Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraboy94

"single sector" project

is this a good idea?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. is this a good idea?

• yeah, sounds great!
    • sounds interesting, ill check up on it sometimes.
    • not interested.
    • sounds horrible.

i have an idea for a project- probably not a megawad, maybe around 10-15 levels.

if you want to make a map for this project, post here or PM me and i can reserve you a slot.

you can have as many linedefs, things, scripts (either use doom 2 format or zdoom/skulltag format) and monsters as you want. the only restriction is the sector count. as the project name implies, you can only have one sector in the entire map!

the project's main idea is to show how well a map can be done with only one sector. so things like doors and lifts are out of the question, and probably teleports as well.

i will make a map or 2 as well, and hopefully post it/them here soon.

information will be edited into this post whenever i can.

happy mapping!

Ugh, I would rather see the 10 sectors idea back, that was a nice contest and I wish I would have been here at dw when it was active.

Edited: heh, oh yeah it was 10 sectors :P

You could have 1 teleport in Doom format and as many as you like in ZDoom, because they're tagged to a destination Thing and not a sector. 1 sector would mean a very flat (and likely boring) map though.

Also, what are the rules on custom textures?

DooMAD said:

1 sector would mean a very flat (and likely boring) map though.

And that's where this project already fails. Without sectors you can't do anything in Doom except a randomly shaped area with absolutely no interactivity. It's a stupid idea.

I have to agree that this is rather pointless. The 2 sector wad pushes what is possible with minimal means.

Also if everything is the same sector as soon as you shoot all the monsters (apart from the deaf ones) will get activated and start running around, which would pretty much fuck up the pacing as well.

Mr. Chris said:

Doesn't the engine need at least two sectors to build nodes?

Yeah I think so. Doombuilder1/2 requires at least two sectors before allowing 3d mode to be initiated. Honestly, it's a bad idea. Perhaps either 5 or 10 sectors project would be good?

DooMAD said:

Also, what are the rules on custom textures?

custom textures are allowed, as long as they are in the wad and you give credit to whoever made them.

it seems the only way to make the map remotely interesting is to use zdoom format. there is more you can do with just one sector than you'd think at first. you just have to use some imagination.

sure, the levels may not look as good as most do, but the gameplay can still be there. its the challenge of making the gameplay work with one sector.

also levels will be designed with singleplayer in mind.

Joshy said:

Yeah I think so. Doombuilder1/2 requires at least two sectors before allowing 3d mode to be initiated. Honestly, it's a bad idea. Perhaps either 5 or 10 sectors project would be good?

im using DB2 and i can enter 3d mode fine.

Actually, let me correct myself. IIRC, DB2 does not build the nodes before entering 3D mode. One sector may be interesting to see how the limitations can encourage creativity, but it wouldn't be fun at all.

In DB2 you can view your level in 3d mode on the fly without any node building. This is why you can undo structural changes in 3d mode and actually see the changes yourself. This project is impossible.

I agree with Graf, empty flat maps with no triggered interactivity would be boring.

The 10 sector maps are impressive feats. 7 or 5 sound like an interesting concept. 1/2 not so much.

Mr. Chris said:

Doesn't the engine need at least two sectors to build nodes?

No, a single sector is OK so long as at least one node is created, which means the sector has to be an irregular shape (not convex). A square or hexagon would fail, but an L-shaped area would work.

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/singlesector.zip

here is a short map to show what can be done with a single sector.
yeah, its flat, and yeah, theres no real "doors", but its a fully playable doom map.

okay. there IS a second sector in the map, but it has no purpose in gameplay at all and is completely detached from the level. the only reason it is there is so the game does not slow to a crawl building nodes as it goes, as the nodes are there. essentially, there is still only one sector in the map.

requires skulltag as i used textures from it's wad, also uses zdoom features.

screenshots:

I'm pretty sure that you could do a maze as long as you drew it out beforehand or something.

I have a thought: you may be able to make a monster teleporter using a single sector. Build the usual room off to the side connected by a narrow passage so that sound can travel through. Set the monster flags to deaf and use an ACS to unset the deaf flag when the player crosses a line. How about those apples?

You don't need stuff to be connected at all as long as they are the same sector number. The sector with the monsters in can be on the other side of anything and not be physically connected. They will still hear you.

But removing the deaf flag with a script would work for pacing and such. Looks like one would really need to use an advanced port to make this any fun.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

Lame. Seven sectors is a good idea. This is not. Not nearly enough interactivity to be considered a full-fledged and fun Doom map. I can guarantee you most of the maps submitted for this - if any - would all be set to 128 ceiling and 0 floor. There's just no point.

Flat doesn't always mean boring. Also, you can put monsters in the same spot (stuck together) to act as temporary walls to stop other monsters from roaming everywhere.

Ultraboy94 said:

so things like doors and lifts are out of the question

Polyobject doors should be possible, given you can manage to get the subsectors around them right.

Graf Zahl said:

Without sectors you can't do anything in Doom except a randomly shaped area with absolutely no interactivity.

Since scripts are allowed, interactivity is still possible with objects in many ways.

Erik said:

1 sector... hello wolf3d, without doors...

More like Rise of the Triad: We have floor textures, fading light levels, things you can walk on.
And to keep it from being flat, you can use those fake 3d bridges with crossbeam mid-textures.

There's quite a bit you could do with one sector, though like LogicDeluxe said it'd end up being more like Rise of The Triad than anything else, with lots of line fences/walls, decorative things blocking paths, moving walls, and thing bridges/steps/whatever.

I've semi-faithfully recreated Rise of the Triad MAP01 in ZDoom, and while I didn't go through and make it so that only 1 sector total was used, I'm sure if I tried I could get it down to only one sector.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Juiche said:

everywhere will be same floor and ceiling height. Not good idea.

<-- sectors = 1

Come on, people. Gameplay-wise? Yeah, this is a horrible idea. But that doesn't mean it isn't a chance to really shine with creativity.

I'm not so much for doing this as a playable mapset as I am for releasing it as a "tech demo".

By the way, you dudes that say vertical doors are impossible likely haven't tried to actually construct one without using sectors... It is possible. Literally, no, but with a little trickery...

You can do a lot with 2-sided linedefs, things and scripts.

boris said:

Do 1 sector maps actually run in anything but ZDoom derivates?

In that case you could be allowed to put another sector in the void to satisfy any requirements like that. (eg. WA can't nodebuild without 2+ sectors)

Creaphis said:

From that:

But, considering the lack of interest in NewDoom's latest contest, I figured that it's time to show it to the world.

Was that when we did the 16 sectors contest? That one was a total disappointment. I think there were a grand total of four entries into it.

Hm. That contest had something to do with transforming bad Doom fanfiction into Doom levels. To the best of my knowledge nothing came of it.

Ohhh! I totally forgot about that one! Illdo put together a brilliant rendition of Repercussions of Evil, I remember that much. But I think his ended up being the only entry. I should try to track that down.