Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Obscure Sprite-Based FPS Games

Redneck Rampage probably wasn't mentioned because it's actually pretty well known, especially because it's one of the many games that use the BUILD engine (along with Duke3D, Shadow Warrior, Blood, etc.).

AgentSpork said:

Redneck Rampage probably wasn't mentioned because it's actually pretty well known

This. Actually I had the full version of Redneck Rampage and RR2 before I had the full version of Doom or Duke3d. Despite the silliness, they're pretty fun games and have pretty decent level design.

Unfortunately one of Interplay's last good franchises before Herve Caen took over and ruined everything.

Just finished playing it yesterday as part of testing how well DosBox fares on my new comp, and while being shorter than what I remembered it to be it was still fun, despite being far from Blood or SW in terms of quality.

Maps like Smelting Plant and Uranium Mines are some of the best Build games can offer and I was particularly impressed by the texturing work done throughout the game.

Vixens titty chainguns are even more overkill than DN3D Battlelords :P

I always preferred Blood to all the Build engine games. Hate to say it but I just can't like Shadow Warrior no matter how hard I try. I just find it so boring and uninspired compared to Duke3d or Blood.

Yeah, Blood is definitely the best Build engine game, but I like all of the major build titles.

Bad Toys 3D.

When I was little, my friend's mother was so religious that she even thought this game was too violent. Oh and that means I've played this. The version I remember was black and white though.

cybdmn said:

Are you sure about that? I know one, named Lethal Tender, which came on one 3.5" and two 5.25" disks in the same package. There was a sequel too, named Terminal Terror. My Lethal thender unfortunately misses the 3.5" disk, and i never get managed to get Terminal Terror until now.

Both used the pie in the sky engine, a very poor wolf3d clone, but it was used in many budget shooters back then, i would love to add to my collection.

Yea, you're right. It was lethal tender. It was absolute dog shit though

Demon Hunter said:

Heh, I actually own that game, you're right about the wild box art though.

Wow, that looks like crap for a 1995 game, technically and otherwise.

Aliotroph? said:

Wow, that looks like crap for a 1995 game, technically and otherwise.

I agree.

I found it on Home Of The Underdogs with a 3.0\10 rating.

I played it up to Episode 2 Level 8 and got lost, and then the game crashed rofl.

And then I promptly deleted it from my had drive lmao.

What about the Warhammer 40k: Space Hulk games?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk:_Vengeance_of_the_Blood_Angels

They where alright. The RTS elements where pretty cool and the graphics where good.The only problems where the over all repetitive game play and some of the ports where way better then others. If you want to play a War40k fps Space Hulk:VOTBA is the way to go. Just be sure to avoid the game Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior.

Krispavera said:

Bad Toys 3D.

When I was little, my friend's mother was so religious that she even thought this game was too violent. Oh and that means I've played this. The version I remember was black and white though.

That game actually had a few nudie posters on some of the walls. I have the shareware which is retard long.

Has anyone mentioned these titles? I found an old shareware compilation disk.

Avenger
Burnt Toast
Castaway
H.U.R.L.
La Cosa Nostra
Wrath of Earth

Satyr000 said:

What about the Warhammer 40k: Space Hulk games?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Hulk:_Vengeance_of_the_Blood_Angels

They where alright. The RTS elements where pretty cool and the graphics where good.The only problems where the over all repetitive game play and some of the ports where way better then others. If you want to play a War40k fps Space Hulk:VOTBA is the way to go. Just be sure to avoid the game Warhammer 40k: Fire Warrior.

I remember playing the first one on my Amiga 500 back in the 90's, but I won't categorize them as FPS.

Hmm, this entire thread has gone by and not a soul has mentioned Radix: Beyond the Void yet. How strange... though yeah, I suppose that definitely qualifies it as obscure.

Still fun as hell, though. It's basically Doom with robots and missiles and you fly in a spaceship. Tons of explosions, too. Interestingly, a level editor for it exists, though any levels that have ever been made for it have either been lost in time or left unfinished on a certain Xaser's hard drive.

Satyr000 said:

If you want to play a War40k fps Space Hulk:VOTBA is the way to go.

Yeah I played this one, rented it back on PSX with a buddy. Even then the graphics were shit and it certainly hasn't gotten any better. I remember it running like ass too. This is one FPS I'm not missing.

Use3D said:

Yeah I played this one, rented it back on PSX with a buddy. Even then the graphics were shit and it certainly hasn't gotten any better. I remember it running like ass too. This is one FPS I'm not missing.

The psx version was the worst of the bunch. The 3do version was better and the pc version was the best. The 3do had better frame rate and way faster load times then the psx version of the game. I can see why people would call it more of a rts then a fps. The first Space Hulk was more on the strategy side then fps. The 2nd was more of a fps.

I don't know if it had been mentionned here but Powerslave was quite good.
The PSX version looked better though (I played the demo countless times).

Powerslave was called Exhumed in the UK, perhaps something to do with the Iron Maiden album Powerslave, which was also ancient egyptian themed?

I used to play a demo of it quite a lot, but i don't remember much about it other than swimming around. In fact i don't even remember anything about the weapons or enemies.

I think my brother rented it once, and i discovered that the camels, mere "exits" in the demo, were actually used for hub-like travel.

K!r4 said:

I don't know if it had been mentionned here but Powerslave was quite good.
The PSX version looked better though (I played the demo countless times).

The Saturn version is the best. Also Robotica, which was the first FPS released on Saturn. It's dark and slow but randomly generated the levels and has some interesting weapons. I just popped this in recently and gave it a run.

deathbringer said:

Powerslave was called Exhumed in the UK, perhaps something to do with the Iron Maiden album Powerslave, which was also ancient egyptian themed?

It was also called Exhumed here in France (and perhaps in the whole of Europe). The japanese version was called 'Seireki 1999: Pharaoh no Fukkatsu'.
I guess the original title was explicitely a reference to Iron Maiden.

@Use3D: Well it seems that Powerslave had a true 3D world on Saturn, where the PC version was on an old version of the Build engine, if I trust the Wikipedia page.

Xaser said:

Interestingly, a level editor for it exists, though any levels that have ever been made for it have either been lost in time or left unfinished on a certain Xaser's hard drive.

DO WANT

You forgot to mention the awesome music it had.

K!r4 said:

@Use3D: Well it seems that Powerslave had a true 3D world on Saturn, where the PC version was on an old version of the Build engine, if I trust the Wikipedia page.

It certainly does. I own all of Lobotomy's first person games and they're great, however I like Powerslave the best since it's their original work, whereas some textures and levels from Duke3d and Quake didn't translate well to the Slavedriver engine...A minor gripe really, since both games are still sweet. The new secret levels in Quake for example are awesome.

@Belial: Interestingly, I actually have a copy of the editor mirrored on my 'site' for some reason, and I can't remember why. Here's the link anyway.

It's very primitive -- imagine DEU only even more limited (you have to assign lines to sectors by hand) -- but it works. I *think* I included a copy of the documentation in the .zip as well, but I'm not sure. I'll post a link in a sec if I forgot it somehow.

[EDIT] Zip's good -- the doc is there as radcad.txt. Also forgot to mention something the documentation leaves out: the editor expects the game to be in the directory "C:\Radix" (hooray old software) and is a Windows application, not DOS like the game itself. Let me know if you have any trouble getting it running.

Belial said:

You forgot to mention the awesome music it had.

Silly me -- how could I forget? I've always loved those tracks. I was elated to find them as a download at Mirsoft (link here), and they're well worth a grab. A friend of mine did some .MID versions of a few of the tracks that you can nab on VGMusic (near the bottom of the page), if anyone's interested.

Rebel Moon Rising looks like it uses the Doom 64 engine or something similar. It obviously DOESN'T but if you showed it to me a few years ago and said it was on the N64 I wouldn't argue with you.

LAZOR CHARGED

Hard to take that game seriously. I didn't mind some of the music though, and the dynamic lights look good for that type of engine/level.