Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckReconMajor

Risen3D: No red flash when taking damage.

Using Risen3D v2.2.04
    Using Risen3D v2.2.04 standard model pack
For whatever reason, when I take damage, I don't get the usual red flash. I tried disabling the models and that didn't help. I've looked through the options and config file and couldn't find anything. Anyone else having this problem?

The "red flash" was actually removed in version 2.2.03. I wasn't aware of it at the time. In any event this has been replaced with particles. If running in basic doom mode this will remove the particles. So not a bug just a change in the code.

Basic doom mode? Does that mean without the models?

edit: never mind, found it.

P.S. The particles are okay, but I keep dying because the red flash is what lets me know to look at my health. Now my health can go from 100 to 14 without me knowing it.

hawkwind said:
In any event this has been replaced with particles. If running in basic doom mode this will remove the particles. So not a bug just a change in the code.

A change in the code can be a bug at the same time :p

I mean, if basic Doom mode is going to be of any use, it should use the usual red glare or else the player damage effect is broken. Particles can be used instead in the default mode.

If the devs missed the effect of removing the glare option altogether on the basic mode, they'll probably consider the current situation a bug too.

To be honest, this is a really, *really* stupid change. The red screen blend is an integral part of Doom and removing that will probably confuse a lot of players.

Ironically, I dont remember any red glare in GZDoom :p\

EDIT: So I just tested it, and its there but its so small I never notice it. I'm pretty sure it was much more noticable in the original? Or is my memory failing me.

You've quite the faulty memory then.

responsedit: It doesn't seem to be as opaque, but I never had problems telling when I was getting shot to pieces.

DuckReconMajor said:

It doesn't seem to be as opaque.

I know. I had to cap the maximum opacity so that it wouldn't become a real distraction.

:(

wait, what do you mean by "distraction"? like, does something with the engine distraction? or a "switching weapons makes me stop shooting" distraction?

Yeah, I understand that. I think we were all referring to classic Doom, where you can get the screen fully red in some fights. Right aftyer my post, I tested GZDoom, then Ultimate Doom on the Xbox just to make sure my memory wasnt messed up, I got blinded by red.

I pretty much adjusted to GZDoom's version a long time ago, so I dont have a problem with it, especially with the new filtering system that makes the status bar look good again fullsize, thanks for that btw.

This is just to let all know that the "red flash" has been reinstated in the upcoming service release. It will be an option to have it either on or reduced intensity.

Graf Zahl said:

The game doesn't play well if you can't see anything... ;)

I think it would be interesting if blinding redness could be forced by a wad's MAPINFO or a deathmatch server's flags. Being blinded by taking excessive damage is a sensible gameplay element and could possibly add something to the dm experience.