Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomygecko

Let's discuss Skymaybe

So I decided to attempt to replay Skymaybe today but the concerto started giving me a headache about the time I got to murder in the dark.

So what's everyone elses opinion of this perverse feat of demented genius?

It was neat for the first minute, but I'm not gonna say I seriously enjoyed it. Guess I'm not an artsy type.

If someone could smuggle the "Blessed Engine" (the equivalent for Doom II) ...

DuckReconMajor said:

I'm in love with the mine launcher. Has anyone ever made a weapon that does something similar?

Twice Risen

I always liked it, and now that I've tried it out again recently without relying on idkfa and iddqd I have more respect for it than ever. The monsters are absurdly dangerous, but to counteract that the player is given absurdly powerful weapons, and to counteract that again the weapons have a very good chance of killing you, and all of this results in a project that is actually very well-balanced once you know how to approach each of the inventive challenges. It reminds me of I Wanna Be The Guy in that regard

I recently posted a UV-Speed demo of this level in the Speed Demos forum, which is good but not fantastic, and I'm actually working on a UV-max, which will be a fascinating demo if I finish it.

You mean that mess makes sense, and it's playable? Honestly, but also influenced by Doomworld, I thought that was just a more elaborate trollwad, not something worthy. However I couldn't go too far, because its vanilla-like engine had crashed, for something.

It really is playable if you know what you'll be facing before you face it, which definitely isn't the standard of balance that Doom levels typically are held to.

The Sky May Be is probably my favorite Doom map, it was one of the very first maps I played that completely changed everything about the game.

DuckReconMajor said:

Let me just note (because white-knighting for TSMB is my new hobby) that the recommended command line in that wiki article does not actually run The Sky May Be correctly. Because of some flaw or other in _SMB417.WAD, many sprites that should be replaced by this project won't be, even if you use Chocolate Doom's -merge command, and even if you load _SMB417.WAD with a more advanced port. The only way to get a wad file that works (SKYMAYBE.WAD) is by completing the project's install process by running INSTALL.EXE over a directory that contains a copy of Vanilla Doom 1. It's some trouble, yes, but don't worry - these old exe's are harmless.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

Um... how do I run this thing? All I see is an EXE rather than a WAD, and I'd rather not go around running weird EXEs...

The EXE is really nothing more than a compressed archive. Run it in DOSBOX and see for yourself.

Even if the "mysterious .exe" contains a virus it will be a 10 year old virus that even AVG free would exterminate almost immediatley.

Well, I've finally played it. It's... interesting.

Alas, I couldn't finish it. I have no idea how to get past The Great God Imp; there are two doors and one leads to His chambers, but I can't figure out how to open the other door.

Baby Bonnie Hood said:

Alas, I couldn't finish it. I have no idea how to get past The Great God Imp; there are two doors and one leads to His chambers, but I can't figure out how to open the other door.

You have to run up to the highest platform in the Great God Imp's room to open the other door.

Hooray! I've finished The Sky May Be without cheating!

...on Ultra-Violence.

Which is apparently skill 1 in this WAD.

I might play it again at a higher difficulty level another time.

...maybe.