Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Breadrobber

Scariest DOOM experience

My first scarriest moment is when I was 5 (2 years after Doom as made, an that I was born 1991), it was when I saw the Baron and the Pinky/Specter... But then looking back, I find it funny, cause they are my favorite infighters.

i dont get scared much by doom.

only place where i was scared for a while was that "computer maze" in E1M2 (with that shoot-wall with the chainsaw room behind it.)

oh, and if you count PWADS.... any time i encounter the yurei in GF3.

arrrgh said:

E2M6 gave me the willies when I first played it.

My Doom related nightmares always took place in this level.

DuckReconMajor said:

Okay. Anyway, I was frightened when I saw the Cacodemon and Cyberdemon for the first time.

Heh, I watched my dad play DOOM before I ever played it, so I'd seen all the monsters by the time I was playing the game. Also, until my motor skills were much more developed, I never started up the game without "iddqd" and "idkfa."

E1M5 scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. The music had a lot to do with it I think. There was a moment in I believe it's E3M7, Limbo, in the room with the grey metal alcoves there's one point where you can just see the giant horns and teeth sticking out from behind one and I was like what the FUCK is that? Turns out it's only a Caco but it looks fuckin scary from the side.
In Doom 3 every time I turn around and there's a zombie in my face I jump.
In TNT15 in the little dark secret passageway it's n arrow as hell and you run into a Rev that scared the hell out of me the first time. Then a few years later I was playing it and forgot he was there and it scared the hell out of me again.
Finally in Doom 64 I cannot remember the level, but at the end you're on a raised stone walkway with some hell knights and to get to the exit you have to raise a pillar which allows you to go across a gap into the exit area which is pitch black, and turning a corner you bump into a Baron. The Baron wake sound in D64 is VICIOUS if you're not prepared for it. I also think In the Void is freaky as hell, although not quite scary.

Playing E1M3 before discovering how to get into the secret with the soulsphere in it. I could hear the imps but because I couldn't find them I turned every corner and opened every door as if I were about to get my eyes scratched out by one...

=/ The god damn maze in E1M2. I still can't memorize the layout.

And of course, after the game was first released and I couldn't turn fast enough, any time I got attacked from behind. Of course now I just curse them out for bum rushing me.

Map29 freaked me out yesterday.
I heard a noise I never heard before (Had a sound wad on though) and turned around to see a pain elemental in my face lol.

The game itself doesn't really scare me that much (except for the occasional random monster in my face), but for a while I would always be worried that an imp would be behind a door, hiding next to the bed, etc. The most strange part is I was expecting them to have the same pixely look from Doom.

Use3D said:

You damn brats get off my lawn.

QFT. You're not old school if you haven't grown up with 8-bit computers!

<falls over while shaking zimmer frame in a vaguely threatening manner>

Abyssalstudios1 said:

I take offense to that. I'm part of the current teen gamer generation, and myself and a few close friends enjoy doom very much.

Agreed, just because the game came out before someone was born doesn't mean that person can't find it fun (I personally can't stand any new games anyway) . Most of the games I own came out before I was born, so maybe I'm just an "oddity" in a generation of mostly ding dongs and dipshits.

As for the original topic, I've had many scary times in Doom, but one that really sticks out in my mind would be the first time I played E2M7. I opened up the blue door to find a demon right in my face that proceeded to chew my head off. I flew a mile from my computer monitor after that.

I really don't get scared much by doom now, but as a child lost souls scared me silly. I remember the first time I found them, I started screaming. I also remember having nightmeres about them. Their attack noice just creeped me out. Anytime I got meleed from the back also scared me.

New scariest Doom experience: Yesterday I was playing doom on my laptop, when suddenly the screen flickered and up popped the Blue Screen of Death! Doom gave me BSoD.

Krispavera said:

New scariest Doom experience: Yesterday I was playing doom on my laptop, when suddenly the screen flickered and up popped the Blue Screen of Death! Doom gave me BSoD.

Sorry to say, you got a crap laptop or a horribly virus filled laptop, either way, your laptop sucks.

Mithral_Demon said:

Sorry to say, you got a crap laptop or a horribly virus filled laptop, either way, your laptop sucks.

Nope, I resolved the issue. Apparently the latest windows update was causing some x64 based systems running Vista to get 0x0000007E stop errors within 10 minutes of being logged on. All of those symptoms were true for me, and the problem has since gone away.

Krispavera said:

Nope, I resolved the issue. Apparently the latest windows update was causing some x64 based systems running Vista to get 0x0000007E stop errors within 10 minutes of being logged on. All of those symptoms were true for me, and the problem has since gone away.

That's definitely got to be a memory problem, as I got that same STOP error on one of my original 2 RAM sticks, getting replacements fixed everything.

Many many MANY moments of PSX Doom.
Fighting a cyberdemon in complete darkness with eerie shadows everywhere is what makes The Marshes the best level in the game. That and The Mansion, for its extremely dark and atmospheric feel that has me firing at nothing over and over.

First time I encountered a demon. First time playing E1M8. First time playing E2M8. The atmosphere of the game when played in 1993 was amazing, but not really scary. I was thirteen at the time, and was a big fan of slasher films. So a little pixelated gore and demonic images was actually very cool to me at the time (still is). I actually dislike newer games showing very realistic depictions of graphic violence. I'm not offended or anything, but it brings the simulation of actual killing that much closer to realism. I've never bothered about wanting to experience that.

Ragnor said:

Yeah the ambient music in that is just so full of win. I remember jumping like feck once when the phone rang while I was immersed in that.

For the original Doom then it has to be the first time I got to play it on a machine with a soundcard and heard the hiss of a Caco :)
The AliensTC got pretty damn tense too!

bimlanders said:

First time I encountered a demon.

Demons and bestiary Stone Imps, Satyrs can make one nervous, because they're quiet, often appear in the cramped dark, and once they reach you they'll hit on you endlessly.

Ragnor said:

Fighting a cyberdemon in complete darkness with eerie shadows everywhere is what makes The Marshes the best level in the game. That and The Mansion, for its extremely dark and atmospheric feel that has me firing at nothing over and over.

Yeah PSX Doom had some good moments; in fact I really should play it again, it's been a while. I'm much too spoiled to play Doom with a controller now though. I don't suppose anyone knows of a conversion? Or at least some decent builds of the maps that are unique to the PSX version?

Airman266 said:

Yeah PSX Doom had some good moments; in fact I really should play it again, it's been a while. I'm much too spoiled to play Doom with a controller now though. I don't suppose anyone knows of a conversion? Or at least some decent builds of the maps that are unique to the PSX version?

This may work.