Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sharessa

This Is How We Roll

Coopersville said:

I play D&D 3.5, but the current campaign has been on hiatus for the last month, due to my the DM moving out into the country, and it's a hassle to organise out there.

If you like D&D 3.5, I recommend checking out Pathfinder. It's basically 3.5, but they made the classes more fun and combat more streamlined, along with revamping the skills, feats, and spells. It's a more natural progression of the system unlike 4e where they threw out the old system and made an entirely new one.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

hardcore D&D player here. Also have the Doom Board game (and expansion) which I use the minis for D&D all the time (Cyberdemons make great Minotaurs). I also wrote down ideas and came up for some rules on a Doom RPG using the d20 system. It seemed pretty balanced but was never playtested.

I always wanted to get that board game. Looked like a lot of fun and was apparently kind of based off that old dungeon crawl board game from the 80s. Never did manage to snag myself a copy.

A d20 Doom RPG would be easy. Look no further than WotC's old d20 Modern/Future system. Really, you'd only need to stat out all the monsters. All the weapons (except the BFG and the hellspawn weapons from Doom 3) and many of the items are already in the books in one form or another.

DuckReconMajor said:

I thought he was talking about the Doom board game from this.

What is this I don't even

Anyway, I was actually kind of wondering if anyone would be interested in an online campaign at all.

Me and my brother designed our own war-based one years and years ago. But we had never even heard of Dungeons and Dragons, beyond the cartoon, let alone anything else. This meant it was very simplistic, basically an A2 sized map divided into squares, all the micro machines military toys we could dig up and a dice. The number you got determined how many squares you could move, and then if you were within range of somebody (each character or vehicle had weapons with different ranges) you could attack them.

It was roughly based on a series of comics i made about World War 3 in 2020, which was for some reason fought without nukes.

Super Jamie said:

I got some dice and had a couple of games of this. First game I got slaughtered by 3 Imps on my first encounter. Second game I am doing much better, I have a few weapons and am on MAP02.

It's quite difficult to last a long time, I would be dead if not for a Soulsphere in a secret, so I've added a small health pickup after every monster encounter. I'm thinking compusory Green Armor every 2nd or 3rd level would probably be a good idea too. I made some changes to the rules if anyone's interested:

Doom Single Player Pen and Paper RPG v0.2
http://www.sendspace.com/file/fylyhv (PDF 84kb)

Ok, how about for certain really powerful guns/powerups, you have to roll a pre-defined set of numbers? As in, oh I don't know, 666 for the BFG. Or something as simple as if you roll doubles then you'll get a soulsphere. Sorry if I'm giving ideas that already are rules, it's early and I'm leaving soon.

When it comes to numbers I'm a generally lucky guy, so I want to get some sort of benefit out of that (besides doing a little bit more damage). Also, have you set up 'random hazards' such as barrels and lava pits? I think I'd laugh if i rolled [insert significant number here] and winded up killing myself by shooting a barrel :P.

EDIT: After actually reading the text, I think you did one hell of a job. I still want to see the random hazards thing implemented somehow, unless it adds too many numbers of course :P. We should find someway to make this online playable with some sort of program. Otherwise, I think it would be kind of hard to find people dedicated enough to play.

Ninjalah said:

EDIT: After actually reading the text, I think you did one hell of a job. I still want to see the random hazards thing implemented somehow, unless it adds too many numbers of course :P. We should find someway to make this online playable with some sort of program. Otherwise, I think it would be kind of hard to find people dedicated enough to play.

I agree the BFG does need to be potentially more powerful, maybe 1d4*100 instead of 1d8*50, I'd have to fight a Cyberdemon to see. I actually think as-is, the boss monsters are probably undefeatable by a single player, they deal way too much damage. I like the idea of having the number 666 in there somewhere tho >:)

I've been trying to think of a way to implement Barrels. Maybe have them just implied as "there" in combat, and if a player or monster rolls a 1 in their To Hit/Dodge then they hit a barrel and suffer splash damage (1d8*10 /3). Rolling a 20 could be an intentional barrel frag and the target enemy takes full barrel/rocket damage (1x8*10), other enemies take 1/3rd splash damage.

The work is all there, it's potentially playable to MAP30 and beyond if the balance is right, which it probably isn't. I think compulsory weapon and armor pickups are probably required as one advances to later levels, it's entirely plausible to end up facing a Baron with just a pistol, which would kill you in this game.

I'm glad you like it tho :) And you're right about the computer play thing. Implementing the base rules in a curses-based roguelike would be trivial if I knew a programming language. I started to mess around with basic C stuff last week, perhaps I will continue that. Thanks for the comments, you have given me ideas!

You could create seperate tables for each map so that you won't end up facing a Baron on Map 01. This will also create another 30+ pages so I don't know.

And if you roll a 666 consecutively (as in the 6 can transfer over from die type to die type) you could get a Doomsphere or something. Or Iddqd for the rest of the map (or idclev [nextmap]). Hm... but how rare can 666 be? Maybe the whole Iddqd/idclev thing may be OP, Idk.

I am interested in this a great deal, seeing as I think I may have been the only person in my age group that i knew that actually was interested in D&D. Sucks I never actually got to play it >>.

Hey, maybe it is good enough to actually make it official eh?

Danarchy said:

I really like the setting for Runequest. I never actually played it, but I have been playing some King of Dragon Pass which is set in the same world. I'm actually kind of basing my next campaign world off of it.

The same friend and DM that made me play RuneQuest also made me play King of the Dragon pass, of course. It’s the same background than RuneQuest but the rules are different and we play real heroes, not ordinary people that may become heroes.

Yeah, I knew it was a different system (more like D&D generally speaking). I just really like the setting. It's not quite as high fantasy as many worlds are and it's not very Tolkienesque, which is kind of surprising these days. Also the extensive and prevalent mythology and the society (at least of the Orlanthi) that is based off of Anglo-Saxon/old Scandinavian society are both rather interesting.

Also, raising a herd of triceratops as war mounts to scare the crap out of your enemies in KoDP is f'ing amazing.

It's not an RPG but the only tabletop game I've played that involves a huge amount of die rolling is Warhammer. I really like the game but it has more rules than you and a friend could shake sticks at which is very overwhelming. I'd like to try other things like D&D but I have no one that would play with me.

@Super Jamie: That is a very nice set of rules. With a little expansion to it and maybe some figurines, it would make a kick ass tabletop game.

Danarchy said:

So is anyone else here into tabletop RPGs?

In related news, I just got the new Pathfinder rulebook. It's awesome.

Completely random post FTW.

Guess thats what "Everything Else" is for.

Danarchy said:

Also the extensive and prevalent mythology and the society (at least of the Orlanthi) that is based off of Anglo-Saxon/old Scandinavian society are both rather interesting.

The Invisible God looks like the christian god, Lunars look like Romans, there are people far East… it’s not a relativist patchwork like Torg but a well built world.

Played some D&D in HS, played some last semester and some RPs in the last few months. I'd also play munchkin or magic:the gathering if anyone I knew was still interested. So I've been left to RPGs, like I'm replaying golden sun sort of, and have a lot of tales of the abyss and tales of symphonia; dawn of rebirth left. And I restarted KotOR again.

So danarchy, I think you've got some interest now, how about getting around to 'starting that online group'? :P

ducon said:

The Invisible God looks like the christian god, Lunars look like Romans, there are people far East… it’s not a relativist patchwork like Torg but a well built world.

If I can get him to post here, or something, I know a fellow Doomer who has been working on a pantheon of gods for D&D that is based on the actual religions of the world, and it seems pretty interesting. Some may recognize him as Acylitor (formerly MasterofPuppets) from NewDoom and TeamHellSpawn.

To show my age......

I used to make my own version of Space Invaders, using a peg board, and a deck of cards (this was in 2'nd or 3'rd grade, way back in '81, '82). The inveaders and shields were close to their right color, and you started on the left. Every card you drew meant you moved that many spaces and shot. Get a 5, move 5 to the right, fire. face cards were of course, 10 spaces, but the ace was only a 1. When you reach the end of the playing field, the count continues in the opposite direction.
As the number of invaders decreased, the number of shots made versus invader advancement decreased, until it got to one invader advancement per move.
The outcome was more on the losing end, but close to a 50/50 split.

Quite advanced for a 9-10 year old. :)

Danarchy said:

I always wanted to get that board game. Looked like a lot of fun and was apparently kind of based off that old dungeon crawl board game from the 80s. Never did manage to snag myself a copy.

A d20 Doom RPG would be easy. Look no further than WotC's old d20 Modern/Future system. Really, you'd only need to stat out all the monsters. All the weapons (except the BFG and the hellspawn weapons from Doom 3) and many of the items are already in the books in one form or another.

It apparently has roots in some older board game called Space Hulk, never heard of it. The Board game is fun as hell but it does get quite repetitive just shooting and killing things (you might as well just play the video game) so I added in things like search and spot checks as well as saving throws for certain things.

Yeah I know all the rules in d20 Modern would be adequate but I'm too creative not to come up with my own set of rules although, having looked into it, most of it is similar.

ArmouredBlood said:

So danarchy, I think you've got some interest now, how about getting around to 'starting that online group'? :P

I'd love to, but don't have much experience on playing it online. I guess forums would work best, though I'd have to figure out how to set those up.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

It apparently has roots in some older board game called Space Hulk, never heard of it. The Board game is fun as hell but it does get quite repetitive just shooting and killing things (you might as well just play the video game) so I added in things like search and spot checks as well as saving throws for certain things.

Ah, Space Hulk. I never played that myself, but it's based in the Warhammer 40k universe. IIRC you play a group of space marines going through a space hulk killing genestealers. There was a PC verion of it in the early/mid 90s too.

Yeah I know all the rules in d20 Modern would be adequate but I'm too creative not to come up with my own set of rules although, having looked into it, most of it is similar.

Yeah, there's also the issue of the lame d20 modern base classes. A lot of people have problems with how generic and underpowered they are, but I guess that's why most prestige classes in the system start at lvl 3-4.

Danarchy said:

I'd love to, but don't have much experience on playing it online. I guess forums would work best, though I'd have to figure out how to set those up.

I don't mean to shamelessly plug, but we've got a section dedicated to exactly that over at The Abyss if you were interested at all. The section is pretty vacant at the moment, but we had a few RPGs before we moved to the new domain from invisionfree a little less than a year ago. I could make any accommodations you needed to make it work.

Otherwise, it's not too difficult to start a forum up at a place like Zetaboards or something similar.

Guest DILDOMASTER666

I played alot of Doom: The Next Chapter with my three buddies, used to play with ruleset 3.0 before that. Nowadays I just can't find anyone else who even plays, since the friends that I used to campaign with moved at least two hours away.

I spent a whole year playing quite some AD&D, I kinda wanted to get into it again. But I dunno if I have time for it. I also spent a week for some years ago playing LARP :P