Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom Marine

Would you like Stroylent with that?

I love how they haven't produced any meat yet and are already making outrageous claims about it. They also glossed over the fact that this still requires living animals to make, in this case embryos produced from slaughtered pigs whose eggs have been fertilized. I'm sure the process can be streamlined, but I doubt it will necessarily be healthier.

Well, healthy or the same, if this goes well, why risk the animals afterwards? I just hope it doesn't go bad.

Bank damnit, stop trying to eat the people!

Or we could just avoid burgers altogether and makes some damn good homemade meals. Next!

/is starting to grow his own food

People also forget that there is already an alternative source for meat that is both good and healthy: wild animals. I admit I don't like the idea of killing a living creature, but it's a lot more humane in the end and the meat is much better. I doubt the wild population could support everybody, however, but Danarchy's suggestion of raising the food yourself would pick up most of the slack. We shouldn't be eating that much meat anyway.

That whole in-vitro-burgers story is kinda timeline, I've been hearing it coming on and off since 1999 or 2000. And it was Soylent, if I recall correctly?

Snarboo said:

People also forget that there is already an alternative source for meat that is both good and healthy: wild animals.

Let's turn this into a hunting thread then :-p

Let's discuss shotguns, rifles, cartridges, pellets, camo clothing, accessories etc. and preferred prey (birds, rodents, small game, big game, "big five" etc.)

This looks like a good spot for a Far Side cartoon...

In-vitro meat doesn't yet exist but that's not stopping the vested interests from promoting the products dubious health, economic and environmental benefits.

I thought NASA was growing steaks in petri dishes a long time ago?

I also recall something about a lab in Europe that produced a tree which its fruit bore some kind of meat like substance.

[edit]Aww, nevermind looks like that one was from the Weekly World News. It was a long time ago that I had heard it though.

AirRaid said:

Hasn't this been around a couple years already? There was a question on QI about it.

It pops up every now and then, I was hoping to be first in line to try some embryonic burgers but that's still far in the future.

*remembers watchin I am Legend*

I can imagine this going horribly wrong and a mind controlling bacteria/virus (there are some of those out there, but to insects and what not) to produce a 'zombified' population. Then we can all get our shotguns and play Doom how it was meant to be played.

Ninjalah said:

Then we can all get our shotguns and play Doom how it was meant to be played.

Wouldn't that break vanilla compatibility? Thus, it's unacceptable! How dare you!

Maes said:

Wouldn't that break vanilla compatibility? Thus, it's unacceptable! How dare you!

Does anyone use Vanilla anyways? I'm a fan of (G)Zdoom myself, so I get all the features such as translucent textures!

On a side note, If you had the chance, would you eat Vanilla Doom? This question is confusing to me too but to hell with it, I'd eat it. (Insert dirty joke oh ho ho ho hee haw haw haw!)

Ninjalah said:

On a side note, If you had the chance, would you eat Vanilla Doom?

If you mean freshly harvested, certified organic, free-range Vanilla Doom - sure I would - the putrid, over-processed, GMO-riddled stuff Steam offers is another story.

Sure...I wonder what "growing meat" looks like. In Star Trek, meat is resequenced proteins. Is this article talking about something similar?