Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ninjalah

Door Help.

Probably because the 2 trapezoids have too short of ceilings. Say if the door floor and ceiling both = 0.. the door will open to 4 pixels (or 8 or something) below the next lowest adjacent ceiling. If door ceiling = 0, make trapezoid floor + ceiling = 64 or something higher like that.

Mainly set the Floor height to Ceiling, but I bet you got that when the person said it, but this is in simpler terms.
That does seem interesting on that shot ingame.

The design.
Why would a problem be interesting? It's common, it's happened to mapper in the beginning, but it's easy to over come.
My method for the door issue is have the Low-Unpeg on the sides but itself isn't a sector, in fact more of the emptiness of the map and not connected, then do everything else that is well known by lower door sector.... *blah blah, same old crap..*
Your method is good but you have to have the unpeg side sectors equivalent to the ceiling of the door stopping point.

Ha thanks. I can see how that problem would be common though. This wad I'm making is going to be a progression wad, showing the differences in experience over the 4 maps (so far).

You can just delete the trapezoid sectors, you can't see under or over them so the sector serves no purpose of being there. It's just two additional planes that don't need to be there.

I cant do that Mr. Rancid. They're there for design purposes, showing the two blue banners. See the 3d pic.

Ninjalah said:

I cant do that Mr. Rancid. They're there for design purposes, showing the two blue banners. See the 3d pic.

instead of using lower or upper textures just use middle textures there ... if the height is zeroed it might as well be a 1-sided linedef. Just try it and if you don't like it exit without saving >.<

Ninjalah said:

I managed to get the door working but didn't like looking through 1-sided linedefs - fixed that by deleting the trapeziod sectors behind the doortracks, which can be done without affecting the banners.

<curses MediaFire and their retardedly slow servers!>

GreyGhost said:

I managed to get the door working but didn't like looking through 1-sided linedefs - fixed that by deleting the trapeziod sectors behind the doortracks, which can be done without affecting the banners.

<curses MediaFire and their retardedly slow servers!>

Why does everyone hate trapezoids? Well, I could see how you could just texture the middle, but when i build maps I usually think in an Architectural sense, which is why i actually built and raised the trapezoid.

No one's saying they hate them. We're saying that it's not necessary for the sector to be there. You can still have the linedefs in that shape, just that the sector is unnecessary. Highlight the sector and press delete and you'll see what we mean.

There's another problem. THAT door has to be at most as tall as 96. If it's more, then it won't tile properly unless using Boom (not tested with latest ZDoom or GZDoom, but last time I tried, it looked bad -- and definitely not going to work in Doom.Exe or Chocolate Doom!)

printz said:

There's another problem. THAT door has to be at most as tall as 96. If it's more, then it won't tile properly unless using Boom (not tested with latest ZDoom or GZDoom, but last time I tried, it looked bad -- and definitely not going to work in Doom.Exe or Chocolate Doom!)

Oh hell thanks for reminding me, it was supposed to be another texture. I'm just realizing how stupid it looks.

Why are the trapezoid-shaped sectors even necessary? I could understand if you were going for some texture-layering effect, but that's not what I'm seeing here, as the trapezoid sectors are under the overhang along with the door's sector.

Hey hey, I'm new to this, so i thought i would make it so that there a banners bordering the door. Didnt know any other way of doing it then building it up then slapping textures on it. Sue me.