Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
NaturalTvventy

GRNMAP and such

I'm trying to make deep slime. I don't know how to turn the color green once you are underwater however. I tried copying the way boomedit.wad does it, but the color does not come through. Do I need to add a GRNMAP something in order to make it work? If so, how? I see that it will work with WATERMAP but that's the only one that seems to function.

Thx.

NT

What makes you think that GRNMAP is wishful thinking? It's part of some Boom package but unfortunately I don't exactly know where to find it.

sweet. Now if I only knew how to implement them. what's a .bmp file and a .lmp file? do I have to use scripting to utilize colormaps? I don't think my wad editor supports scripts. I'm using the version of DETH found on the team TNT web site.

NT

No, you don't need scripts.

The only thing you need to know is how to put the colormaps into a WAD. They need to be enclosed by empty lumps called C_START and C_END so that the engine can find them.

A lump is just a chunk or embedded file in a WAD, and empty ones (much like a text file with no text) are often used as markers. You have XWE or a similar application make a new lump in your WAD and then rename it to the name you need (such as C_START.)

Graf Zahl said:

What makes you think that GRNMAP is wishful thinking?

Wulllll the Zdoom wiki never heard of it. WATERMAP is the only one that's native to Zdoom is it not?

BTW I love how when the guy originally asked a question no-one replied, but the minute I make an erroneous statement then everyone's straight in here.

Cybershark said:

Wulllll the Zdoom wiki never heard of it. WATERMAP is the only one that's native to Zdoom is it not?

ZDoom doesn't really support colormaps in the same way as Boom. WATERMAP is internally a color blending. Custom PLAYPAL effects (like changing the invulnerability colormap) are not supported.

Spot the knoob!

BLUMAP, GRNMAP, REDMAP, YELMAP and GRYMAP are all seperate colourmaps i have seen around and implemented in various wads. The demo of the old "Twice Risen" wad has some nice use of GRNMAP. Being Boom effects they ought to work with all boom compatible ports (though i can see them having been quietly shelved from some ports as few people appear to remember them)

To implement them, obtain the colourmap data files by downloading cmap tool. Now open your wad in Wintex (dunno how to do it in XWE but it's probably similar). Go to the "data" section, create an entry called C_START. Then import your colourmap UNDER C_START. You might need to close and re-open Wintex as it can sometimes go wierd when you import data and duplicate entries. If there's now two GRNMAP's, delete the bottom one. Now create another new entry below your colourmap(s) called C_END.
Make sure the positions are right!, if you get it wrong close your wad without saving and open it and start again. Your data section should look like

C_START
GRNMAP
C_END

Now, in the wad create deep water using the usual boom method. In your dummy sector, go to the lindef where you have "set" the deep water, and type in GRNMAP as the LOWER texture. It will say there's no such texture, of course, but that doesn't matter.

Now when you play the game and sink under your deep water, everything should look green!

The link to the wintex d/l from doomworld seems to be misdirected.... after waiting those silly 5 minutes I d/l'd some guy's speed run or somethin'. Does the tool have a web page?

NT

WinTex is old and suffers from several design decisions which makes it a very bad choice if you ever intend to mod for a modern port which has new lumps that didn't exist back in the time WinTex was coded.

Do yourself a favor and get Slumped instead. http://slumped.mancubus.net/

It is worth mentioning that if the WAD is intended for Zdoom, then there is no need to use these colormaps in the first place. Just put the appropriate Hex number on the lower side def for the colour that you want instead of the name for a colormap.

This is in the format of AARRGGBB (alpha, red, green, blue)

In Boom, WATERMAP was distributed with the game but the others weren't. As a result, Zdoom supports WATERMAP but you will not find any such lump in zdoom.pk3. Internally, Zdoom simply applies its own filter which, I believe, is equivalent to putting 80004fa5 on the lower side def.

Cybershark said:

BTW I love how when the guy originally asked a question no-one replied, but the minute I make an erroneous statement then everyone's straight in here.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/community/comics/gallery.html#28