Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom64Marine

3d moving floor

At least in GZdoom, the only chance that you could have is a a whole bunch of instant raising and lowering sectors. I imagine it could be done, but you would need a huge number of dummy sectors. The result is not worthy of the effort, in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply, i figured somthing like this would be a little, complex. would somthing like a 3d floor and moving polyobj be possible?

if polyobjects were allowed to not go floor to ceiling, had the ability to carry the player, and somehow copy over the gzdoom 3dfloor thingy... basically it is a sliding door but what we want here is a sliding 3d floor.

Doom64Marine said:

would somthing like a 3d floor and moving polyobj be possible?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: A GZdoom 3d floor is a dummy sector, while a polyobject lives on the void. There is no way, as far as i know, that the two of them are compatible.

Is it possible in EDGE? I have no idea myself, all i know is that it supports Extrafloors (3D floors). Worth checking out maybe.

Could you use a polyobject to move the dummy sector around? Call the polyobject railing. It probably wouldn't work for some (aka most) situations, but might be useful for some.

CeeJay said:

Is it possible in EDGE? I have no idea myself, all i know is that it supports Extrafloors (3D floors). Worth checking out maybe.

Nope. The best chance would be with Vavoom. But I doubt it.

I remember a legacy map with a door that was made up of 4 3d floors that dropped in to the floor. You could check that out if your super curious.

Also, would a 3d model scripted to move up and down work? I mean I have heard that Jdoom and GZdoom are able to have 3d models in their ports... so why not make them able to move?

Also if you are really desperate you could just make a THING and craft it to look like some sort of lift and jerry rig that to move up and down.

wellyou could sit there swear at your computer start shaking the desk it's on snap the keyboard in half push the monitor off the desk then pick up the tower and throw it half way across the room or you could just say fuck it that always works out in any situations

CeeJay said:

Is it possible in EDGE?

I think it could be done in EDGE 1.31 using an MD2 model for the platform, with the MOVE_FWD or MOVE_RIGHT ddf actions to make it move, and using RIDE_FRICTION=1 to push the player when standing on the platform.

It is the sort of thing DOOM engine are bad at, but Quake engines are good at.

ArmouredBlood said:

Could you use a polyobject to move the dummy sector around?

Interesting idea. While we know, that you can't "move the dummy sector around", as it is as static as everything else within the limitation of Doom's bsp, I notice that the polyobject's line properties include the dummy sector's floor and ceiling height check. Having a polyobject consisting of a bunch of 2s-lines with mid-textures (just like those fake 3d floors), we can at least move a pedestal around which can look like a floating platform.
Here is a GZdoom test wad I made: http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=lhvdr0jbyw
The usual limitations of polyobjects remains, of course.
Those are:
- If you try standing on it while it moves, it pushes you away.
- Line rendering order on polyobjects was not designed for 2s-lines, which results in glitches in software renderer. It works fine in GZdoom, though.

In Vavoom you can make 3d floor elevators by using the move floor and ceiling special in the dummy sector, this will make the 3d floor move up and down.

Firebrand_kh said:

In Vavoom you can make 3d floor elevators by using the move floor and ceiling special in the dummy sector, this will make the 3d floor move up and down.

Moving up and down wasn't the problem, it is quite simple and GZDoom supports it as well. The issue is moving left and right, forward and backward...

LogicDeLuxe said:

Interesting idea. While we know, that you can't "move the dummy sector around", as it is as static as everything else within the limitation of Doom's bsp, I notice that the polyobject's line properties include the dummy sector's floor and ceiling height check. Having a polyobject consisting of a bunch of 2s-lines with mid-textures (just like those fake 3d floors), we can at least move a pedestal around which can look like a floating platform.

That's a good test map! Never thought on that myself, maybe some workaround could be done if handled properly to change the physics in specific cases to make this work, but it would need rough testing IMO.

You could create a 3D model and make it move via some scripting

Firebrand_kh said:

That's a good test map!

It gets even better. I just figured out that the extra floor property is transferred to the polyobject as well. Now, it is a real platform which you can walk under and over! The rendering of the extra floor is limited to the dummy sector, though, so those cross beams are still necessary.

And the same polyobject limitations still apply, ie. it can bounce/crush you even if you stand under it since polyobjects have no height check. Maybe such a height check is one thing which could be added to the engine, just like it was done with monster's melee attacks.

Grab my updated test wad here: http://www.rapidspread.com/file.jsp?id=krhyvfbmtj

Nice job. For detailing I'd add some sort of superstructure so it makes sense why it pushes you out of the way, and add some rails it moves along. Also what is the maximum delay time?

Over the course of the Doomsday 1.9.0 beta series we have been reimplementing the polyobject sub-system so that now, polyobjects are treated more like objects (i.e., things) than fragments of world geometry. One of the features we are intending once complete is a system whereby a polyobject's visual representation can be substituted using models. Various properties/values would be inherited from the physical polyobject and applied to the visual representation (e.g., rotation angle) while polyobject actions (such as stop, reverse etc) could be tied to model animations.