Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darkman 4

The regular Shotgun sucks

It can't hit shit past extreme close range, it's firing animations make it seem that it'll fly out of your guy's hand at any moment, and it's spread is so bad that a point-blank shot on an Imp might not kill it. I dumped the POS once I got past Mars City Administration and used the Machine Gun and Grenades until I got better weapons.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that never used the regular Shotgun after I got the Super Shotgun in ROE. The SSG felt like what the Shotgun was supposed to be; a badass killing machine that can tear apart weak and medium enemies in a shot or two.

The doom 3 shotgun is indeed and unworthy successor to Doom and Doom II's legendary tools of arse kickery in more ways then in power;
The thing that really bugs my about the shotgun, and in fact, almost all of doom 3 weapons is the fruity space gun designs. They Goddamn look like toys.

What they should have just model Doom 3s' guns on real world guns with a few tweaks to make them look just a tiny bit more futuristic. People whine that the Spaz 12 is overused, but I'd take it over most sci-fi shotguns in %90 of modern FPS anyday.

You do realize that DOOM and DOOM 2's weapons were actually literally based on toys ID bought? So this is one aspect where DOOM 3 is faithful to the original :P

The problem isn't with the shotgun, the problem is that all the weaker monsters had their health buffed up, because it's no longer in style to make zombies with 1/5 of your base health with no armor or health bonuses, and imps with 3/5. The shotgun itself isn't actually that weak.

Spleen said:
You do realize that DOOM and DOOM 2's weapons were actually literally based on toys ID bought? So this is one aspect where DOOM 3 is faithful to the original :P

Good point.

I had no problem with it. Regardless of spread, I always go for point blank in most games for max damage, including Doom 1 and 2. I usually use the chainsaw exclusively for several levels so I can collect enough shells to use the shotgun for the rest of the game.

I think the developpers reversed the player and enemy shotgun spreads. The shotgun z-sec monsters are as accurate as the Doom 1&2 player (5 degrees), while Doom 3 Guy's Shotgun suffers the classic monster inaccuracy (22.5 degrees). Probably they did this to make the player feel unsafe and weaker. At least it doesn't destroy the balance: the tunnels are short enough not to make the inaccuracy an issue, and they are also winded enough not to make the z-sec a nemesis (at least NOT on nightmare).

EDIT: As far (and as little, but the game is short anyway) as I've played RoE, the Super Shotgun wasn't MUCH better than the 1-barrel variant. It merely did double damage (or a bit more), but at the same inaccuracy. It often happened not to succeed in killing a Vulgar in one hit. Thankfully the Grabber was effective, at no energy consumption at all!

I like the shotgun, but then i dodge back behind the nearest corner and get´em at point blank range. And if there´s more than one z-sec or whatever, just switch to another weapon...fast!

ID may have decided on the relatively poor accuracy and wide spread, to compensate for, or level out the difference between the (skilled/seasoned) DooM3-player and the pretty brain-rotted, forward stumbling monsters.

But then, what do i know..?!

(edited a bit)

I found the shotgun very good...like most of the weapons in Doom3 you have to maximize their potential for whatever your facing...I have my configurations set up to maximize the use of every weapon in a given situation.

I found the shotgun had a quick firing punch sorta feel to it. The supershotgun was a killin machine don't get me wrong, but the shotgun makes up for itself in speed. Shotgun is useful for taking out weaker monsters like zombies that don't need 20 pellets (some of which wont even hit the weak monster) hittin them all at once. Shotgun will get the job done and save ya a little bit of ammo too.

I'm rather pleased with the shotgun. If you dont feel like scrolling to the chainsaw for ambushing zombies, just shoot them once or twice with the shotgun and they're a quickly-evaporating bone-and-organ structure. It's also true that as DOOM 3 was designed with horror shooters in mind, lesser monsters are more of a threat than in the original, which means boosted health. That is why they are never found en mass.

Actually, in the original DOOM the regular shotgun sucked. It had so much spread that you had to be nearly point-blank to kill an imp with one shot, and couldn't even touch the effeciency of the SSG(which fires about 3x as many pellets, albeit with spread on the y-axis) or MG (which has much less spread at long range).

The Doom shotgun has so little spread, it's a sniping weapon, and the damage is random, allowing me to get one hit kills on imps from a great distance.

The damage is random, but very few times will you get a one hit kill from a range on an imp. Sometimes it takes two hits to kill an imp from short range. The chaingun is a better sniping weapon because each bullet has a chance to hit the enemy, instead of just the 2 or 3 in the middle of the shot, so once you have the SSG and chaingun, there is not much use for the single shotty. In DOOM 3 the shotgun is still useful on imps, zombies, maggots etc. because it gets pretty good damage at even medium range and doesn't run through as much ammo on small enemies as the machinegun does.

Breadrobber said:

once you have the SSG and chaingun, there is not much use for the single shotty.

Heh, I was just saying the other day that I thought people like you didn't exist anymore.

Anyway, have fun wasting two shells on a shotgun guy when you're all out of bullets.

Krispavera said:

Well if it's a shotgun guy, you'll get those 2 shells back, and two more.

You're gonna need that shell when 30 revenants come out and you've only got enough to kill 29.

Breadrobber said:

Call me that if you will, but I rarely find the need for the single-barrel shotty in classic DOOM.

You appear to be forgetting that this is the Doom 3 section of the forum, not the Classic Doom section.