Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
traversd

Lock player position temporarily? (Using Boom compat flags) [Solved]

Hi All,

I'm working through some ideas for a boom compatible map. At one point I kind want to freeze the players movement (cut scene like) while a voodoo script enacts changes to the map in front of the player.

Any tricks to make this happen?

Thanks,
Travers

You could perhaps put transparent (invisible in this case) doors around the player. There's no real way to freeze a player in Boom.

The closest I can think of is to silently teleport the player into a cage surrounded by a "glass" wall (a low ceiling with missing upper textures).

Hmm, consider that many of us love DOOM the more because it doesn't freeze us and force us to go through a cut scene or the like :p

Just make the changes nearby and in sight while the player is active doing something else.

Ahh sweet. A little digging through here --> http://www.legacywiki.net/index.php/Boom_floors and here --> http://www.legacywiki.net/index.php/Boom_property_transfer has resulted in me working out that you can turn a sectors friction on and off. I've got it working in a test map. Click a switch and your stuck until a voodoo scroller triggers the friction off again.

The player is never totally frozen but I set the friction linedef's length to 2 which is as close to stuck as you'll get I think. The player can look around but can't move anywhere really.

Cheers,
-travers

traversd said:

has resulted in me working out that you can turn a sectors friction on and off. I've got it working in a test map. Click a switch and your stuck until a voodoo scroller triggers the friction off again.

Heh nice solution!