical descriptions are kinda boring. Good story though.

If comics count, try to get your hands on tons of Spawn. It has plenty of both demons/hell and angels/heaven. Plus Spawn is the shit.

Books with fantasy/mythical content about angels or heaven?

THE BIBLE.

(Can't believe I'm the first.)

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman has an angel in it. It's a fun fantasy book (note that fantasy does not always equal a retarded LotR rip off with dragon-orcs fighting for the crown of Endor or whatever).

destx said:

I liked Good Omens. Really funny in parts.

I agree with this one. Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett satirizing religion? How can you go wrong?

Bucket said:

THE BIBLE.

(Can't believe I'm the first.)

It's far too boring.

Plus, 99% of the OT is spent detailing all the times the LORD thy GOD ordered so or so to invade a city, destroy everything inside, slaughter all the men and all the women and all the cattle and all the children except the girls that were still virgins because those had to be raped instead; all that because the third-cousin twice-removed of the maidservant of the uncle of that city's ruler had insulted the LORD thy GOD by eating lents without putting onions in it, or something like that. The NT is pretty much nothing but Jesus being a filthy commie hippy.

The funny bits with funky critters that have four legs, four wings, and four heads, they are few and far between.