Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PhilibusMo

'Glass' linedefs

I know this is a completely noobish question and that it has been asked many times before, but how do you create impassable linedefs that are transparent and look like glass in zdoom (preferably doom in doom format) and preferably breakable, but thats not particuarly important. I am using doom builder 2 if that is any help.

In ZDoom(Doom in Doom) format, use line type 260 for translucence, and make sure you set middle textures for the linedef. Unfortunately in Doom in Doom format you cannot set the degree of translucency, nor can you make it breakable. By the by, line type 260 is a Boom feature so you can use it in any Boom compatible format, as far as I know.

In ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format, using the same line type you can set the amount of translucency as well as some other options.

The "Breakable" line type requires a lot more that I'm sure someone else could explain better than I.

Nomad said:

In ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format, using the same line type you can set the amount of translucency as well as some other options.

The "Breakable" line type requires a lot more that I'm sure someone else could explain better than I.

thanks that's helped immensely, really finished off that section of the map nicely. Could I change the map settings to doom in hexen format and make the changes necissary to create more advanced glass and the switch it back to doom format for the rest of my editing with no ill effects to the level? Or will zdoom not run hexen format pieces if the map is set to be doom in doom format and has doom style door and such?

The map format affects the format that the entire level's data is stored in; a map has to be either one format or the other, you can't mix and match parts.

ah thought so. Ok

one more question on the subject, currently, when the glass is shot at, the bullets go straight through, is there a way i can stop this because I can't work it out. I have impassable, block monster, double sided, lower unpegged and upper unpegged all ticked on the translucent linedef but the bullets go straight through.

Unfortunately, Doom In Doom format does not have a bullet-blocking attribute for linedefs. Do a search for "bullet proof" here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads with suggestions for getting that effect.

Nomad said:

Unfortunately, Doom In Doom format does not have a bullet-blocking attribute for linedefs. Do a search for "bullet proof" here and I'm sure you'll find plenty of threads with suggestions for getting that effect.

Well after having a quick look through the threads I got when I typed in 'bullet proof' and 'bullet proof glass' and 'bullet proof linedef' I couldn't find anythin that helped the problem.

I have thought of a way of sorthing it, is it possible to create a thing that can be walked through but doesn't let bullets through?

DuckReconMajor said:

P.S. What are the advantages of Doom in Doom format?

All ports can read it.

Of course, if you need ZDoom-exclusive features for other things anyway, then it has absolutely no advantage. But if you want to make your project vanilla, limit-removing, or Boom-compatible, then it's what you have to use.

DuckReconMajor said:

P.S. What are the advantages of Doom in Doom format?

Well for me (and I'm guessing new map makers) it's simpler. This is the only reason why I use it. I myself don't understand all of the arguments and what not in hexen format.

Some, but not all, ACS is available in Doom in Doom format and obviously vanilla has no scripting. I think that would be the difference, but I could be wrong.

PhilibusMo said:

ah thought so. Ok

one more question on the subject, currently, when the glass is shot at, the bullets go straight through, is there a way i can stop this because I can't work it out. I have impassable, block monster, double sided, lower unpegged and upper unpegged all ticked on the translucent linedef but the bullets go straight through.

I'm making a similar effect but I'm using the Doom monsters in a museum display.. Is it important to have the lower and upper unpegged linedef attributes selected for this effect?

DemilinX said:

I'm making a similar effect but I'm using the Doom monsters in a museum display.. Is it important to have the lower and upper unpegged linedef attributes selected for this effect?

Nope. Unpegged flags apply to texture alignment, nothing else.

esselfortium said:

Nope. Unpegged flags apply to texture alignment, nothing else.

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought such, but I needed to make sure there wasn't something I was missing here.