Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gggmork

12 unfinished weird artish maps (in 1 wad)

Here's 12 unfinished maps of miscellaneous stuff.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/stuyz8
alternate links of same thing:
http://rapidshare.com/files/269650977/ggg12unfin.zip.html
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7DY9F00
Tested/works in prboomplus/zdoom (only map 3 has slower movement in zdoom some reason). Candles mark any walk over lines that trigger stuff. A few I already uploaded a longish time ago, some are new.

1. using simple unit 'pieces' (turn left, straight, 3-way) to compose a larger complex structure. More height variation would be cool but that can make skies produce glitchy visuals.

2. a fractal stair thing and exploding column (too bad the explosion's noise happens in the dummy sector so you can't hear it now).

3. the main interesting thing here is making fake horizontal sector movement (normal doom sector movement is only verticle). Some reason they move slow in zdoom, normal in prboom. Cool how they also appears to move in automap. Also some kinda interesting architecture where the floor doesn't share the same sector pattern as the ceiling (meaning both floor and ceiling had to have their patterns combined into a more complex pattern).

4. various walk over lines with complex actions (the red key textured thing is probably more complex than it looks keeping in mind its also fake horizontal movement, taking more than a hundred dummy action lines and was a headache to figure out. Could have been done much more efficiently if I was less retarded and made new textures in xwe or something). Also a huge switch (that doesn't do anything now), and a giant sand castle-ish thing.

5. just some visual stuff

6. walk over the line then wait to see it build. protip: walk over the blue sectors. (not finished like all these others, so you'd have to idclip if you fall in the sector that lowers). Also an idea to make a really long fake multi story spiral staircase. You get the idea but its obviously not set up perfectly now because its obvious that you're warping. You have to use textures that are really plain or you'll notice you're warping due to subtle floor texture changes.

7. one of the more interesting ones maybe with various unfinished experiments.

8. a big maze of complex stair architecture.

9. this is cool but it has glitches I gave up trying to fix. Uses a warping trick to make stairs appear to mutate. The warp lines are what seems to be glitching it, thinking they're part of the architecture. I guess you can't have a lone line passing over multiple sectors without glitches or something.

10. just messing around with copy/paste, not that great.

11. spiral stairs with light patterns

12. multiple slight tweaks on an attempted hollow face illusion (if its not obvious they watch you wherever you go, unless you go too far to the side and break the illusion). Some look slightly better than others.

I will check this out.

Also, doombuilder has 'save map into' function (Shift+f12) which allows you to merge maps pretty easily. I presume DB2 has a similar function, though I don't actually know.

I only have a couple more similar weird/complex/copy paste things that I'll maybe fuse into one wad using that 'save map into' feature.

Its fun to make weird complex stuff, but I kinda doubt I'd mold it into a real level because complexity forces levels to be very small (unless you want tons of sidedefs to clog up frame rate) and visual detail/etc doesn't tend to be great for gameplay anyway imo.

Ah! I thought your work looked familiar!

Yeah, I looked at your piece of art with the giant switch and the odd playfort. I really like stuff like this. It's sort of inspiring seeing components of a level all laid out in one huge box, like it's on display at an art show.

If you have more wads like this lying around, I'd love to see them. :)

I've tried taking doom screenshots before and they're all messed up with like 3 colors. A lot of the stuff is weird movement anyway that isn't represented in a still screen. If anyone else feels like it they can post screenshots (or can use any of the stuff in these maps for their own maps or something if desired, not implying that anyone would want to though).

These are neat, would like to see more of this type of stuff. The fractal stair thing was neat to look at.

Heh, yeah, its the only one I threw random enemies in I think. I'm in prboom or zdoom and press 'print scrn', then paste in microsoft paint. Anyone know why it looks like this, or am I doing it wrong? .. and why doesn't my image show in the forum like the one above (just a link).. not that I can ever create a successful youtube link either..
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8932/deletex.png

Try running in windowed mode, then paste the screenshot into Paint and cut out the Doom.

The cool thing about this method is if you put it in the resolution you want, you don't even have to resize the screenshot.

Image URL's go between [img][/img] tags.

For YouTube videos, take the video ID and put it between [yt][/yt] tags.

There's a key within ZDoom to automatically save a screenshot, you know.

Will you be uploading this to idgames?

These are pretty cool! I've never really bothered to do experimental stuff like this before, but I've had some ideas for a machinema series that some of these might offer pretty good inspiration for... I especially liked the warpy staircase. That freaked me out!

COOL :)
I remember most of these but a couple I haven't seen before. I thought map07 was the most epic. I take screenshots with prboom-plus - press print screen and a bmp file shows up in your prboom-plus folder (if not, use the search function, search for pictures created on the date you made them), then save them as jpg files with paint shop pro.

If you added all of your gameplay maps to this you'd probably have around a full megawad, eh?

SCREENSHOTS - MAP01 - MAP02 - MAP03 - MAP04 - MAP05 - MAP06 - MAP07 - MAP08 - MAP09 - MAP10 - MAP11 - MAP12

Thanks, I did 2 pics successfully using the 'prboom in window mode' (edited 1st post). Maybe I have other bmps floating around somewhere but didn't notice one in my prboom folder.
Print screen is pretty creepy actually when you consider there could be a rootkit or botnet or something on your computer sending your screen info to anyone.
Nothing is finished so not sure if it'd be right for idgames but I don't care if it goes on there (though it might be updated later.. or not). I guess I could make a megawad with my more gameplay-oriented maps, but I might not ever even finish these complex maps (then I'd have to re figure out how to change demos to a new map number too).

You have way too much time on your hands :) and an amazing amount of patience!

I loved the caves in MAP07, and the flesh ocean next to it is mesmerising to watch! MAP11 is impressive, with all the moving red white and blue in circles it looks like something I'd expect to see in Dark Forces.

Some of these are very Giger-esque. The structures at the top of MAP05 made me think of all the dicks going into vaginas he likes drawing, the curved faces in MAP12 remind me of his art too.

And the sandcastle was awesome fun :D

Changing the complevel 2 and 9 demos should be easy enough, I don't know about the zdoom demos though but I assume it'd be similar?

By the way, I remember another map you did - it was a square gray room with a caco in it? and a crap load of sectors moved up and down. I think you made it around the time you made the mutating stairs?

I thoroughly jizzed my pants on each level. The shear amount of patience required to just do this all for the hell of it is quite impressive. My favorite would have to be the spiral staircase on MAP05. Also, the trippy snake tunnel on MAP07 was quite epic as well.

I do believe you're gifted, in a way.

By the way, what are your terms regarding use of these levels/concepts in our own projects? I don't immediately see anything that could be directly worked into a serious wad, but there are some really nice ideas that you've presented to us here. :)

I definitely think you should compile these and your other maps into a megawad and submit it to idgames. These are really incredible and should be preserved!

What ever happened to your old 'voodoo doll boolean switch' thing, earthquake? I wonder if I could figure out a more line-efficient way to do that since I've done more of this type of stuff since then (maybe not).

Glad people like these weird things I made. In response to 'terms regarding use', just 'public domain' = feel free to do anything with any of it if anyone happens to want to.

Oh, the little relay switch for the Boom Pong circuitry? Yeah, I gave up on that project a while back. I found that the behavior was different between PrBoom, Odamex, and ZDaemon, so I just decided to move on. Plus it was very ambitious and complex, and the display screen would have a maximum framerate of like 4 per second. :P

The idea was that I would basically write a program using "analogue" mechanisms in the map to not only move the ball and paddles but display it on a low resolution screen in the game (by toggling pixels dark or light). Theoretically it's possible, but heh...

I agree with jute; you should create a single-map wad (if at all possible) with your works on showcase, much like a museum or gallery of sorts.

That would be awesome. I tried thinking (unsuccessfully) how that could work, especially logic like 'if ball hits wall, reflect off of it', but danny hillis coded some tinkertoys and rubber bands to play tic tac toe so I guess its possible. The screen could be easy probably, either flat on the floor or raised like a wall (with multiple rows of stacked really thin sectors as pixels).

The main problem expanding on these maps (or combining them into 1) is when they get to about 25,000 sidedefs then suddenly doombuilder takes like 4 times longer to load and they start getting low frame rates and stuff. Most are already near that max probably.

kyka's 'meaculpa' maps 1 & 3 have nearly 50,000 sidedefs though and run fine for me, maybe just because the lines can't all be seen at once while playing.

gggmork said:

That would be awesome. I tried thinking (unsuccessfully) how that could work, especially logic like 'if ball hits wall, reflect off of it', but danny hillis coded some tinkertoys and rubber bands to play tic tac toe so I guess its possible. The screen could be easy probably, either flat on the floor or raised like a wall (with multiple rows of stacked really thin sectors as pixels).

The main problem expanding on these maps (or combining them into 1) is when they get to about 25,000 sidedefs then suddenly doombuilder takes like 4 times longer to load and they start getting low frame rates and stuff. Most are already near that max probably.

kyka's 'meaculpa' maps 1 & 3 have nearly 50,000 sidedefs though and run fine for me, maybe just because the lines can't all be seen at once while playing.

Yeah, that's pretty much all he has done. Also, I've found as long as the linedef's are actually really short, doom seems to fun fine - it's only when you try creating detail on a huge scale (lots of really long lines, instead of lots of short ones), that issues really begin to occur in terms of performance. (I could be wrong about this, though.)

Still, some of your detailing techniques in these experiments are really interesting, and remind me of a whole series I did attempting to make an extremely large demonic gate/mouth structure, which I've given up on for the time being.

I'll admit I'm surprised you haven't made a completely working map, knowing what you know - but I guess you have more fun experimenting? :)

Also, using that feature that allows one to create floors that rise up and down, almost like waves, I wonder if someone could create a demonic 'ocean', of sorts, using the skin textures, and that feature? It's certainly an idea I've had, but because it's not a default Doom/Doom2 tag, isn't something I've played with...

I love this stuff. Every structure feels charged with purpose, despite being isolated visual nonsense. Maybe I'm confusing "purpose" with "an aura of OCD".