Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

What's a hydratyr?

For once, I think that's a made up word. I couldn't find any explanation on the dictionary or in the internet. Please discuss. Normally the Heretic designers used bent old English words, maybe this could be a worse victim? I hope it's not just two words joined: hydra and Tyr.

It's one of the best levels in Heretic, and upon seeing the water, I figured it was just an "ancient" spelling for hydrater.

I'd fully expected to find a meaning for this, if not in the regular dictionary, then in some more obscure (possibly medieval or foreign) word list. But after some Google searching, it seems the only instance of "hydratyr" as one word, not in direct reference to Heretic, is some Finnish guy apparently having it as his username, and he probably got it from Heretic.

I always assumed it meant "reservoir" because that's what the level reminded me of. But I guess we'll only know for sure if we hear it from the person who named the map.

Hydra: greek multi-headed maritime monster, Tyr: nordic god of war, Hydratyr: ugly offspring of the two? Or a water-based viking war god?

Btw, I also didn´t know an English term "hydrater", but when you search up the word with google image search you get for some reason many semi-nude pretty models...

"hydrater" in French is just the infinitive form of the verb "to hydrate". In English, there is a hydrator, which is like a moisturizer, but with just water (moisturizers include some oils as well).

I'm going to go with the "reservoir" theory.

A mixed wordplay with hydrator, hydra and satyr makes sense to me, especially considering the level characteristics (lots of water) and that in Greek hydros means "moist, wet or liquid".