Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Motornerve is a set of essentially short intense deathmatch maps. All the maps are designed and tested initially with deathmatch in mind. While the maps are intended for deathmatch, they also double as Hell Revealed style monsters-coming-at-you-from-every-direction singleplayer/cooperative maps.

Inspired lightly by Perdition's Gate, which in the text file states that the maps double as single player and deathmatch maps, in which the later hell-themed maps were more apparently designed with deathmatch in mind. Motornerve consists of quite a few finished versions of maps I started a while back but never completed. Uses all Doom 2 textures only, some of the maps have experimental texture themes that I think came out pretty well (including "wood-tech" that I posted a screenshot of and most people seemed in favor of) Progress is going real steady, at a rate where I could get a full map finished, detailed, textures aligned, tested in deathmatch, and tested in single player in a single day. The rate is more like one map every two days now. But the results are still good.

Will need some playtesting soon. Will post screenshots tomorrow.

MAP01: Decontra Center - 100% (img)
MAP02: Deadfall - 100% (img) (img)
MAP03: Poison Society - 100% (img)
MAP04: Homicide Party - 100% (img)
MAP05: Panic Room - 100% (img)
MAP06: Heresyte Machine - 100% (img)
MAP07: The Bunker - 100% (img) (img)
MAP08: Wrong Answer - 100% (img)
MAP09: Bulletproof - 100% (img)
MAP10: PseudoDoom - 100%
MAP11: Witch Parade - 100% (img) (img)
MAP12: Dead Air at the Pulpit - 100% (img) (img)
MAP13: Graveyard Shift - 100% (img) (img)
MAP14: Mossgrave - 100% (img) (img)
MAP15: Cataract Canyon - 100% (img)
MAP16: Roctagon - 100% (img) (img)
MAP17: Human Detergent - 100% (img) (img)
MAP18: Avertencia - 100%
MAP19: Viscera Summit - 100% (img) (img)
MAP20: Degryzor Center - 100% (img) (img)

MAP31: (Secret map) - 100%

READY FOR PLAYTESTING

Good to know no one cares. Screenshots added.

I care, I care a whole lot cause this looks snazzy. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

I care, Johnny, I care ;_;

I actually came back to nag you to post screenshots and here they are! I particularly like the first shot of MAP02, as well as MAP05 and MAP06. 8 and 9 both look promising too.

Glad you're incorporating single player, as I don't really deathmatch. Are you going for like, balanced difficult gameplay, or the whole 2500 monsters and a billion BFG cells thing like punishr/smedley/go2it?

JohnnyRancid said:

Good to know no one cares. Screenshots added.

Considering I know you've used forums for a decent while now, I would figure that you've learned that not everyone is waiting around just to reply to your posts/threads. I thought that was strictly a noob mistake. I guess I was wrong.

That said, some of these shots are actually not too bad looking.

I saw this last night and was thinking of commenting but I don't DM and the SS weren't up yet, so not much for me to comment on =/ Anyway really like the first SS of deadfall, crazy roof designs with lights are niiiice. Also the poison room and the wood tech are looking good. I've also noticed you like putting high ceilings with lights at normal ceiling level. Kind of weird but cool idea.

Super Jamie said:

Glad you're incorporating single player, as I don't really deathmatch. Are you going for like, balanced difficult gameplay, or the whole 2500 monsters and a billion BFG cells thing like punishr/smedley/go2it?

Eww no. Every map is playable from a pistol start. There's a little less than a hundred monsters per map. I hate BFGs so only a few of the maps have BFGs in really hard to reach areas. It's mostly shotguns, supershotguns, chainguns and rocketlaunchers, since those are the main doom weapons. There's plasma guns and chainsaws too but they are harder to reach, and it seems like an unspoken tradition to put chainsaws only in the exit rooms. (Like the GothicDM series) Since they are deathmatch maps, you get some of the bigger weapons early in every map. However health and ammo are very scarce, so precision and timing is pretty important.

The gameplay reminds me more of Hell Revealed and Plutonia 2 styled stuff. Not the "you vs. one bazillion imps" thing like you described. The intent is to keep the player on his toes at all times, by having monsters in surrounding him in varying directions, and struggling to find cover in really unfriendly territory, instead of like the map I made in the past, where you simply pick off one or two monsters at a time through every hallway.

A long time ago I edited Gothic DM 2 and jammed a bunch of monsters in all the maps. While playing it in single player, I found that tons of monsters in open deathmatch areas made me feel in a constant panic while dodging projectiles coming from every direction. The result was exhilarating, and I realized good deathmatch arenas (like Doom2's MAP07 for example) made excellent fast paced single player maps as well. However I wasn't allowed to release it because the maps weren't mine and the text file stated that they couldn't be used as a base. So here I am making my own deathmatch maps.

Nomad said:

Considering I know you've used forums for a decent while now, I would figure that you've learned that not everyone is waiting around just to reply to your posts/threads. I thought that was strictly a noob mistake. I guess I was wrong.

I was just being sarcastically conceited.

ArmouredBlood said:

I've also noticed you like putting high ceilings with lights at normal ceiling level. Kind of weird but cool idea.

Yes I love high ceilings with low hanging ceiling lights.

JohnnyRancid said:

Eww no. Every map is playable from a pistol start.

Music to my ears. An entire pack of quick small arenas with well-thought-out completable gameplay, and with your style of monster placement which is usually pretty clever. Now I really am excited!

Yes I love high ceilings with low hanging ceiling lights.

I have found this is a sneaky way to make a room appear detailed when it really isn't, I guess because it dynamically breaks up the player's view of otherwise repeating textures.

Super Jamie said:

I have found this is a sneaky way to make a room appear detailed when it really isn't, I guess because it dynamically breaks up the player's view of otherwise repeating textures.

Ha! that's exactly it. It makes rooms look like there's more to them than there really is, and as said, you can make rooms bigger while the repeating textures get blocked by the low hanging ceilings that get in the way. Kinda like in the second screenshot of Deadfall, where the room is actually very big, but the low hanging ceilings get in the way and kinda hide the generally boring looking walls if those ceilings weren't there to interfere. I'm really satisfied with the way it came out.

Given I was one of the people hassling you to get a few of these maps out, now that you have gone and done this, I will definitely take a look at these when they are ready. :)

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8205/doom0003.png (Screenie from map 03)

I love this screenie. Now anyone can do a brown/metal techbase level, but to do a gray one is harder, coz there is less contrast to make it look interesting. But the green ceiling flat and the 'high' green-stained textures look awesome and give some really nice contrast.

Glad to see these maps being released. :)

edit: Also, Motornerve is a great name for this mapset.

JohnnyRancid said:

Ha! that's exactly it. It makes rooms look like there's more to them than there really is, and as said, you can make rooms bigger while the repeating textures get blocked by the low hanging ceilings that get in the way. Kinda like in the second screenshot of Deadfall, where the room is actually very big, but the low hanging ceilings get in the way and kinda hide the generally boring looking walls if those ceilings weren't there to interfere. I'm really satisfied with the way it came out.

Heh, I've been thinking about making a tech base map and actually got the layout and most of a room done, but I think I'll steal this idea for detailing :P

Maps 1-10 are officially 100% done minus skill levels, I should probably do that since many people here are in favor of it.

Updated. More screenshots. Much progress. Nearing completion.

Those maps look excellent. Have you been building this for a while now? Or are you just incredibly fast at building maps?

I've been working on this non-stop. I think I started on the 14th when people were commenting on some wads I made in the past that I posted screenshots of. I figured it's probably best I finish them. However only about 4 of the maps in this pack are the ones I started a while back. The majority were made from scratch recently for this project.

Detailing is relatively fast and easy for me. The layouts are a little harder. I drew most of them on paper first while I was out at work. Once I get a basic layout done the rest of map is easy.

You're a machine! I've been working on one map forever. Then again, I work more in short bursts rather than non-stop. I just don't have the creative energy to work non-stop.

@JohnnyRancid:I find your work very impressive and I sincerely hope that you will not lose motivation. I may yet even play this modication when it completed.

Maps 1-14 100% completed - including skill levels. Gotta get started on some new ones. I have work tomorrow so I'll draw some layouts then.

Oh, there are new screenshots in OP!

I love the mix of themes you have going on in maps here. Brown stone/brick/bronze/metal in MAP04 and MAP08, and the green stone/tekgrn/tekwall in MAP13, and of course wood/metal/concrete/warn in MAP05. It's really eye-catching and they work well with each other, even though I wouldn't instantly think to put those textures next to each other.

/r/ beta test release :P

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned it, but then again i'm new. But the one thing that came to my attention probably the most but really shouldnt have is the lighting in the first screenshot for the second map. Sometimes i forget you can be creative with lighting, rather than just a tool rarely used in Doom (Doom 3 /glare).

This is definitely some excellent looking piece of WADcraft you have going here Johnny.

What is this thread doing off the first page? I noticed that the first post has been edited quite recently. Those latest shots are looking pretty manly.

Yeah it's still in progress. I don't know if I'm gonna go beyond 20 maps, I'm running out of steam.

Heh, I woulda been out of steam after the first few maps. I still have no idea how people make (good!) maps so quickly. Maps take me months at a time sometimes.

Cataract Canyon and Avertencia still need work. After that it's all ready for playtesting.

ehh.. It's more for show than it is for playing. I'm less than impressed with how the layout turned out. I spent most of the time with the lighting. and the mountains in the foreground. Many of the other maps have better layouts AND appealing design.