Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quake Warrior

Rotating Bridge?

Hi, I was wondering if its possible for me to make a rotating bridge using ZDoom(Doom in Hexen Format) or any kind of format. I want to try to make it behave like a rotating door would in game.

I tried using PolyObjs with it but nothing happened. Someone please respond and thanks for helping out.

Polyobjects are 1-sided lines; nothing but void exists "inside" them.

While it is somewhat possible to make polyobject structures using 2-sided lines (in ZDoom and Eternity, at least...I'm not sure whether vanilla Hexen would be happy about it), the ability to do so is extremely limited, they don't have floors or ceilings (as polyobjects can't move subsectors with them, they're just supposed to be lines), and standing on one while it's moving will not behave as you'd expect it to: rather than carrying you, it flings you away as if you were standing in the path of a moving polyobj door. In addition to that, it's incredibly difficult to make them in a way that causes the lines to draw in the correct order to not have weird glitchy-looking overlaps.

I don't know anything about Hexen/ZDoom mapping, but I do recall playing a fairly good looking ZDoom map which used rotating sectors as fans on the floor/roof. Perhaps the method that map used could provide a clue.

I'll go and have a look through my PWAD folders and see if I can find it.
Edit: No luck. From what I remember it was very techbasey and included slopes, flowing slime, bullet-blocking windows and large outdoor areas. Maybe someone will remember what I'm talking about.

A way to do it veeeery jerkily or very system intense would be to use instant raise/lower triggers with a voodoo doll or script. using slices of a circle they trigger such that the leading side of the bridge raises the next slice and the trailing side lowers, with a voodoo doll you make 2 long corridors with voodoo dolls, one will raise and the other lower sectors. You can even make the bridge permanently loop by having teleport lines at the end so that when the bridge is back in the origin, it starts again. Boom teleport-to-line-tag triggers would work particularly well to keep the raising/lowering even when starting again. Depending on the size of the slices there could be problems ... I haven't actually tried this yet, and from messing with gggmork's 'random ideas' maps, they slowed down pretty bad. I'd suggest somewhere around 16 units on the outside edge.

Hmm. RTC-3057 has some overhead fans right near the beginning of the game, in MAP04 I think it is; the hallway right near the jail. I looked at it and am not immediately sure how it's done, but I'm sure one of the pros can look at it and see if that method is relevant to the OP

My guess is that's done by changing the heights of several ceiling sectors to give the illusion of a single, moving sector.

esselfortium said:

In addition to that, it's incredibly difficult to make them in a way that causes the lines to draw in the correct order to not have weird glitchy-looking overlaps.

It's actually really easy if you put your mind too it. Combined with portals they can be used to make perfectly smooth 2 blade fans. As you said, a rotating bridge could be done, but the player can't be on it while it rotates.

Blzut: I know; I've done it (though not for a fan...personally I'd prefer to still use sectors with visibly solid ceilings for that). One of my Vapor maps has some sliding glass double-doors :D

Thanks for the suggestions and information guys. I basically want to know if its possible to make a rotating bridge and I was wondering if some of you could send me a link to a wad that has a Rotating fan, so that I could be able to use the information it has so I could be able to use that to possibly make a rotating bridge.

Quake Warrior said:

Thanks for the suggestions and information guys. I basically want to know if its possible to make a rotating bridge and I was wondering if some of you could send me a link to a wad that has a Rotating fan, so that I could be able to use the information it has so I could be able to use that to possibly make a rotating bridge.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=13024

Map 29.