Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beatles9forever

The OTHER doomguy guy on the the doom 1 cover art?

I was looking at a doom music video were it was just a pic of the cover art and i noticed something.

another doom guy?

i did some research and couldnt find anything.
is there a story behind this that i dont know?

Either a hint that Doom has multiplayer, or as someone else said, you, considering that the marine upfront is a goner.

printz said:

Either a hint that Doom has multiplayer, or as someone else said, you, considering that the marine upfront is a goner.

are you sure that would be it?
i would think there would be more of a story to it -.-
oh well.

Hardcore_gamer's avatar = hardcore_gamer's questions?

Anyway it may either be a reference to COOP, or else it was made whilst they still hoped to have AI "helpers" in the game.

I always just figured it was a picture of another doomguy about to get killed or something. I figured those dead bodies all had to come from somewhere, most likely once living doomguys.

So, you guys never noticed the dying doomguy on the Doom (shareware, registered, ultimate) title screen? He's got a baron right behind him. On the other side, there's a demon killing a former human with a big chomp.

beatles9forever said:

i did some research and couldnt find anything.
is there a story behind this that i dont know?

No.

Gez said:

So, you guys never noticed the dying doomguy on the Doom (shareware, registered, ultimate) title screen? He's got a baron right behind him. On the other side, there's a demon killing a former human with a big chomp.

I actually just noticed this not too long ago. I don't know how I missed it for so many years.

deathbringer said:

Hardcore_gamer's avatar = hardcore_gamer's questions?

Where's he?

i always thought that the "other marine" was supposed to be a a zombie. but the multiplayer sounds like a better idea to me now.

The Doom "story" states that before you even step into the first room, your entire platoon was getting wiped off the face of Phobos. It is possible that neither of the marines on the cover are the Player, because certainly you keep finding marine corpses as you play through the game so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that some of your fellow soldiers made it further than others.

Bank said:

It is possible that neither of the marines on the cover are the Player, because certainly you keep finding marine corpses as you play through the game so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that some of your fellow soldiers made it further than others.

Hah! It would be awesome if the engine allowed dead players' corpses to accumulate throughout the game (in a separate/external lump that would be loaded/unloaded upon request and updated during gameplay).

Well, they do accumulate, as long as you play in multiplayer mode, which can be just one player, using -nodes 1... in the level you're currently playing, that is. I think there's a maximum of 32 corpses, though.

But that's different than if dying caused the level to revert to its original state, with one key difference: your old corpses are still there. Some roguelikes have a system like this. To further draw inspiration from roguelikes, these corpses could still hold some extra ammo, but to get it, you have to kill their ghastly, resurrected forms...

Bank said:

The Doom "story" states that before you even step into the first room, your entire platoon was getting wiped off the face of Phobos. It is possible that neither of the marines on the cover are the Player, because certainly you keep finding marine corpses as you play through the game so it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that some of your fellow soldiers made it further than others.

I like this idea.

And makes me want a wad that tells the stories of several of these marines, up till their grizzly deaths. That'd be hard to do though, and would need something like ZDoom for over the top scripting. Anyone else think this kind of wad could be a good idea?

Ragnor said:

I like this idea.

And makes me want a wad that tells the stories of several of these marines, up till their grizzly deaths. That'd be hard to do though, and would need something like ZDoom for over the top scripting. Anyone else think this kind of wad could be a good idea?

Sounds more like a fanfiction.