Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fatal error

Does anyone remember Hacx?

Some of the sprites are great, others meh. Some maps are pretty good, others meh, others eew! The lack of a final boss is a big disappointment.
If back then they had some extra time I bet they'd have made a hell of a game. Imagine what they could do if they had back then modern source ports.

HacX was a lot of good ideas and impressive texture and sprite work, thrown into a half-finished Doom WAD and some of the worst representation of cyberspace I've seen since the movie Hackers. Though I'll give it this: you can actually run it with my WWHC-Diaz weapon set, making the weapons not suck...

WildWeasel said:

HacX was a lot of good ideas and impressive texture and sprite work, thrown into a half-finished Doom WAD

You know I feel the same way, the first time I played it it looked good visually but the levels were rather boring. I still keep it on my hard drive because it's fun at certian parts though.

HacX 2.0 is currently being worked on by some community members, and is aiming to be ZDoom and EE compatible. I have offered native code support for the project to whatever extent is needed, and I am currently adding some features and bug fixes to EE that will help the project (not the least of which is completing the addition of DECORATE-format state definitions to EDF). We can already load the new 1.2 version, which is meant to be stand-alone, as an IWAD and treat it as a new game mission for DOOM II.

2.0 will replace some of the poor levels, add a proper boss (the GENIE computer or creature or wtfever it actually is, I assume), and probably some other cool stuff.

Quasar said:

HacX 2.0 is currently being worked on by some community members

Is there a progress page somewhere?

I played through Hacx some years back and thought it was pretty cool, but I honestly don't remember much beyond the first level. I actually liked the new sounds and sprites.

Now I'm excited to hear of 2.0. Where can I read more?

I was just about to post about if HacX could get its own startup entry in things like ZDoom, because the same thing happened with Chex Quest. Now I get to wait for a finished project that does something like that, what a pleasant surprise.

I can barely play it as it is now, as it feels like a poor Doom 2 mod, but I do want to play through it, as its in the list of official Doom games. Ive played all the others to completion or to a large extent(Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Chex Quest) so this is the last one on the list.

I found the 2.0 announcement at the Hacx home page

11/24/08 - Believe or not, after nearly 10 years since Hacx has been released, a version 2.0 is currently in production! As many of you may have noticed, the original game was released as, shall we say, a not quite complete product. This was due to the fact that we had to rush it to the market before the Quake engine came out ...not that it made any difference, unfortunately.

Recently, I was contacted by an individual that goes by the online name of Xaser who was real excited about making a complete version for the ZDoom engine. He provided an updated script for all the maps and, based on his awesome enthusiasm and remarkable reworking of the script, I gave him the go ahead to build away. He is currently workin on some maps and building a team.

For more information, check out the newly developed Hacx Forum

It doesn't look like much has been done yet. :(

It starts off strong, but yeah, its rendition of cyberspace is extremely campy, and it trails off into unfinished garbage. It'll be cool to see it "completed".

My favorite TC and I may even call it one of my favorite wads, though it's indeed incomplete and boring sometimes, but I think it's great in the most part. =) And I'm one of those who was disappointed by the fact that sequel's development was cancelled.
Version 2.0 is a surprise to me! Xaser, uh... It will definitely be a hurricane (and madness)! Looking forward to play it one day... =)

I'd thought about making something like HacX with ZDoom. But I dont have any resources and I have other projects that require my attention :S

HacX is my favorite Doom TC of all time. Honestly I'd love to see a sequel/remake at some point.

I still want Hacx 2. The epic drama story should be put aside and released as-is (it could've been commercial published if they really tried anyway, like Zaero q2), though it's funny how its referenced like 'just came out with Quake' and such when Quake came out in July 96 and not 97, and hopes of competing with who's got the better graphics was their driving point.