Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Maes

Eco-train

As far as ecology goes, this bad boy here pretty much stomps on Mother Earth's and Mother Nature's colons, after turning them inside out and rinsing them clean with pure, undiluted heavy diesel enemas.

I don't recon you'd survive if you were on top of one of those cars while going through the tunnel.

edit: did you count the cars?

Err nope, my train watching sk11lz are still weak :-p

The locomotive count was WTF though: 6 total, 3 in the front and 3 at the back. Imagine being an engineer at the back ... hope they get issued gas masks by the train company!

train's long enough it's pretty dissipated by the time the rear engine reaches where the front engine was billowing.

Hellbent said:

train's long enough it's pretty dissipated by the time the rear engine reaches where the front engine was billowing.

Inside the tunnel, too? :-p

I tried to count the cars, they should be in the 50-something range (those tank cars at the end got me confused). Even in an open, well ventilated space those locomotives musn't be very pretty to work aboard, though.

When trains were first invented and train lines were first laid down in the 19th century, one argument that was made against them was that the sight of a train would be shocking enough to cause pregnant women to miscarry. I think I now understand that sentiment.

One step forward, then the past brings us 3 steps back.

Well, get ready to see a Fallout 3 atmosphere in the near future. I'm stocking up on clean water now :D.

Visplane Overflow said:

It's pretty arrogant to think humans alone could destroy the environment.

I think enough well-placed nuclear bombs would do the trick.

Coal-powered trains of the olden days laugh in the general direction of this one.

exp(x) said:

I think enough well-placed nuclear bombs would do the trick.

Or just fuckloads of nukes shot simultaneously.

Anyways... the plants seem to be green and not dead...

fraggle said:

the sight of a train would be shocking enough to cause pregnant women to miscarry.

The same argument was made against Mikey Mouse, if I recall, on the grounds that a mouse would be a disgusting enough character to freak out pregnant women (later on Nazi Germany of course propagandized the fact that the USA self-identified with a "dirty parasite" as proof of their "tainted Jewish degeneration").

Danarchy said:

Coal-powered trains of the olden days laugh in the general direction of this one.

Generally speaking yeah, but I had never seen a diesel train smoke as much as this one before (and we do have mostly diesel trains over here). Not even a ship, for that matter. Dunno if it's because of poor maintenance or heavy fuel though. Surely a coal powered train smells much better than this one, though.

I reckon there were 43 cars but those tanks were confusing. At least half of those cars were bigger than what a single road-going truck would normally haul. I wonder how much smoke 50 trucks would produce and how it would look if forced through half a dozen small exhaust ports?

But, yeah, that's one dirty old train. It must stink.

Is it just me or does the train-wheel clicking noise produce an extremely catchy tune? If it's just me I apologize.

To the person who posted above me: wtf is the Blair Witch Project?

Breadrobber said:

wtf is the Blair Witch Project?

Have you been living in a cave?

I was going to answer, but you should figure out how to use Google sometime.

Well first off I'm 14 so I might not have heard of that, and second I wanted to hear what the guy with the funny title had to say about it.

14!? Good lord, man. You're younger than the game we talk about here. Anyway, you would have been about 4 when it came out. It was pretty huge when it did. Basically it's just a very overrated horror movie about kids lost in the woods.

I turned 15 a week and a half ago and i know what the Blair witch project was. If you don't know then idk what to tell you man...

Danarchy said:

Basically it's just a very overrated horror movie about kids lost in the woods.

Yup.

Yay, we have a doomworlder who is younger than Doom! Wondered when that would happen.

Anyway i counted 45 wagons, or maybe less. The cylindrical tank wagons got me too.

Which means those locomotives must be pretty crappy. Or else they have to haul up mountains. I was at university in Lincoln, which has a train track running right through the middle of it so i'd often see frieght trains of 25 cylindrical liquid-carrying wagons (dunno what was in them but it was flammable, probably oil or petrol) pulled by only one locomotive. But though it was a diesel it didn't smoke nearly as much (only a whitish puff when very first setting off) so the engine must have seen a spanner and an oil change this side of 1980. Also Lincolnshire is very flat and the trains can't have gone far because they went through the town virtually every day.

I counted 40. And I counted each of the barrels at the end as one.

Visplane Overflow said:

It's pretty arrogant to think humans alone could destroy the environment.

How about educating yourself before making stupid statements like that.

deathbringer said:

Which means those locomotives must be pretty crappy. Or else they have to haul up mountains

That, and being Russian they are probably mazut powered Soviet-era remnants.

kristus said:

How about educating yourself before making stupid statements like that.

Visplane Overflow said:

How about educating yourself before making stupid statements like that?