Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMAD

Sky textures from photos

So I got bored and started messing about with one of my holiday photos and figured it would make a half decent Doom sky texture. Feel free to use 'em if you want:

And a hellish version:

The limited palette seems to hurt this one a bit, so I kept a higher res full colour version if anyone wants to use that in a port with hi-res texture support.

Might make some more later.

Where was the original photo taken, just outta interest?

[edit] I mean photos, heh. That last post of yours got in before I finished.

The photos are from the Okanagan Valley in B.C. Canada. Some gorgeous scenery there.

It is stuff like this that makes me feel like kicking myself for not made a site for resources like this yet. :/

But I am sure I will get one made sometime, probably this year or next year I hope so. :P

I was just thinking about going out to take some photos of scenery for use as sky textures. Do these tile well horizontally?

40oz said:

I was just thinking about going out to take some photos of scenery for use as sky textures. Do these tile well horizontally?

Yeah, they do.

These are great. Bookmarked.

I hate it when the sky looks beautiful and I don't have my camera with me. (I never have my camera with me.)

P.S. Did you edit any of them to make them tile or were they just lucky shots?

They're edited, it's very rare to take a photo that tiles seamlessly. Back when I used to make skies with terrain generating software, I used to edit them manually in Paint, which took age. Luckily now, I've got PSP8 which has an image tiling effect that does most of the hard work for you.

ArmouredBlood said:

Nice pics. This gives me some ideas, if only I was good with cameras >.<

You don't have to be good with cameras these days, the digital ones are pretty clever. The pic in the first post was taken from a moving bus, through a tinted window, without me even looking at the screen and it still looks good.