340 "Slope the Floor in front of the line"
341 "Slope the Ceiling in front of the line"
342 "Slope the Floor+Ceiling in front of the line"
343 "Slope the Floor behind the line"
344 "Slope the Ceiling behind the line"
345 "Slope the Floor+Ceiling behind the line"
346 "Slope the Floor behind+Ceiling in front of the line"
347 "Slope the Floor in front+Ceiling behind the line"

Randy has also added some new things to affect slopes too, but I don't know how many, if any of these will work in non hexen mode as I think they require a Z coordinate to work. Setting Z coordinates is not possible in regular Zdoom mode.

BTW, I recommend getting into ZdoomHexen mode editing. It maybe takes a bit of getting used to, but it is far, far more flexible once you have it worked out. I find working in regular/boom enhanced mode very limiting these days.

I find working in regular/boom enhanced mode very limiting these days.

But far quicker, and perhaps more liberating. I can (and have) pulled together reasonably sized maps for DooM and DooM2 in under a week, whereas most ZDooM maps take me a month to do.

But far quicker, and perhaps more liberating.

Sortof:)

Straight DOOM mode is a tad faster for me. Probably 20% or so. I think this depends a lot on the editor one uses. (Just a comment people - don't get excited<g>)

DeePsea prefills the types with default values (OPT file controls - such as door speed, the actual key number, etc). Usually all you change is the tag. IOW, most of the time it's just one extra step compared to DOOM. If only everyone would run high resolution, it could be easier yet:) Need to play around and see, maybe it will fit or maybe just another alternate dialog.

Not sure what meant by liberating. Isn't the Hexen format more liberating in terms of letting you do more? E.g. I was able to add some things that are not possible in the other format.

Scripting can take a large amount of time - but you don't have to script<G>

Not sure what meant by liberating.

Liberating in terms of pure gameplay, and to some extent design. Working with ZDooM (which is pretty much the only source port I've done maps for) does indeed allow far greater options for gameplay and design. And that is precisely what can tend to bog down the map creation process. The original DooM & DooM2 are excellent for their simplicity in the gameplay and design departments. Don't get me wrong -- I love source ports, as evidenced by the number of projects I've undertaken for ZDooM. But I find myself trying to cram in as many additional features as I can. Working with the original DooM or DooM2 allows me to proceed in a very streamlined fashion, with little hindrance and practically no learning curve. I find that very liberating.

Oh, I see. Sort of the opposite type of view I have on what "liberating" means. Like the 1/2 full, 1/2 empty thing:)

I guess that goes back to me saying you don't have to script. OTOH, it's there for one to expand with later.

As I started out saying above, it's a different way of looking at it. You look on it as being a burden of sorts? (correct me if I'm wrong - typing/reading stuff is a bitch to get the idea of what the other guy means for sure).

I do understand (I think) what you mean. When one does a level, there's a natural concern for making it the best you can with the options at your disposal.

Guess for me, as a byproduct of the coding world, my view is different. There are so many things available (in coding) that I just pick and choose what I want to do for a purpose, do it and then move on. Level design is similar to me.

I guess I don't like the constraining "box" of stock DOOM at all. With the release of BOOM, it was the first time I could actually make a level in a manner fitting my thought processes.

So to me "liberating" means that my mind flows much easier and a level actually goes way faster. Only thing I don't like about Hexen mode is the extra step:) I remember one time I spent MORE time redoing and redoing and redoing sections to get rid of the visplanes errors than I did the level itself (stock DOOM).

You do a bang up job in the "unliberated" world though<G>

Thanks, Enjay. I'm doing the map with WadEd, so I can't add any Hexen format stuff. I'm gonna convert the map when it's complete, and maybe try to add some scripts and/or other ZDoom stuff...

I've converted to ZdoomHexen editing and i don't find myself working slower. Adding in a couple arguments after an action is really easy for me. Instead of selecting an option and thats that, I find it more free to select an option and enter a few arguments (which you should know after like a month of editing ZdoomHexen). It gives more freedom and is just as quick so I don't get the problem. I was like that once too, then I actually tried it for a little while and liked it way more than stock Doom.

i don't find myself working slower. Adding in a couple arguments after an action is really easy for me.

It's not the mechanics of ZDooM editing that I find cumbersome. The fact that ZDooM offers so many useful specials almost makes it obligatory to use them. A small example is the sector rotation special. In DooM or DooM2, if you had a window ledge that was angled (from the editing grid axis), and you used a flat such as SLIME14 the floor of the window ledge looked unnatural. With ZDooM it is possible to rotate the floor so that the flat is nicely aligned with the wall below, and looks natural. When you start paying attention to so many details the process starts to bog down. This is what I was talking about.

I was like that once too, then I actually tried it for a little while and liked it way more than stock Doom.

As a matter of fact I've been editing for ZDooM for about 2 years, and have completed 3 major ZDooM projects totaling 17 large levels. (I've almost completed a 4th project that consists of 5 levels.) So it's not a case of newbie frustration with ZDooM. I suppose it's more a case of rediscovering the simplicity of editing for vanilla DooM and DooM2. Don't get me wrong -- I don't intend to give up editing for ZDooM and take up DooM editing instead.

That message wasn't really intended towards you. I've known for some time that you've been editing Zdoom becuase I've played some of your projects. (and enjoyed them)

That message wasn't really intended towards you.

Ah, sorry. Slight misunderstanding there.

I've known for some time that you've been editing Zdoom becuase I've played some of your projects. (and enjoyed them)

Thank you, kindly.