Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Devalaous

Quake 1 for XP: Ideal singleplayer source port

So I recently got Quake 1, a game I have been looking for for countless years (I actually managed to play every other Quake and Doom, but never Quake 1 till now, I hadnt even seen a SCREENSHOT of Quake)

Winquake is all pixelated and some animations are so jerky that they make my head hurt. GLQuake has no brightness settings, and the game plays like a cross between Quake 2 and Doom 3 (Cant see shit captain!)

I want to be able to play the game well, without being blind, or suffer from motion sickness, preferably in OpenGL. I also only play Singleplayer, and have the two expansion packs on the way. What port is best to play all three games? And where would I get said ports?

TyrQuake ftw

Also even though it's fairly off-topic, not sure what leileilol meant about "no good Quake3 port", but ioquake3 is excellent in pretty much every way.

Ragnor said:

I hadnt even seen a SCREENSHOT of Quake

How is that even possible unless you've been living under a rock since 1995?

In terms of Quake 1 ports, DarkPlaces has been mentioned already.This page has an enhanced version of GLQuake as well as the Nehahra engine.

There's also Qrack.

FitzQuake has been mentioned already. Then there's Telejano, which is a completed source port of Quake:

I didn't find much in the way of Quake 2 ports when I was looking for some. However, there's KMQuakeII which is best described as 'BOOM for Quake II'. There are some single player mods out there, like Pax Imperia that require the use of KMQuakeII.

Quake2XP is a Quake 2 port that, from what I can tell, has been recently updated, compared to other Quake 2 ports which appear to be dead/abandoned or in development hell.

Sadly, there isn't much out there in the way of Quake 2 single player mods/add-ons/etc to try out on those ports. Unless you're willing to stomach going through FilePlanet (which I can't), then your best bet is to try these links out:

http://www.3dgamersedge.com/
http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/

For single player shenanigans for Quake 1, Quaddicted is where you wanna go to get your fix:

http://www.quaddicted.com/

Happy hunting and hope this helps. (:

I vote for Darkplaces if you can run it. Might take some tweaking to get it to your liking, but it's a good smooth engine that happens to also look gorgeous. Only thing it really needs is some hi-def models and textures.

aguirRe's glquake & winquake have animation interpolation and increased map limits as well as solid performance with about half the cpu and memory consumption of other quake engines I've tried. TyrQuake is very good and has a better console for map loading etc.

The Quake 2 Compilation Project is a great vanilla quake ii engine. Other engines are either multiplayer only or singleplayer with system crushing eye candy.

A problem many ports have is that changing their video mode still requires command line parameters. The brightness slider not working in GLQuake might be related to the color depth or refresh rate iirc. Of all the suggested ports, Fitz and DP are the most convenient and versatile.

brightness slider works in tyr-glquake, although software rendering looks better anyhow.

MikeRS said:

software rendering looks better anyhow.

"gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR" then.

neg!ke said:

"gl_texturemode GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR" then.

Yeah that'll solve the fullbrights, lack of non-power-of-2, overbrights, waterwarp, etc.

Well, of course not. But at least it's a bit closer to software look while still offering the speed of a GL engine. I'm glad at least some ports do support overbrights.

exp(x) said:

Speed is not really an issue with a 13 year old software renderer.

I only ever used GLquake for the 'speed gain' on 1xxMHz machines (a big jump for 486s with the FPU strained less from rendering, essentially makes Quake 2x faster on early non-Pentiums). Pentium Pros and IIs, and everything after do not benefit much from it.

I'm only really interested in Quake 1 ports, since I already completed Quake 2 via the bonus disc that comes with the Xbox 360 version of Quake 4.

Furthermore, im more interested in just having the game playable without the nonsense the included engines give me. This will be the first time ever palying Quake; I dont want to ruin it with hi-res textures, models, and so on.

Also, how on earth do you even use the two expansions? The first one's setup exe doesnt even work on XP!

I guess I'm way too spoiled from things like Zdoom, with 6/7/8 games playable just from throwing files in a directory, heh

Ragnor said:

The first one's setup exe doesnt even work on XP!

Yes it does.

You launch with '-game hipnotic -hipnotic' for the first one, and '-game rogue -rogue' for the second.

leileilol said:

Quake3:
there's no good quake3 port.

Right... pull the other one.

ioquake3

THE best Quake 3 source port around. Fixes many bugs and adds many features. It's used as the base of many free TCs.

leileilol said:

Yeah, like laggy mouse movement. No thanks.

http://ioquake3.org/source-codes/ said:

SDL is required

Oh my god. I absolutely cannot believe it. A program built with SDL, having crappy input controls? This is astonishing.

Pay no attention to leileilol - he's a jackass. There's many threads on what a jackass he is over at the ioquake3 forums. He's always giving them a hard time... because he's a jackass. Ioquake3 doesn't have input problems... he's just being the jackass he is.

Here's one of those threads... check out what a complete douchebag leileilol is!

http://ioquake.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47

He's mostly being a jackass because he happened to checkout a revision of the ioquake3 subversion repository at just the wrong time to include that particular IN DEVELOPMENT version of ioquake3 with OpenArena, and it so happened to have broken mouse support at that point.

I take back my remark about not needing a Quake 2 port. Default Quake 2 cant run fullscreen over a certain resolution, what on earth.

I find it funny though how no matter what graphic setting you choose, its far less detailed than the Xbox 360 port, which looks to me like a copy and paste onto a disc with some console specific changes.

Chilly Willy said:

Pay no attention to leileilol - he's a jackass. There's many threads on what a jackass he is over at the ioquake3 forums. He's always giving them a hard time... because he's a jackass. Ioquake3 doesn't have input problems... he's just being the jackass he is.

Here's one of those threads... check out what a complete douchebag leileilol is!

http://ioquake.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47

<timeline.png>

I'm sorry about the rant earlier. I shouldn't insult people. I'll try to hold me tongue.

I'll just say, try ioquake3 yourself before writing it off. Every program goes through versions where something gets broken. Ioquake3 has enough people working on it and using it that such problems get worked out fairly quickly.

Ragnor said:

I take back my remark about not needing a Quake 2 port. Default Quake 2 cant run fullscreen over a certain resolution, what on earth.

I find it funny though how no matter what graphic setting you choose, its far less detailed than the Xbox 360 port, which looks to me like a copy and paste onto a disc with some console specific changes.

Quake 2 got an XBox port? Are you referring to something homebrewed, or did you really mean Quake 4?

Ragnor said:

Well, again I like The Quake 2 Compilation Project. It's very vanilla in looks and performance however it dose include a new gl renderer with some minor enhancements. It even allows non vanilla resolutions with the new renderer or the old!

Q2ICE was one I really liked but the developer gave it up and the binary has since fallen off the earth.

EGL is great if you want more enhancements. It is focused on multiplayer but doesn't really break singleplayer. The last I heard the ending cinematic crashes the game and will be fixed sometime.

BeefQuake and Quake2Max are good though a bit of a hog on my system a few years ago. I'm not sure these support the expansion packs but the other 3 I listed do. Quake 2 XP is also great but it takes more machine then I have at the moment.

Check out FPS Ports and try the lot of them. I'm sure you will find something. AprQ2 is good but multiplayer only as it breaks singleplayer.