Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadrobber

Hardest...

It's probably been posted many times before, but let's refresh the topic: What, in your opinion, is the hardest level, toughest monster, or most daunting wad you have ever faced?

Hardest level: Plutonia level 32: Go 2 It by Team TNT.
Hardest monster: Revenants or Archviles. Archies are hard, but not very common; however, Revenants will sometimes be thrown at you en mass.
Hardest wad: Nuts.wad of course.

DuckReconMajor said:

This is the hardest I've played.

Link is dead, though. *shakes fist at Speedyshare*

Huh, I have that one somewhere ... *looks in wads folders* yarr I got it. Will post it if people are interested, although I think phml's recent map is harder, not to mention Insane_gazebo's initial sunder offerings.

EDIT: after a second look at the thread, I was playing in HMP? looked again and although it felt like the same monster placement, maybe something was different ... in anycase it's still hard to get past that first arch-vile -.-

Hardest level: Hell Revealed MAP24: "Post Mortem". At least, it's the hardest I've played. It doesn't help that you start in a little square, that you consistently have to type idmus to get rid of the tasteless music, and that you can't save in basic Doom.

Hardest monster: on Doom 1 fast mode, it's the Demon and the Spectre. Doom 2 may have the Archvile; otherwise it's still the hasted Demon or Spectre.

Hardest wad: uhh, NUTS3.WAD? Monsters galore and lag galore and more importantly, in comparison to its predecessors, nowhere to hide.

I avoid playing maps such as nuts.wad, I also hate the style of Hell Revealed MAP22 or Alien Vendetta MAP26 (much ammo, much health, many monsters, not particularly good-looking maps). The hardest I played (and never finished): maps 20 and 30 of Eternal Doom. Not because of monsters, of course.

hardest level: possible AV.wad MAP25/26.

hardest monster: definitely revenant and arch-vile. all the other monsters are easy to dodge in most situations, but the revenant and arch-vile are both hard to dodge in any situation. plus the arch-viles ability to resurrect monsters and it's very low pain chance makes it diffucult to cancel it's attack on you.

hardest wad: depends on what you want hard to be. if you want hard as in "impossible" hard then its nuts.wad and its sequels. if you want hard as in "a challenge, but completable" hard then its Av and the hell revealed wads.

EDIT: whats with the word censor on a word that isnt even remotely swearing?

EDIT 2: okay, thanks. tis fixed now.

Breadrobber said...
Hardest level: Plutonia level 32: Go 2 It by Team TNT.

This and it is my favorite level too.

Hardest Monster: Revenants for sure. They are not hard in small numbers but some people really like to spam you with them. Their homing rockets can really be a pain too.

Hardest Wad: Scythe 2. Especially the later levels.

Not sure about hardest level, probably anything that's practically impossible. :P Go 2 It is pretty easy, its difficulty comes only from its intimidation factor for less experienced players. And that same holds true for a lot of (but not all) HR-esque maps in general.

Hardest monster, depending on monster placement, has got to be either arch-vile, chaingunner or cyberdemon. But seriously though, when properly used all Doom monsters can be pretty dangerous.

heh @ Smedley, the hardest part in it for me was finding all those eye-switches. :( The fights were manageable with saving, but damn I hated those switches.

The hardest levels: bbb and ccc by I don’t remember who.
The hardest WAD: I don’t know, I play them on HNTR.
The hardest monster: The afrit.

Hardest level : No Chance, by Death-Destiny.
Hardest monster : the lost soul. Seriously. I'm just bad at avoiding these little suckers.
Hardest wad (as in, multiple levels ?) : Sunder, by Insane_Gazebo.

arrrgh said:

It censors bad spelling. Definitely, not defin_ately.

Perhaps they should make it more obvious, like with Something Awful replacing the misspelled word with "I AM TOO STUPID TO SPELL 'DEFINITELY' CORRECTLY."

For hard monsters, Eriance's Hellsmith is the absolute champion. Eriance boasted about it killing something like 20 Cybers, and yes, you are supposed to defeat it. Without God mode.

Phml said:
Hardest monster : the lost soul. Seriously. I'm just bad at avoiding these little suckers.[/B]

The SSG is your friend. I wouldn't say they're hard, just annoying as fuck, especially in Doom 1 where the SSG is not available.

ducon said:

The hardest monster: The afrit.

If we're mentioning custom monsters, then I have to mention the sausagequatch from DO-TIMS. An enemy with an SSG is bad enough, but an enemy with a repeating SSG is even worse; never mind that each pellet only does 1 damage, they add up very quickly. Not to mention they attack with almost no startup delay, they don't go down so easily, and they're common enemies.

Damn you, Deathz0r.

Hardest level: Eaxt map 02 from a pistol start.
Hardest monster: Depends on the situation, but i would say archies behind a pack of monsters are the hardest.
Hardest wad: AV

ducon said:

The hardest levels: bbb and ccc by I don’t remember who.

this. 'hardest' in a completely different way is rjsloth11. actually, that map pushes rocket jumping to it's limits and if your nick isn't timeofdeath, you won't finish it. well, most probably you won't get from the start platform. hardest monster is imo the plasma marine due to his unpredictability.

This question can be answered quite simply: Anything made my Huy "Doom Marine" Pham.

Hardest level: There was this one detailed short map dedicated to being hard... it was very BSTONE based but damn-- it was hard.

Hardest monster: Cyberdemon... slip up once and you're gone. The archvile is nasty w/ no cover.

Hardest wad: Same was as the first line.

Regarding the NUTS series: people tend to assume that merely because a level is blanketed in enough monsters to clog your CPU that it has to be impossible. There was a time when I certainly would have agreed, but what's interesting is that the most famous levels of this sort are actually still designed to be beatable (or at least they are beatable by random luck). This is something I've discovered thanks to the modern state of GlBoom+, which actually brings these levels to an acceptable framerate on most computers.

Think Nuts.wad is impossible? Check out the Doomed SDA page. Think Nuts3.wad is impossible? Check out my demo. :) If my unskilled self can stumble into the exit then it's quite doable. In fact, despite the 12,000+ monsters of Nuts3.wad, a MAX run is possible - I have found routes that work and MAX'ed the level (with saves).

Go 2 It is also more intimidating than difficult. I remember being terrified of it, but forced myself to beat it without saving, and I soon did, even when I was a young keyboarder. I was extremely cautious, though. I remember watching max demos of that level and being amazed that anyone could dodge all that mancubus fire. Instead, I spent most of my time behind corners, waiting for infighting to run its course.