Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jute

Blasphemer 0.1.1 Released! Contributions Desired.

A new version of Blasphemer is out, along with a much much less hideous website, courtesy of Stilgar: http://www.jeshimoth.com/jutegyte/blasphemer/

This is a pretty minor update, changing the following:
* E1M3 slightly updated.
* E1M7 updated, with some design alterations.
* Swapped music tracks for E1M1 and E1M3.
* New AUTOPAGE graphic.
* Monsters given new, more clearly identifiable placeholders.
* Reorganized wadinfo.txt a bit.

Contributions are greatly appreciated. We could use sprites, maps (both SP and MP), and sound effects.

That liquid texture doesn't really blend in with the rest of the terrain at all.

Can I request that a BLASPHEM lump or something be added to the IWAD? It would allow engines to identify it as being not Heretic, like what ZDoom does with Freedoom which has a FREEDOOM lump.

Also, the AUTOPAGE graphics tile very, very badly and makes the map close to unreadable.

Catoptromancy said:

You can delete all the lumps in that heretic.wad, just leave tex1, playpal, and pnames. Much smaller and still works.
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freedoom.git/tree/bootstrap/README.txt

Gez said:

Can I request that a BLASPHEM lump or something be added to the IWAD? It would allow engines to identify it as being not Heretic, like what ZDoom does with Freedoom which has a FREEDOOM lump.

Will both be done for next release. It would be nice if whatever port authors are listening made "blasphem.wad" detect as a Heretic-mode IWAD, too (IIRC it defaults to Doom 2 and won't work).

Gez said:

Also, the AUTOPAGE graphics tile very, very badly and makes the map close to unreadable.

I didn't think AUTOPAGE had to tile. Damn.

Yep

Also did a bit for the staff. The projectile hit effect isnt as impressive as the rain splashes though (and I only did the color red for now)

Looking cool. :)

Were the multicolor rain drops used for multiplayer? I always noticed them, but I was never sure what they were for.

Snarboo said:

Looking cool. :)

Were the multicolor rain drops used for multiplayer? I always noticed them, but I was never sure what they were for.

Original Heretic has four different actors for the rain. Here's the code for the function that fires the tomed-up projectile:

void A_FireSkullRodPL2(player_t *player, pspdef_t *psp)
{
	player->ammo[am_skullrod] -=
		deathmatch ? USE_SKRD_AMMO_1 : USE_SKRD_AMMO_2;
	P_SpawnPlayerMissile(player->mo, MT_HORNRODFX2);
	// Use MissileMobj instead of the return value from
	// P_SpawnPlayerMissile because we need to give info to the mobj
	// even if it exploded immediately.
	if(netgame)
	{ // Multi-player game
		MissileMobj->special2 = P_GetPlayerNum(player);
	}
	else
	{ // Always use red missiles in single player games
		MissileMobj->special2 = 2;
	}
	if(linetarget)
	{
		MissileMobj->special1 = (int)linetarget;
	}
	S_StartSound(MissileMobj, sfx_hrnpow);
}
As you can see, it's storing a number in special2. That number is the player number (between 0 and 3) in multiplayer, but 2 in single player.

Now for the function that calls the rain:
void A_SkullRodStorm(mobj_t *actor)
{
	fixed_t x;
	fixed_t y;
	mobj_t *mo;
	int playerNum;
	player_t *player;

if(actor->health-- == 0)
	{
		<snip lengthy code that's not important in this post>
	}
	if(P_Random() < 25)
	{ // Fudge rain frequency
		return;
	}
	x = actor->x+((P_Random()&127)-64)*FRACUNIT;
	y = actor->y+((P_Random()&127)-64)*FRACUNIT;
	mo = P_SpawnMobj(x, y, ONCEILINGZ, MT_RAINPLR1+actor->special2);
	mo->target = actor->target;
	mo->momx = 1; // Force collision detection
	mo->momz = -mo->info->speed;
	mo->special2 = actor->special2; // Transfer player number
	P_CheckMissileSpawn(mo);
	if(!(actor->special1&31))
	{
		S_StartSound(actor, sfx_ramrain);
	}
	actor->special1++;
}
The relevant part here is "mo = P_SpawnMobj(x, y, ONCEILINGZ, MT_RAINPLR1+actor->special2);" : if special2 is 0 (for player 1 in MP), it's a MT_RAINPLR1 that's spawned. But MT_RAINPLR1 is followed by MT_RAINPLR2, MT_RAINPLR3 and MT_RAINPLR4. So in single player mode, it's a MT_RAINPLR3 that's spawned.

Note that ports that support more than 4 players in netgames cannot rely on this system, otherwise the fifth player's rain would be of MT_GOLDWANDFX1, the sixth of MT_GOLDWANDFX2, etc. ZDoom, for example, ignores all those extra sprites and simply apply a translation to the red rain sprites; so it has only one raindrop actor.

40oz said:

That liquid texture doesn't really blend in with the rest of the terrain at all.

Fully agreed. It looks like a layer of molten lava, not water.

I made contact sprites for the #4 weapon if you'd like em. I hope it's an ice weapon because I made the contact sprite looks like ice shards. I haven't looked at them ingame yet, but they animate pretty well. Projectiles are pretty fast and easy.

EDIT:
I'm considering making monsters too if i can find the time and motivation. What kinda monsters are ya looking for? I'm presuming Castlevania styled stuff, Skeletons, Bats, Vampires, etc.

40oz: If you post a link I'd love to see those contact sprites. Re: monsters, I'll let Stilgar respond, but we would definitely appreciate it!

40oz said:

EDIT:
I'm considering making monsters too if i can find the time and motivation. What kinda monsters are ya looking for? I'm presuming Castlevania styled stuff, Skeletons, Bats, Vampires, etc.

Skeletons as a replace for the golems would be great.

40oz said:

I made contact sprites for the #4 weapon if you'd like em. I hope it's an ice weapon because I made the contact sprite looks like ice shards. I haven't looked at them ingame yet, but they animate pretty well. Projectiles are pretty fast and easy.

EDIT:

The first splash looks pretty nice in-game, at least with ZDoom's glow effect, but the second one doesn't show. Are those additional FX17 frames one of those unused leftovers in the Heretic .wad perhaps? I presume it's supposed to show up as the powered-up shot, but it doesn't.

Also, if you could do a 5-angle sharp icicle styled projectile to go with those impacts, replacing the Dragon Claw ripper-ball sprites, that would be awesome.

As for monsters, not so much a Castlevania-style bestiary as one with some more unusual designs. The general idea I have in mind is the low-level monsters being more ordinary, while the higher level ones become more freakish and demonic--so it would begin with undead humans and minor demons, and work up into weirder and nastier monsters as they grow stronger. Something like Hexen's monsters crossbred with Quake's would be in the general ballpark. Lovecraftian influences would be good, too. I can elaborate more if you like, or you can put forth some of your ideas based on that.

I might still be doing the Iron Lich replacement myself, I've made a few attempts but haven't quite nailed it down yet. So you might want to start with a different monster. But if I don't show something of it fairly soon, and you want to do him, go for it.

A chicken replacement would be very useful, too. I don't know what it should be, but has to be something that can glide, shed something that is or behaves like feathers, and preferably isn't a chicken. A tiny imp was one idea I had for it.

Torn said:

Skeletons as a replace for the golems would be great.

I'd definitely like the golem replacement to be an undead human of some sort. The concept I'd done was an emaciated cadaver with a few bits of armor and a sword, but it could be some other sort of undead too.

Edit: just saw that the other ice splashes DO show, it's just that they show when hitting a monster instead of the regular one. So nevermind about that, but splashes for the powered-up version would be nice too.

Stilgar said:

Also, if you could do a 5-angle sharp icicle styled projectile to go with those impacts, replacing the Dragon Claw ripper-ball sprites, that would be awesome.

I already got to work on it, I think they should look pretty good. In Heretic, the spiked balls (I assume Dragon claw + tome of power is what you mean) dont have any angles, it's just a two framed animation.

Does this mean all 5 angles have to animate? (I guess i could draw some frost particles trailing behind it) And I'm not really certain of the naming conventions for angles.

EDIT: Also the tome of power causes a bit of glitter to appear in front of the player when he fires the dragon claw. I was thinking a bit of steam, but the glitter falls slowly downwards which wouldn't make sense. I guess I could just draw my own glitter from scratch. Maybe tiny snowflakes or flurries.

As far as I know, you can create rotations for sprites that don't already have them, assuming they aren't hud sprites of course.

40oz said:

I already got to work on it, I think they should look pretty good. In Heretic, the spiked balls (I assume Dragon claw + tome of power is what you mean) dont have any angles, it's just a two framed animation.

Does this mean all 5 angles have to animate? (I guess i could draw some frost particles trailing behind it) And I'm not really certain of the naming conventions for angles.

All the frames have to have all the angles (unless they're angle 0), but the frames themselves don't have to be different if that's not desirable. (i.e. they could just be duplicates of each other)

http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Sprites
In short: It's the numbers that specify the angle while the letters specify the animation frame. It pretty much goes (left and right being the left and right sides of the screen):
1 - directly toward player
2 / 8 - toward, facing left / toward, facing right
3 / 7 - facing directly left / facing directly right
4 / 6 - away, facing left / away, facing right
5 - directly away
(0 means never rotate that frame)
So you just do the left-facing ones for the side angles and let the engine mirror it for the other angles by specifying the mirror frame & angle at the end of the sprite name. So instead of having SLAPA2 and SLAPA8 you have SLAPA2A8 and your left-facing sprite is mirrored for the right-facing angle. The only time you'd really want to go for the full 8 angles without mirroring is on something asymetrical.

Stilgar said:

A chicken replacement would be very useful, too. I don't know what it should be, but has to be something that can glide, shed something that is or behaves like feathers, and preferably isn't a chicken. A tiny imp was one idea I had for it.

A duck!

Heh. I could draw a duck.

Would a Dove or a Crow be more reminiscent to theme of the game?

A vulture.

Yeah, I know, vultures fly. But very badly. They prefer to jump from a high place rather than attempt a take off from the ground.

40oz said:

Would a Dove or a Crow be more reminiscent to theme of the game?

Yeah, but doves and crows aren't outrageous like chickens and ducks!

Cool, it's great to see another release! I would still love to map for this at some point. I'm not sure if I'll ever have the time though :(.

I like the dove or the vulture ideas the best so far. A duck would be okay too.

The dove has some black humor to it and is fitting in that regard. The vulture is icky fitting to the theme. The duck has humor just for being silly. The crow, eh, it's somewhat amusing as a snark to "Raven" and it does fit the theme reasonably, but it doesn't really have that much humor/humiliation value to it aside from that.

Ducks are a win in the sound department quack quack quack

(that last bit added for anyone who's never heard a duck before, hehe)