Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Phobos moon base location

As we all know the first episode Knee Deep in the Dead was on Phobos, does anyone know where on the moon might the base be located? It certainly cannot be the Stickney Crater because the dimansions of that crater is about 9km (or 5.6mi) across), thus it has to be one of the smaller named crater areas on the surface and the entire area shown on the intermission map looks to be less than 2 miles across.

Thoughts on this?

I think you're looking into it too far. Neither Phobos not Deimos is a practical location for any sort of base. There is zero atmosphere and next to no gravity. You could probably stand on the surface, and literally jump off the moons.

So, that taken, I don't think the guys at Id really put that much thought into stuff like that. To them, Deimos and Phobos was just a starting point for the story. There isn't any realism taken into account, so I doubt anyone had an exact location as to where the moon bases were located.

But for shits and giggles, lets all get into a huge debate over where they take place ^_^

I'd say, looks most like the Reldresal crater.

eargosedown said:

But for shits and giggles, lets all get into a huge debate over where they take place ^_^

Assuming I have time tomorrow, I'll pull up over detailed (and paid for) maps of these moons and geek out for maybe half an hour, and then get back to you.

There's a nice twin crater pair on the north there that could have inspired the design of the intermission. I does have a smaller impact on one of them that doesn't show up in the intermission, but maybe it was filled in and something (the military base?) was built where it used to be :p

David_Dweedle said:

with that photo of phobos it makes me wonder if even a base IS possible on there... looks like its only the size of rhode island..

Until its orbit degrades enough that it crashes into Mars..

David_Dweedle said:

with that photo of phobos it makes me wonder if even a base IS possible on there... looks like its only the size of rhode island..

They get 5gigs on a CD, they can fit a military base on the moon of mars.

Until the gravity (or lack thereof) makes it float away :P

phobos' mean density is 1.887 g/cm³. to drill an underground complex there, you'd use your fists. the escape velocity is 35 km/h. i think that explains the absence of archviles in the phobos invasion.

David_Dweedle said:

If you don't mind cramming the locations in side-by-side - all of Episode 1 can be played out in 1/74 of a square mile (8.64 acres or 3.49 hectares). :P

EDIT - make that 2/37 of a square mile, 34.56 acres or 13.96 hectares.

EarthQuake said:

I think you're looking into it too far. Neither Phobos not Deimos is a practical location for any sort of base. There is zero atmosphere and next to no gravity. You could probably stand on the surface, and literally jump off the moons.

It was already stated in some article (probably some wiki article opr another, I am not sure), that the moons is not suitable for stuff like that because of earthquake said they have no atmosphere and almost no gravity.

David_Dweedle said:

Research Facility on Phobos and see what he has to say.

What about observatories?

DuckReconMajor said:

He'd probably tell you to bug Tom Hall.

If he even answers to such an asinine remark.

Hey, David, you know what else is physically impossible?
1. That the horizon on Phobos would look like the mountains depicted on the sky texture. (This goes double for Deimos.)
2. The energy weapons, plasma rifle (and by the way, I doubt it's rifled) and BFG9000. Especially the BFG9000's quirky tracers.
3. Pools of lava or radioactive slime that are perfectly safe as long as you don't touch them.
4. Liquid radioactive slime that remains on the ceiling (E1M8).
5. Teleporters.
6. Demons.
7. Demonic invasion via way of teleporters.

Gez said:

5. Teleporters.
6. Demons.

Oh this topic is going to get fun! It's been too long since we discussed if teleporters are possible!

Gez said:

Have you ever seen Prince of Darkness?

Gez said:

If he even answers to such an asinine remark.

1. That the horizon on Phobos would look like the mountains depicted on the sky texture. (This goes double for Deimos.)
2. The energy weapons, plasma rifle (and by the way, I doubt it's rifled) and BFG9000. Especially the BFG9000's quirky tracers.
3. Pools of lava or radioactive slime that are perfectly safe as long as you don't touch them.
5. Teleporters.
6. Demons.

Who has his email? I'll be the goon.

I've just had a brilliant idea which requires a volunteer - who wants to be the first Doomer in space? All we have to do is hijack one of Carmack's rockets, tie our volunteer to the nose-cone, point the rocket in the general direction of Phobos and light the touch-paper. With any luck, in 4-6 months time we'll have eyewitness reports of conditions on that rock - assuming their mobile phone battery hasn't died.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobos-Grunt
"...However, due to delays in MetNet development, the landers will not be ready for the 2009 launch date. In case the launch of Phobos-Grunt is delayed to 2011, MetNet will still be included."

the taxi is waiting and has two free spots!

dew said:

phobos' mean density is 1.887 g/cm³. to drill an underground complex there, you'd use your fists. the escape velocity is 35 km/h. i think that explains the absence of archviles in the phobos invasion.

It also probably explains how I can make another human explode with my bare hands.

David_Dweedle said:

Least Doom 3 is based on Mars surface.. thats physically possible

You're right. You should stop playing Doom altogether and stick to realistic games.

Use3D said:

You're right. You should stop playing Doom altogether and stick to realistic games.

A very good point!

I think I'll stick with a more realistic game... where did I put Halo 2 now...

Gez said:

Glass.

6. Demons.

Mutations caused by fury, selfishness or other "evil" ways of stress.

The UAC invented artificial gravity, and much like in Star Trek, it is the very last system to ever fail.

printz said:

Glass.

Wouldn't look like it does.

printz said:

Mutations caused by fury, selfishness or other "evil" ways of stress.

Very very lame, and still physically impossible.