Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Agent_Ash

Need gloomy skies for skyboxes

Hi, all. I'd really appreciate some help with finding sky textures. The ones that are used as flats in a skybox, not in the classic way. I need some gloomy clouded texture. From some other game or just a good photo, doesn't matter. I just can't find anything suitable. Thanks in advance.

There are a few skies in Hexen that use multiple textures to create a layered fog effect. Also, they translate pretty well into the Doom palette, too (gray is gray is gray, I guess).

Are you using ZDoom? Here's one I found and converted to the Doom palette, this is from the wad itself so it should just plug straight in

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo1/5hfifty/CLOUD_TE.png

Here it is in Doom

http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo1/5hfifty/Screenshot_Doom_20090902_145459.png

..not showing away honest B)

Hope that helps. it's hard to get very smooth gradients in doom but this is the best stormy cloud texture I've found

Hexen doesn't use sky flats as it doesn't use skyboxes. I said, I don't need classic skies.

5hfifty, thanks, but I can make such textures in photoshop myself. I need something more unusual and something larger if possible, to create a good landscape. So, thanks, but I'll wait, maybe someone else has something.

One thing I discovered recently when playing with a negative scanner is that grey cloudy skies are very doomy.

Bright cloudy skies are more striking - greyscale clouds on an orange/brown backdrop - so I suggest you grab some outdoor pictures and see what they look like as negatives.

GreyGhost said:

negatives.

invulnerability? Oh I see!

It becomes more like Doom 2 though, not like rain.

You know what's more disturbing about GreyGhost's example? It looks just like Doom 2 RSKY1.