Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iAmCodeMonkey666

forum style change

Hey!

I just registered here, I chose "posthell" as my style choice. Well, I did not realize that there would be this annoying music in the background, and I would like to change it back to the default Doomworld style please.

Thanks,

CodeMonkey

I didnt even know we could change our layout, unless this is some sort of abstract joke. Probably not... w/e... ill be back with info.

I think you can only do that on sign up, hence why the noobs are the ones that do it. I don't see an option in the user control panel for it.

It's probably something like the moron questions to keep dumber undesirables out. Which isn't good news for op =/

Although I do kind of like the posthell music in small doses.
/fears for ears when mods read this.

I guess the forum signup function is inspired by Hexen. You know, those parts where you make the wrong choice and step on a floor that disappears underneath you and you fall to your death.

In b4 post hell and since when can you do that on signup? I didn't get the choice =( Although actually I wouldn't have chosen it anyways because I had already seen the post hell page. I hate that music so much! And the flames at the bottom are annoying as hell.

[Insert Witty 'In b4 posthell remark here']

Yeah I can't find it, holy hell (no pun intended) that must be annoying.

Breadrobber said:

I hate that music so much! And the flames at the bottom are annoying as hell.

Yeah, it sounds like a bunch of cats, pigs and hyenas dancing in a Jungle-Book like medium, totally NOT doomy. It feels like the smell of bad food cooking in the kitchen, and just creepy. I always turn off the speakers when there and hope that the fire returns.

Why does esselfortium have to get so much credit for such a random experiment...?

Technician said:

ADMINS, GET ON THAT!

That, and allow unregistered fellows to use the search. That you search for information doesn't imply you're going to post, so there's no sense in asking the user to register before searching.

Same goes for checking a user's account. If one's banned, one may not know an admin's email, so he/she may need to look up others' accounts.

Finally, the avatar option screen is broken! I have no access to the middle pages, so about half of the stock avatars are inaccesible! Was it done on purpose, so people come up with their own asap? But half of the avatars are lost...

Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.5
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.

Current vBulletin version, at the time of this post, is 3.8.4. Forum hasn't been updated in a looong while. Gripes like options inaccessible or broken avatar galleries can be explained easily.

Search, on the other hand, is a resource-intensive feature. Restricting it to registered users allows to cut down a lot on the CPU usage that would be requested otherwise by anonymous searchers. You can always use google with site:doomworld.com if you want to search without registering.

Amazing forum choice! As us and the staff currently have realized, the music and sounds are quite an annoyance. With your formal request to change these settings we shall have to undertake a massive overhaul of the system in order to make changes to current forum layout settings. This will probably take close to the time it will take for hell to freeze over. Since hell is still readily burning away, the chances of you getting a change are on the side of nil. But please, enjoy your stay at the Doomworld Forums!

printz said:

Finally, the avatar option screen is broken! I have no access to the middle pages, so about half of the stock avatars are inaccesible! Was it done on purpose, so people come up with their own asap? But half of the avatars are lost...

At the avatar screen, click the >> arrows. Now change the 12 at the end of the URL to a 1, 2, 3, or 4.

Gez said:

Current vBulletin version, at the time of this post, is 3.8.4. Forum hasn't been updated in a looong while.

Because vBulletin has been awful ever since version 3.

I did try pushing for the 2.2.9 update years ago, but apparently we had too much custom coding to bother.

At any rate, software doesn't wear down over time or break with age. The forum works as good as it ever did. The avatar trouble we had for so long was because telefragged did something to mySQL that changed a syntax that the uploads depended on. I don't know why new members are suddenly ending up with the Post Hell theme over the last few months, but it should be as simple as disabling the theme selection option from the registration page. Even vb3 can have a theme selection option at registration if more than 1 theme is available, so updating software versions would hardly be a "fix."

Lüt said:

At any rate, software doesn't wear down over time or break with age.

Depends on the software... Windows 95/98 IMX did just that, notably through the frailty of its registry system.

Nomad said:

I chuckled about the successful crack part. Why do publishers bother with DRM? It clearly is a pointless waste of money.

1. Pointy-Haired Boss syndrome: it is clearly a thoroughly bad idea for anyone who knows the terrain. This category excludes the decision-makers.
2. Perverse incentive: unreasonable copy protection systems allows to convince, by their outrageousness, that the problem of software piracy requires extreme measures. This lets them obtain absurd laws in their favor and whine for subsidies.

Lüt said:

At any rate, software doesn't wear down over time or break with age.

While I was near completion of my graduation thesis, I recall another student taking up a thesis on "Software rejuvenation", aka various techniques to counter the acknowledged phenomenon of Software aging.

I didn't follow through with his work, but most of what he spent his time on, at least during the research phase, was starting and stopping applications continuously, allocating and freeing massive amounts of resources repeatedly etc. until things broke down and then trying to see why/how.

Gez said:

Search, on the other hand, is a resource-intensive feature. Restricting it to registered users allows to cut down a lot on the CPU usage that would be requested otherwise by anonymous searchers. You can always use google with site:doomworld.com if you want to search without registering.

And this solution is useless to all but the technical/unlazy unless it's integrated into the site. Posting it in a FAQ is a nice idea but nobody reads them. It would be a good feature for forum software.