Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TerminusEst13

What Doom sourceport do you use?

See topic. A simple question, but I'm interested in what other people have.
Do you use ZDoom? Skulltag? Legacy Doom? glDoom? Edge? Chocolate Doom? Doom3D? Do you use more than one? Or something else entirely?

A frequent topic.

Personally, ZDoom and GZDoom. It's easy to mod (there's a lot of features), easy to code for (personal opinion; I prefer C++ to C), and it doesn't use SDL on Windows (a really big plus).

I couldn't live without GZDoom. I just have waaaay too much custom features of my own I can't play without. I only have PrBoom on the side for demos. And of course, SkullTag, so that I can use my ZDoom stuff to play with my friends.

I use Eternity for most of my actual playing nowadays, ZDoom/GZDoom/Skulltag for anything that specifically requires them, and Chocolate Doom for testing in-progress vanilla maps.

Latest versions of ZDoom and PrBoom+

With occasional bursts of Chocolate.

I usually use Chocolate Doom, glboom+, or GZDoom. I also run vanilla in DOSBox. I'll start using Risen3D once they put the red pain flash back in. Also, I didn't find out until now that Eternity supported 1680x1050. I'll probably start using that more often, too.

GZdoom is my sourceport of choice. I like to have clean, crisp resolution when playing Doom and I find OpenGL does that best. Plus GZDoom is so versatile, it plays nearly all the wads designed for other ports.

PrBoom-Plus, ZDoom, Vanilla in DOSBox and on DOS.

I have PrBoom, Chocolate and Skulltag installed but don't often have a need to touch them.

In order of preference:

Eternity Engine is my favorite advanced port for play. It has all the features I need and many I have not yet explored. EE gets significantly better all the time, without sacrificing that original Doom feel.

PrBoom was the first port I used in Windows after leaving BOOM behind in DOS. PrBoom doesn't have all the features of other advanced ports, but is compatible with most if not all vanilla wads.

PrBoom+ is good for playing demos that don't seem to work right in other ports, even though usually I don't know why.

ZDoom only for wads that need it. It has plenty of advanced features, but lacks that original Doom feel. I do not have ZDoom installed right now.

I have tried many other ports, and they are all great, but I always go back to one of the above.

EDIT: I also use DOOM.EXE and BOOM in DOSBox, but mostly just for testing and not for regular play.

I use PrBoom+ for Doom and ZDoom for Hexen. I rarely ever use a GL sourceport because I just looooove software mode.