Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
peterPROSTHETICS

Circular Rooms in Doom Builder 2?

What would be the best technique in making circular rooms (or the closest thing to circular)in Doom Builder 2.

I just need some help cause I am new to DooM mapping....

Thanks

Well in Doom Builder 1, you could CTRL-Right Click to create a sector with as many vertices as you needed on it. I haven't been able to find that feature in DB2, so I guess you'll have to resort to drawing a sector in the shape of a circle. It's just a matter of measurement, not very hard. The lines show their length as you draw them.

Making decent maps is going to take "forever" anyway, unless you're some kind of Oblige AI from the future.

What i do is make the room square, then in the middle of each line just make a vertex and pull it out. Do this with all the lines, make sure they are even. Then repeat with each of those lines, etc.

If you look at the circular parts in doom, you can see they aren't circles at all, just octagons and what not.

DB2 has a curve line function in the top right corner. It'll take a little trial and error to figure out how to get it to curve how you want but is a blessing when you get it right :)

Otherwise there are some line lengths that when put in the right angles will make a rough circle. Finding those can be kind of hard, but can make copy/pasting generic pillars easier. Usually going 2 units up then 4 over, then 3 units up and 3 over, then 4 units up and 2 over, then 4 straight up, and so on, will give good results.

ArmouredBlood said:

DB2 has a curve line function in the top right corner. It'll take a little trial and error to figure out how to get it to curve how you want but is a blessing when you get it right :)

Son of a bitch i just spent an hour making circles for a nice piece of architecture then i decide to check this thread and whaddaya know.

pretty cool though.

I prefer making my curved lines along the grid. Using the curve lines feature seems too artificial to me.

Mostly I make my lines with 3x, 6x or 12x/13x, etc... lenght lines. Kinda like 2^x, I guess. :P

16 lenght lines is also good for smooth curves imho, specially if it is not a corner.

On a kinda-related note, is there an easy way to draw rectangular sectors without going into draw mode? I just switched from SLADE to DB2 and the lack of this is driving me mad.

arrrgh said:

On a kinda-related note, is there an easy way to draw rectangular sectors without going into draw mode? I just switched from SLADE to DB2 and the lack of this is driving me mad.

Nope, I guess it is one of the features that SLADE have that DB2 doesn't.