Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aldiboronti

Heavy weapons dudes, longer range than Doomguy?

This drives me crazy. Say there's a Heavy Weapons Dude some distance away. You peer around the corner and he instantly opens up with his chain gun, giving you some damage.

You line him up in the sights of your chain gun and open fire.

AND HE'S OUT OF RANGE!

You have him perfectly lined up and hes taking no damage at all. How is this possible? You're both supposed to be using the same weapon, if you're in his range then he surely must be in yours?

What gives?

aldiboronti said:

This drives me crazy. Say there's a Heavy Weapons Dude some distance away. You peer around the corner and he instantly opens up with his chain gun, giving you some damage.

You line him up in the sights of your chain gun and open fire.

AND HE'S OUT OF RANGE!

You have him perfectly lined up and hes taking no damage at all. How is this possible? You're both supposed to be using the same weapon, if you're in his range then he surely must be in yours?

What gives?

Both weapons use the same type of hitscan trace (BulletPuff), so both would have the same range limit, 2048 units. You missed.

I've noticed auto aim has a range limit, but monsters apparently don't. That's what you're seeing. If you have auto-aim off and free-look on you should be able to hit him.

When you say open fire, do you mean spray and pray? Or aim carefully and chaingun snipe?

I'm pretty sure what armouredblood said is the most likely diagnosis. As a non-freelooker myself, I've notice quite certainly that chaingun guys at a different height level than you have no problem targeting you while your autoaim fails to detect him from that far away.

But at a distance so far away it shouldn't be too hard to find something to hide behind.

What everyone else said, plus he's firing a lot more projectiles per shot than you - each of his shots delivers the same number of pellets as one shotgun blast. This compensates for his frankly appalling aim.

kaplanator said:

What everyone else said, plus he's firing a lot more projectiles per shot than you - each of his shots delivers the same number of pellets as one shotgun blast. This compensates for his frankly appalling aim.

Um, no? Chaingun guys only fire one bullet per shot - they do have a slightly higher firing rate (by 1 tic), but you're probably thinking of the Spider Mastermind...

Indeed, all hitscan attacks have a range of 2048 unit's.

Bad guy attacks are always aimed toward the player no matter their distance. However the player’s autoaim range is only 1024 unit's.

Then bad guy hitscanners are 10% less accurate than the player.

Vermil said:

Bad guy attacks are always aimed toward the player no matter their distance.

Towards their target at least. They can be infighting, or (in ports that support MBF, Hexen or Strife features) friendly.

The issue is simply that the computer obviously know what each monster is targeting, but can only try to guess at what the player is targeting. The guesses aren't always lucky (especially when the player is using a rocket launcher...) and the player may sometimes be firing without even a target (to activate a gun-triggered linedef, or to watch the weapon's animation, or to look at the port's decal feature, or because a cat jumped on the keyboard and stepped on the CTRL key, etc.).

I've also always found it unfair that their chaingun sounds a helluva lot cooler than your own. They should've switched them off and gave the heavy weapons dude the pistol firing sound instead.

No biggie, just my 2 cents.

DSPISTOL from perkristian's high quality soundfx, with a subwoofer that makes the chaingun sound like thunder. Seriously, I'm always running out of bullets now.