Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotpockets

Texture alignment help

Is it possible to move, scale, or stretch textures? Because I have a sector at 64x64 all the way around, and im using the texture GATE1 and it looks like this:

YUCK!

I also have a sector with the door action and its bigger than the texture but, it looks a little like this:

YUCKY!! So can anyone answer my question please?

The problem with your GATE1 sector is that it's not aligned with the 64x64 grid. Doom's flats can't be aligned like the wall textures, you have to place them on the grid.

Now to me, it looks like your door is the right width (128 units), but there's an unnecessary X offset on the texture, making it look ugly. Set it to 0 and see how it looks.

First one: doom is based on a 64x64 grid system. You need to move your room(s) around so the textures fit or make a new texture that fit the placement.

Second: Use x (and y) alignment to align the door.

You should really read a basic mapping tutorial...

Edit: beat by the clock.

Torn said:

First one: doom is based on a 64x64 grid system. You need to move your room(s) around so the textures fit or make a new texture that fit the placement.

Second: Use x (and y) alignment to align the door.

You should really read a basic mapping tutorial...

Edit: beat by the clock.

Well, I went to the Doom builder website and watched the tutorials there and they didnt say anything about alignment.

kaplanator said:

The problem with your GATE1 sector is that it's not aligned with the 64x64 grid. Doom's flats can't be aligned like the wall textures, you have to place them on the grid.

Now to me, it looks like your door is the right width (128 units), but there's an unnecessary X offset on the texture, making it look ugly. Set it to 0 and see how it looks.

It looks good. but on the other side, the height texture is the same as the other side. its smaller. how do i fix it?

NaturalTvventy said:

totally off topic, but which editor is he using? neato you can see the level while editing

Doombuilder 2

I think by default, in visual mode, pressing R on a texture will reset it's offsets to 0,0 which would align your texture the way you want it. At least it's R in Doombuilder 1, I know some of the controls were changed in Doombuilder 2, i set them to mimic DB1's as much as possible though.

Couldn't you have put all this shit into one thread, instead of starting two. -.-

Anyways, for the wall textures use the arrow keys to align them as you wish (3D Mode, assuming your using Doom Builder.), but the floor textures are aligned to the grid.

hotpockets said:

Well, I went to the Doom builder website and watched the tutorials there and they didnt say anything about alignment.

Try this tutorial and don't be put off by it's focus on Doom Builder 1.63, most of the content's still relevant.

avery1555 said:

Anyways, for the wall textures use the arrow keys to align them as you wish

SHIFT-R is better.

Can anyone tell me how (if it is possible) to align a bunch of connected textures in DB2 but set the initial offset of the first line?

eg, If I had a nice curved wall with a certain texture on every line of the curve, I know that I can just hit a key to have them all align seamlessly across the curve. But what if I want to do that but have the first line with an offset of 32 (or whatever) because the pattern looks good against another bit or architecture and then have every line on the curve beyond the first line matching up properly with respect to that initial offset of 32? How would I do that other than manually?

Align the textures to that original line. As in, point the cross-hair to that initial texture and hit A, all the other textures will align to that one and it will keep the offsets you gave it.

NaturalTvventy said:

totally off topic, but which editor is he using? neato you can see the level while editing

What editor are you using? o_O

Also while I realise it may be a little advanced for our new friend here, I'm really surprised no-one has mentioned the ACS function 'sector_setfloorpanning'.

Most people try not to suggest anything not vanilla-capable unless the person says he's using a certain source port, plus in his case it's not really gonna hurt him to move his teleporter over 32 units.

Now that I know it exists though: Hey that's pretty cool.

Enjay said:

Can anyone tell me how (if it is possible) to align a bunch of connected textures in DB2 but set the initial offset of the first line?

eg, If I had a nice curved wall with a certain texture on every line of the curve, I know that I can just hit a key to have them all align seamlessly across the curve. But what if I want to do that but have the first line with an offset of 32 (or whatever) because the pattern looks good against another bit or architecture and then have every line on the curve beyond the first line matching up properly with respect to that initial offset of 32? How would I do that other than manually?

Autoalign applies to all connected lines that share the same texture. You can change that texture temporarily, autoalign, then change it back.

Krispavera said:

Align the textures to that original line. As in, point the cross-hair to that initial texture and hit A, all the other textures will align to that one and it will keep the offsets you gave it.

Oh, I thought that the first texture always got set to X offset 0. Clearly I was doing it wrong. Thanks.

In Visual Mode you can also just left-click, hold and drag the texture around over the wall. You can do this with a selection as well: Left click a bunch of walls to select them, then left-click on one that is already selected, hold and drag and all selected walls will follow the same changes.