Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Obscure Sprite-Based FPS Games

That game is ugly AND it has shit writing! Sounds like a classic! ;)

I didn't dislike ROTT because I couldn't take it seriously; I disliked ROTT because it's no fun to play it for more than 15 minutes at a time. The craziness and easter eggs were the only things it had going for it. Well, that and some of the dark atmospheres of the locations.

People, bring more weird shooters into this thread, always nice to see what you have missed. :P

Because this thread has started to turn into "ROTT: Good or bad" thread.

Heh, I remember H.U.R.L from some old pc magasine I had that featured an article about doom and some of the clones. I didn't think it was that bad. I also watched the guy's review of depth dwellers. I must say I feel how dan felt, I don't remember it being that bad, but IT IS... :(

There’s also Fortress of Dr Radiaki, a "comedy" fps.

Lot's of Cuban's, Robot's with toasters for heads, Ninja's, Giant speaking Rats etc

To take a few quotes from the intro:

"An unknown blackmailer vows to wreak atomic destruction on a global scale"...

"Expert's believe the blackmailer may be Dr Radiaki, a house hold appliance mogul who dabbles in nuclear physics in his spare time"...

"Radioactive waste has been detected leaking into the ocean from an island owned by Dr Radiaki"...

"The words Radiation and Radiaki start with the same letters. U.N intelligence is suspicious"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mq1l2bbfWI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7a3oNCYIiqo

There was also Disruptor on the Playstation (and maybe PC). I had the demo of it (on which cheats worked so you could try out all the weapons) but never got the full game. I ought to track it down in a second hand shop.

Krispavera said:

It's not a PC game but anyone ever played PO'ed?

PO'd was one of the first playstation games I had. I completed it utilizing a Gameshark, but it was so long ago I don't remember any of it aside from a couple things. Like, using the drill covered the screen with gore, and once you stopped using it PO'edguy would wipe the screen off with his hand which was amusing.

Also, the walking butts that farted at you.

And that you could do backflips with a certain button combo.

I should track that game down again.

Actually it kind of sucked. Either way you needed a cheat code to make the butt-like things make the fart sounds.

Go read the text a second time. Doesn't sound that familiar to actual events? US currency as a time bomb, nobody really want to touch? Maybe, these geniuses behind that game was just ahead of the time. :-D

The story in Pie in the Sky's games are purely satirical. You should check out Corncob 3-D's prologue. None of their games should ever be taken seriously. Their last game ever was a free promotional game for the new (badly designed) 3D GCS 3.0, in 2002. They disappeared since.

cybdmn said:

Both used the pie in the sky engine, a very poor wolf3d clone,

Not really a clone - for an independently made engine in 1993, it had variable heights, jumping, crouching, sneaking (!), transfer of momentum (jump forward and toss a grenade), shootable exploding barrels, a managable inventory, and rotating doors (that was removed in later 1994 revisions of the engine, which became famously licensable for $69.95USD). Its biggest issue was real mode memory management which limited the engine's potential too much to really make impressive stuff with. Still a 600KB memory limit to deal with. That ultimately limits a level to having only one enemy type used at a time.

One real crappy obscure one that's STILL not mentioned yet is Island Peril, released in 1995, in which you are slippery, shoot doom muzzleflashed' guns at big tough guys and nerds; get ammo from dispensers with a babe talking on the screen, and fight fat island natives. I don't have ingame footage though, but I do have the funny intro.

You play as "Dick Danger".

leileilol said:

Corncob 3-D

Wow, I haven't thought about that game in ages! I had so much fun shooting up those randomly blinking geometric shapes. It was one of the few flightsims I actually liked as a kid.

leileilol said:

Still a 600KB memory limit to deal with. That ultimately limits a level to having only one enemy type used at a time.

I remember that, i was a pain in the ass to handle that. But i remember too, that Operation Body Count used a gib ammount of conventional memory too. It wasn't the easiest task, to gett enough free memory to run it using the biggest screen size.

I have that Island Peril thing at home too, crazy stuff. As said, unfortunately those games are hard to find today, and i would love to add these to my collection.

Speaking of pie in the sky, two games i miss are Castaway: The Ordeal begins and Red Babe. :-D

There was another Megadrive/Genesis one i just remembered called Corporation, or maybe The Corporation. It ran in full (ish) screen, but to compensate had no textures, very low resolution for the "architecture" and a miniscule "draw distance" (it was so primitive such terms don't really apply). It was more a sort of dungeon crawler that they had tried to turn into an FPS. It had some interesting Syndicate Wars-ey dystopian future elements to it, if i remember rightly. But unfortunatley the game itself was incredibly incoherent and confusing to play. Generally you wandered around in the dark then got attacked by "something" and died.

Also my brother had a nightmare about it and refused to play it any more.

Wow...I looked for lethal tender one day, remembering a demo from when I was young or something, and I only found terminal terror. I thought I got the name confused and I had no idea they were two games!

Terminal terror was still a flashback, but it sucked a large amount.

I also played a funny game called Bobenstein once, where you would whack people with a rubber chicken and the like. I actually mailed five dollars to them after playing the demo and got the registered floppy in the mail. So oldschool!

Anyone played Catacombs 3D? What a drag...

Or better yet, Bram Stoker's Dracula!

EDIT: Almost forgot this odd one. It's called Raising Dead (the whole game is full of bad translations). For some reason someone reviewed it at SomethingAwful. Also I found an obscure download link.

(it was bad)

I never played Catacomb 3D, but I did play the Softdisk-made Catacomb Abyss. It was pretty fun, actually.

I remember Curse of the Catacomb. I was never able to get very far in it, but something about the colors and the art style always intrigued me at the time. Of course I was quite young, as we still had a 5 1/4" floppy drive. All those old games are now tucked safely away in the basement crawl space, never to be seen again..

jute said:

How were those ripped?

I believe there are tools that can read data from Playstation games. Kaiser may have even written his own tools given his experience with console data formats.

Snarboo said:

I believe there are tools that can read data from Playstation games. Kaiser may have even written his own tools given his experience with console data formats.

PSicture can open most Playstation image formats and extract data from them. That's how I was able to use the font from Epidemic in WWHC-Diaz.

Krispavera said:

Vid

Is this the game you're talking about?

Yep, and i must say that's possibly the crappest control system i've ever seen. At least the MD version used the D pad so moving was a lot more intuitive. It had even less draw distance, though, and some of the architecture was just as "is that a doorway or a pillar?" confusing.

leileilol said:

One real crappy obscure one that's STILL not mentioned yet is Island Peril, released in 1995, in which you are slippery, shoot doom muzzleflashed' guns at big tough guys and nerds; get ammo from dispensers with a babe talking on the screen, and fight fat island natives. I don't have ingame footage though, but I do have the funny intro.

I've obliged the lack of gameplay footage with a whole review video:

WildWeasel said:

I've obliged the lack of gameplay footage with a whole review video:
[ohgod]_wLf98goHCI[/ohgod]

Some of those wall textures don't look half bad, actually. Everything else ducks. :P

That was so awesome.

Did anyone else see the first enemy and wonder what The Hoff from Baywatch was doing in a videogame?

Oh dick, I hope you're coming <3

I can believe that Redneck Rampage hasn't been included yet. I played a demo of that game on an old CD from some pc games magazine, and it was the most obscure thing I'd ever played. It seemed to have lifted the Duke 3D shamelessly too lol.